Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Anxiety and Panic Attacks -> Cipralex... This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Cipralex...

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Panic Attacks and Anxiety Resources

Free panic attacks course

What are panic attacks? (article)

Panic attacks and your basic needs (article)

Anxiety and depression (article)

Anxiety FAQ

Panic attacks CD

Panic attacks

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
cazza

Post Mon Aug 07, 2006 12:54 pm

I've been taking 10mg of Cipralex now for over 4 months. When i first started i too was having horrible side effects, shaking, tiredness, headaches and feeling dizzy and sick. After about two to three weeks though these started to disappear and the medication really started to help.

I've been taking my tablets on a night before i go to bed with a full glass of water, but the only problem was i was having very bad, vivid dreams - so now i've changed to a morning after i brush my teeth. Instead of before when i would wake up grumpy feel ok during the day and then go to bed grumpy, my good mood lasts most of the day and I dont have as many bad dreams.

However since i've been taking the tablets and seeing a psychologist (talking about my feelings) I've been self harming (cutting myself) and a couple of weeks ago took an overdose - something which i deeply regret. It did make me realise though that the tablets only make you feel better and its up to you to do the rest. Im keeping a diary of my thoughts and keeping up my appointments with my psychologist. I've been told by my Dr that i may be on the medication for up to a year and a half - if not longer. This was a shock to me but if thats how long it takes then so be it. Everyone is different though and what works for one person doesnt necessarily work for another. My best advice is write down your thoughts and feelings ITS REALLY HELPED ME!

MariaMaria

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:26 pm

Hello Cazza. Very good advice in writing down your thoughts etc. It does help like you say. Another helpful piece of advice for people on Cipralex or a similar prescription is that try to convince yourself that you may probably be on them for most of your life on and off if not permanently. There is nothing wrong with this and it does not make you inferior to other more 'normal' people. Nobody thinks anything of people on drugs to control their high blood pressure for life, only maybe poor them. Anxiety, depression etc is an illness just like theirs and you must not feel degraded just because you have it. Learn to accept that you have it and do not feel ashamed then maybe, just maybe, you can progress forward to your every day living and a small, maybe big, weight will be lifted from your shoulders.
charley

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:32 pm

cipralex v speed    Reply with quote  

I started taking cipralex on and off for a year and a half and I started taking it properly a year ago. I think it's 10 mg (once a day).
I also take anphtemine regularly and suffer from really bad PMT.

Could you please advise me of what effects this will have on me in the long and short term?

I've been using speed for about 4 or 5 years about twice a week to help stay slim.
I have a very healthy diet and exercise at least four times a week at the gym.
Kar67

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:45 pm

Charley

If you eat a healthy diet and excercise regularly then why the need to take speed Question

Speed causes depression, anxiety , mood swings and many other things that mess your head up. Im sure you GP would tell you the same Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation
SHARLENE89

Post Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:48 pm

hi all im shar,
i have been on cipralex almost four years now.i could not live without them.
they have been a blessing and a miracle for me.
here is my advice
1,give at least six weeks for them to kick in.
2,never miss more than 1 dose
3,try never to drink alcohol in the first six weeks
4,work with them not against them
5,never come off them too soon or without the permission of your doctor

these are my own personal experiences and i have felt the consequences of each of these five.
anyone got any advice for me? plz feel free to reply
Luca

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:41 am

Hi all,
I suffer from panic attacks so I'm taking Cipralex for about 1 month, I noticed some headaches in the afternoon for about 2 or 3 days but I think it's normal.
My mood now is fine and it seems that panic attacks are disappeared.
I have a question for you, why all of you say not to drink alcohol in the first month? I'm a 23 years old boy and in the evening I always drink a couple of beers with my friends without having any side effect...I'hope I'm not doing something wrong..
Have a nice day
Kar67

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:50 am

Luca

I too have a few glasses of wine in the evenings and even though it makes me feel sleepy dont think it is causing any other probs.

Sharlene

Im presuming after the 6 weeks you have drank alcohol. I have been taking Cipralex for 3 months now.

I did put a post up a couple of weeks ago, wanting feedback on Cipralex and alcohol but did not get any replies Crying or Very sad
charley

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:17 am

quote:
Originally posted by Kar67
Charley

If you eat a healthy diet and excercise regularly then why the need to take speed Question

Speed causes depression, anxiety , mood swings and many other things that mess your head up. Im sure you GP would tell you the same Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Thanks for you reply.

I take the speed because it still helps to keep my wieght in check. Even with a healthy diet and exercise my body still puits on weight too easily.
my boyfriend is a personal trainer and so we both follow a heathy diet and exercise regularly. He has NO idea I take speed or the I take cipralex.
I don't want him to know I suffer from depression.

Thanks to cipralex no one knows I suffer from depression, I'm mostly happy and motivated but when I'm pre menstrual I'm the opposite, near on suicidal, angry, irritated, mood swings, paranoia etc.. do you that the speed will make this worse or is my body/brain used to it by now???
Kar67

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:23 am

charley

Have a read of this. Take particular attention to the risks of mixing speed with anti-depressants.

Amphetamines like speed are usually sold in wraps like cocaine. The powder is off-white or pinkish and can sometimes look like small crystals. Base speed is purer and is a pinkish-grey colour and feels like putty.

Crystal Meth (Methamphetamine or Methylamphetamine) is processed speed that looks like off-white rocks or crystals. Both Speed and Crystal Meth are Amphetamines although Crystal Meth is able to be smoked, it is much stronger and more likely to lead to dependence.

Prescription amphetamines like dexamphetamine are usually small white pills.

Speed's either dabbed onto the gums or sniffed in lines like cocaine using a rolled up bank note. Sometimes it's rolled up in cigarette paper and swallowed. This is called a speedbomb. It can be mixed in drinks, or injected and methamphetamine can be smoked in its 'crystal' form.

The effects kick in after about half an hour if ingested but much quicker if injected or smoked (methamphetamine) and can last for up to six hours. But it all depends on the quality of the speed. The high is followed by a long slow comedown.

8 - 12 per wrap

Speed isn't the purest drug on the block. Most of it only contains 5-10% amphetamine. It can be cut with Vitamin C, caffeine or any other substance so you don't know what may be in it. Base speed is usually purer.

Speed makes people feel wide awake, excited and chatty. Clubbers take it because it gives them the energy to dance for hours without getting knackered.
Speed was once the main ingredient in diet pills because it stops people feeling hungry.
There is a flip side:

It's impossible to sit still or sleep on speed
The come down can make users feel irritable and depressed and can last for one or two days.
Speed makes some people panicky. Sniff a lot in a short space of time and expect hallucinations.

You can get addicted to Speed. The more speed you take the greater chance you'll need to take more to get the same buzz.

Speed users have died from overdose.
Speed puts a strain on your heart. It's bad news for people with high blood pressure or a heart condition. An overdose can be fatal.
Avoid taking speed and anti-depressants or alcohol. This combination has been known to be fatal.
Taking a lot of speed can give your immune system a battering. You could get more colds, flu and sore throats if you use it a lot.
Speed can lead to anxiety, depression, irritability and aggression as well as mental illness such as psychosis and paranoid feelings.
Too much sniffing speed and you're sneezing lumps out of your nose into a hanky.
Injecting any drug can cause vein damage, ulcers and gangrene. Dirty or shared needles and injecting works can help the spread of hepatitis and HIV. Injecting speed is particularly dangerous because it's cut with so much crap.
It's easier to overdose injecting

Speed is a Class B drug - illegal to have, give away or sell. Prepared for injection Speed becomes a Class A and can get you tougher sentencing if you're caught with it or selling it.

Possession can get you up to five years in jail and an unlimited fine. Supplying someone else with it can get you up to 14 years and an unlimited fine.

Fact: Passing drugs among friends is supplying in the eyes of the law.

Fact: A drug conviction could stand between you and your ideal job.

>>> Talk to FRANK
If you've got a question about drugs.

>>> Getting help
If you need practical help with a drug problem, search for drug projects and organisations in your area.
charley

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:05 pm

Thanks for your help Rolling Eyes
Kar67

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:26 pm

No problem

Hope you dont think I am judging u in any way. Just concerned for your health.

K x
Luca

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:22 pm

Thanks Kar67,
anyone has experienced problems using Cipralex and drinking alcohol ?
SHARLENE89

Post Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:34 pm

Hi all,its shar again
i know that some of you are drinking with cipralex and that is your decision and maybe it will not affect you,i mean two glassess of wine is probably fine,but i was drinking two bottles of wine.i was using alcohol as a coping method while the tablets kicked in,however,i perfomed violent deeds,on one occasion nearly killing a man.it was an unprovoked attack,it was over in seconds and i was as shocked as him.i had drank for a number of years before cipralex and had never experienced anything like that before and now only drink occasionally and little.anti deppressants affect different people in different ways and this is only my own personal experience.
Kar67

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:50 am

Sharlene and Luca

I have to say a few times when I have had more than a few glasses I have become very angry and moody and have ended up arguing with hubby over silly things. I did not have any alcohol until a cpl of weeks ago and not sure my mood has been so good since I started drinking again. Like you said in moderation I think is ok but too much probably effects the way the medication works.

K x
dawnlane

Post Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:19 pm

hi,
i started off on 5ml of cipralex for a week and for the past 10 days have been on 10ml. my husband says i have been better then i have been in months, the panic attacks have almost stopped but i am still experiencing some anxiety, a slight tightness in my chest. However on friday out of the blue i had a terrible sensation run through my body, i cant describe what it was like i thought i was gona collapse or die, it was as if my body was not my own for about a minuet after it had stopped i could not stop shaking. Now this has frightened me so much ive felt anxsious all weekend thinking it is gona happen again and ive had a terrible headache all day. Has anyone had this happen to them while taking cipralex. please let me no.

thanks
Dawn[/i][/b]

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: