math in psychology

Psychotherapists, counsellors, and people. Helpers of all persuasions. Discuss cases, ideas and training.

Postby tealhannah » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:55 pm

Hello, I'm doing a project for math class involving how math is used in my future career (psychology) and I wondered if anyone IN the career could tell me why (or why not, I guess...) you have needed a good education in math throughout your career. Anything you tell me helps, so thank you in advance for your advice!
-Teal :D
tealhannah

Postby Leix » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:50 pm

In the UK when studying Psychology in particular, it`s vital a student demonstrates the use of statistical data collected from subjects to support their original hypothesis. A good understanding of Math(s) can really help.

Hope that does.
Leix
Preferred Member

Postby tealhannah » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:09 pm

Yes, thank you very much!! :D Anyone else have anything to add?
tealhannah

Postby gabrielle knox » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:55 pm

i have the exact same assignment and i would appreciate if you could share your answers with me i attend ruhigh and that would b nice thank you gabby 09
gabrielle knox

Postby Kyodo » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:28 pm

Erm, well there are various sub-sections of psycholgy like quantitative psychology which involves the application of mathematical and statistical modeling in psychological research, and the development of statistical methods for analyzing and explaining behavioral data. The term

Quantitative psychology is relatively new and little used (only recently have Ph.D. programs in quantitative psychology been formed), and it loosely covers the longer standing subfields psychometrics and mathematical psychology.
Kyodo