Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Psychology -> Is it normal to hear voices in your head? This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Is it normal to hear voices in your head?

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Psychology Resources

Psychology articles

Free Self-Help articles

Uncommon Knowledge Psychology Newsletter

Popular Psychology Book Reviews

Psychology Training Courses

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
Mainer

Post Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:46 pm

Hearing a deep voice in the night    Reply with quote  

For the past few months when I have been laying in bed trying to go to sleep I have been hearing a voice in my head, at first it sounds like it is just inside my ear and I have to concentrate for it to become clearer and move like into the middle of my head. It becomes quite loud at this point (as in just louder than a whisper) but I can't really make it out. I am aware at this point that I am not asleep as I am fully aware of my surroundings. I can never clearly make out what it is saying though. Someone I have told this to thinks it migh be a ghost, but I think otherwise...

HighVoltage13

Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:06 pm

Yeah sometimes I do. Sometimes it's just the regular voice you hear when you talk to yourself but I will get odd ones when I'm in a weird situation. If I'm nervous about something I can hear a voice telling me to say things that might result in being embarressed or totally un-called for.
JMR

Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:15 pm

hi vicky, just to say I don't think you are schizophrenic, I don't think you should worry about that. Schizophrenics don't have any insight into their problem - they REALLY think the voices are real, or that their walls are crawling with bugs, or that the CIA have planted a chip in their foot and are watching them... and if you try and tell them any different, they think YOU are the one that is mad! You know these voices aren't real and that's good. What do YOU want to do with the voices? Do you feel curious, like you want to be able to make out what they are saying? Or do you want them to shut up and leave you alone? (I'm not an expert by the way, just someone who is interested in people's thoughts.)

Is the rest of your life normal? You interact OK, socially and you have a steady job or equivalent?
dragginthru

Post Fri Dec 16, 2005 10:38 pm

Re: Is it normal to hear voices in your head?    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by Vicky Harp Seal Pup
I've had this problem for ages; when I've just got into bed and start to relax I hear voices in my head. It never happens during the daytime, just at night.

Hey Vicky

When I go to bed, especially if I'm in that twilight state and almost nodding off, I hear voices. Often my mums funnily enough :S I never experience it in the day - only at the time when falling to sleep. I've only started noticing it of late, and it does indeed seem "real" and "unreal" - as soon as you divert your attention TO it - it seems to dissappear.

Anyway - there are definite changes in dopamine (a neurotransmitter) levels during sleep (and high levels of dopamine correlate with such hallucinations, such as in schizophrenia).

A quick search on the internet found this in a glossary/encyclopedia type site:

"Some people experience hypnagogic or hypnopompic hallucinations, where unusual sensory experierences or thoughts appear during waking or drifting off to sleep. These are normal sleep phenomena, however, and are not considered signs of psychosis."

So if it doesnt intrude on your general functioning, dont worry. Sleep is a very complex thing and still not that well understood Smile
Neko

Post Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:17 am

Re: Is it normal to hear voices in your head? Reply with    Reply with quote  

Aah, I hav been having similar experiences lately, i think stress has something to do with mine. Reading posts like these have really helped though, nice to know i'm not alone.

I hear voices usually when i want to go to sleep, sometimes from people I think know sometimes I'm not sure. They also give me orders, e.g. masturbate, sing, cry or even to kill myself. Before when I thought the voices were real (I had this bizzare conception that this person was communicating with me telepathically) I did actually follow an order to masturbate, at which point the voice proceeded to tell me she 'loved me.' Pretty sick, eh.

The voices have been so intense that they cause insomnia, to the point where I have to turn the television on or listen to the radio or cd. When I do, I usually hear a swift order to 'Turn it off!'

I am beginning to get the symtoms more under control as I learn more about it, and put it down to an overactive imagination not being expressed enough as well as going through a bit of a rough patch in life.

However, any insights or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanx for listening
headfonez

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 3:05 pm

Re: Is it normal to hear voices in your head?    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by Vicky Harp Seal Pup
I've had this problem for ages; when I've just got into bed and start to relax I hear voices in my head. It never happens during the daytime, just at night. They say my name over again, usually. For a few months it was always my dad saying my name over and over. It sounded so real that I told him to stop. Sometimes I can hear people having conversations but it's always muffled and the voices are all intertwined, like when you're in a room with lots of people. I can't understand what they're saying. Last night it got worse. I was thinking about something when a woman said my name in my head. Her voice was gravelly and she sounded really disappointed in me and quite snobby too, like I had done something wrong. It felt like she was treating me like a little kid. I then wondered if what I had been thinking were bad thoughts, but I had forgotten what I had been thinking about. Her voice sounded there, but NOT there. It's very hard to explain. Kind of like her voice was coming from behind me but at the back of my head, actually inside my head, right at the back.

yeah
Khay

Post Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:27 pm

All I can add to this is the possibility that it is totaly natural.

When we go to sleep we dream, the brain goes through various stages of sleep and we sort out the days issues.

This could very well just be an extension of a dream like state, the begining, much like a day dream, or like when a dream wakes you up and for a few moments you arn't sure where you are.

The most important thing is to go and see a Doc, either way they will help you out. I am pretty sure most people experience this type of thing, some just are more turned on to their own thoughts and are quicker to notice and analyze things.

If you are percieving these "voices" as actual audible sounds, as clear as if someone was actually taklking to you, I would say this would be better evidence of a psychosis type illness, rather than how you make it sound, more like a lucid, kind of dream thought...erm thingy (sorry ran out of words hehe).
shorty7

Post Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:09 am

in schizophrenia, u dont no the voices r in ur head. i dont think u have that
Evannah

Post Wed Dec 21, 2005 1:34 am

quote:
Originally posted by Khay
All I can add to this is the possibility that it is totaly natural.

When we go to sleep we dream, the brain goes through various stages of sleep and we sort out the days issues.

This could very well just be an extension of a dream like state, the begining, much like a day dream, or like when a dream wakes you up and for a few moments you arn't sure where you are.

The most important thing is to go and see a Doc, either way they will help you out. I am pretty sure most people experience this type of thing, some just are more turned on to their own thoughts and are quicker to notice and analyze things.

If you are percieving these "voices" as actual audible sounds, as clear as if someone was actually taklking to you, I would say this would be better evidence of a psychosis type illness, rather than how you make it sound, more like a lucid, kind of dream thought...erm thingy (sorry ran out of words hehe).

No, it sounds real. Sometimes it sounds like they're behind me. They call my name. The one that really sticks in mind though is the one where the woman was disappointed in me. I had never heard her voice before but she sounded really disappointed. Like you know the voice someone will put on when they look at you, shake their head and put their hands on their hips? It sounded like she was my mother or big sister or something. But she sounded like she was coming from behind me but at the back of my head at the same time. I even turned around, just on impulse. I heard the voice and so I just assumed that someone was behind me. And then I was convinced that her face was looking at me through the darkness. It turned out to be my clothes that I had put on the back of my computer chair. In the darkness though, we imagine that there are so many things looking at us, don't we? that's normal, I know that. But what isn't normal is the voices!
Neko

Post Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:25 pm

Normal Voices    Reply with quote  

Yes I think it is quite normal for an adult to occasionally hear voices in their head what with all the brain has to process in this day and age!!

What helped me was telling myself that the voices were just parts of my memories and sub-concsious expressing themselves. Once I made that connection they seem to ease away. Seems to me that you feel, through your memories, that you haven't really lived up to your mother or older sister's expectations and you are a little haunted by that thought. Maybe talking with them might help?
DanMan~~

Post Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:18 am

My best estimate:

When you are contiously controling the voices it is normal,
but surely, in my mind the voices are basicly unified and not loud.
I can make them loud if i want but i dont need to and it takes focus.

Imagining words is difforent then that noise sort of voice mass that you have had. If taking "medication" "helps" then try that. If not, do some big focus on nutrition and suplimentation! Avoid consuming or breathing in anything even that is "non-harmful" yet toxic in large quantity, because alergies and toxins can iritate weaknesses.

If the "problem" gets "worse" then become very focused on a solution, please, tell your family.
leebuddy

Post Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:41 am

it's demons I tell you, DEMONS!!!!!!

nah. ya know i think it's funny that just about every post i've read so far in this forum--and i haven't read many yet as I'm a new member--I've had similar "problems" that I've wondered to myself before if they were problems, and then just said to myself, nah probably everybody experiences this, and then I've been fine.

so voices in your head at night in bed? that's like as normal and not a problems as getting hungry. I mean for one thing, everything is probably quiet and you're not thinking about anything else, and you're trying to relax to go to sleep. no big deal, you may still be aware of your surroundings and be awake, but I'd still guess you're prob going through some kind of stage of conciousness nearing falling asleep that's not unlike dreaming. but i don't really know how all that works. should prob read up on it.

all i know is it happens to me. hearing the chatter like conversations going on between people and i can't make it out--get that a lot. don't usually imagine someone calling my name though. but really, I'd say it started as you either thinking to yourself about imagining it to yourself, or thinking about not imagining to yourself--either of which would make you imagine it. and now, you prob keep thinking that it's distracting and you'd rather not imagine it, but you can't stop because you want to stop. just think positively about imagining something else, be optimistic and constructive and run towards something you want, not away from something you don't want.

anyway, I'm certainly no expert, and I only read some of the posts from the beginning of this thread so I dunno what else has been addressed.
snappydog

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:42 pm

I have the same sort of problem - I used to talk to myself a lot, but recently the replies have not been sent by me, at least not consciously. I began to have a conversation with myself one day walking home from school, and one of the voices talking was not mine - it said things that I would not normally say. I said, 'you're not me' and it replied, 'I am, just not the same you.' It has been getting a bit stronger recently and often talks to me - it even calls itself Matt now. I'm wondering whether this is some kind of multiple personality, or just my subconscious - anyone able to help?
snappydog

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:44 pm

I have the same sort of problem - I used to talk to myself a lot, but recently the replies have not been sent by me, at least not consciously. I began to have a conversation with myself one day walking home from school, and one of the voices talking was not mine - it said things that I would not normally say. I said, 'you're not me' and it replied, 'I am, just not the same you.' It has been getting a bit stronger recently and often talks to me - it even calls itself Matt now. I'm wondering whether this is some kind of multiple personality, or just my subconscious - anyone able to help?
snappydog

Post Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:45 pm

Double post? Sorry! Didn't mean to do that.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: