Heart skips a beat--"PVC's"

Postby skippy66 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:31 pm

OMG just had probably my worst ever episode - just sitting there at my laptop when suddenly bang, heart seems to go crazy (NOT fast, just irregular) for about 5 seconds.

This coincided with a rush of blood and feeling of pressure in my head. I seriously thought that was the end of me.

Then after 5 seconds, back to normal, and the feeling of pressure in my head subsides.

The only possible trigger I can think of is that I have not eaten for a while and my PVCs tend to happen quite a lot when I go too long without eating - maybe a blood sugar thing?

Please can somebody tell me what just happened to me coz it scared me sh**less. Should I go to A & E? I feel normal again now.

I am at my wits end with these longer episodes - individual PVCs I can handle, but that must have been 5,6,7 in a row. Why the head rush??

Thanks.
skippy66

Likes Received: 0

Postby newportwa » Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:31 pm

I have had that happen several times but the doctor told me mine is related to hormones. He also said that it can happen whenever there is rush of adrenaline for any reason. If your heart is OK and it only lasts a few seconds, it should be OK.

Tara, how are you feeling and how are things going with the house?

Karen
newportwa

Postby mrsvolvo » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:24 pm

Dear Skippy66 sounds like what I have had many times and I'll be honest, I can rarely work out the trigger as they can happen anytime, anywhere and during any activity. I think the heart irregularity is just another face of these darn ectopics and maybe the head rush is part of the panic that is often associated with them. When your mind perceives a major threat ie: heart problem, then your body goes through a reaction. These can vary depending on the threat. Try looking up the symptoms of panic attacks and see if it describes your head rush. In my case, I have lost count of the amount of head rushes I've head because of panics. But if your still worried then go get it checked. I've said before that if I'm at the point where I need reassurance then I go get it. I don't care what anyone else thinks, it's better than suffering in silence. Don't be embarassed and don't be apologetic, if it's what you need then it's a necessity and don't let anyone make you feel bad for needing it. A good dr will understand your worry. And any good dr will say, if in doubt, check it out!!! After all isn't that their job? I hope I've helped Skip. Sorry it took so long to reply but because of the time difference, you message posted at 4.31AM so I have only just read it.
Luv Lyn
mrsvolvo

Postby taramed » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:27 am

Hi everyone,

Thank's for asking about the move Karen. We are still moving, It is such a pain but I'm so glad to be a home owner! It's really hard carrying all the stuff because lifting heavy stuff sets off the pac's and pvc's,yuck!!!

We have had decent weather though well in the 50's. I had a racing heart beat last night and woke up from it and it was skiping too, so i just got up and walked around and had some water and sat in the kitchen for a while they finally went away. I hate that when my heart starts skipping and wakes me up it stinks.

I forgot who asked about the multiple skips but i have that a lot where my heart will skip a bunch of times in a row that's the worst feeling and the pauses those are really bad too. But I'm still here so I thank god for that.

And when it won't go away i just go to the ER even though they act like it is never a big deal i feel better being in the er and getting checked than thiking i may drop over at home so i think if something worries you bad go get it checked out.

love all of you everyone is in my prayers.

Tara :)))
taramed

Postby Momx2 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:22 am

Skippy66 I have *exactly* those types of episodes also and they are by far the WORST. I only started having those types in the last year or so, I told my cardio "something feels DIFFERENT" but he insists it's nothing. I haven't ever captured one of those episodes on a monitor though...so I just assume it's a variation of palpitations.

It's just like you wrote - out of the blue - your heart will suddenly beat very erratically like it's just completely out of sync and you are having several multiples in a row - then followed by what I describe as a "draining" sensation, I also described it to my doctor as an intense "in an elevator" sensation. VERY weird.

I can handle the random isolated PVCs, the pvc's that come every other beat even aren't as bad as the weird erratic episodes like you are describing. I have had these episodes probably once a week for almost a year now. Each time I try to get my finger to my pulse to feel exactly what the rhythm is but by then it's gone back to normal - so in reality this is only lasting a few seconds at most, but it feels so BAD! :(

I wish I could capture one of these episodes on a monitor to really see what the heck it is. Sometimes after the "draining" sensation I feel very tired for up to an hour. It's miserable.
Momx2

Postby manyana » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:15 am

hi folks

hi skippy - i used to have these episodes too - i would be just sitting there and suddenly feel what felt like a bunch of butterflies let loose in my chest - if i felt my pulse it would be all over the place - slow fast pause - few fast - couple slow - etc etc
my doc said it was probably just a rush of pvcs in between normal beats so i accepted that - they cant do anything the docs unless they see it on a monitor or something - if you go to er with it - all they do is monitor you and if it is anything then their aim is to get you back into sinus rythmn - so if your heart has already done this on its own within seconds they're not concerned

when i had atrial flutter though - it was exactly the same feeling as the butterflies in chest - i happened to be hooked up to a monitor and in hospital at the time - i just thought it was a rush of pacs/pvcs again - but the docs told me it was a 10 second episode of atrial flutter ! - they weren't concerned at all as it stopped so quickly and my doc said only to be concerned if it doesnt stop - then go to hospital and they will stop it for you

so i wouldnt be too worried about it - im not any more - was terrified at first tho lol!!
i think the head rush thing is the blood getting pumped hard by the heart on its "proper" beats

hi to everyone else and their unpredictable hearts!
take care all
lynne
:)
manyana
Preferred Member

Postby Joz1972 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:04 pm

Hi guys,

sorry that you're all still suffering (although Julesh you're doing well hun).

I've had quite a lot today but I'm premenstrual so there you go. There is definately a hormonal link! On Saturday I am being very brave and getting the train from York to Birmingham NEC (on my own!) to a big craft show (papercraft is my hobby) and meeting up with 30+ members of a craft forum. I'm getting very nervous now in case I have a bad palps day but I'm determined to go as I think I'll have a superb day if I let myself relax! So please wish me luck :wink:

By the way, I sometimes get the totally irregular heart thing too that lasts for several seconds. VERY scary I hate it when that happens! :( But I've had them infrequently since about 15 and I'm 33 now so they haven't killed me yet! :D

I read this forum most days and really feel for each and every one of you struggling with these beastly pvc's but we're helping each other through by sharing our worries. We will beat this!

Love Joz xxx

PS Has anyone heard from Janie (breakfastmonster)? She hasn't posted on here for ages that I know of and she used to post now and then. Hi Janie if you're reading this - hope you're ok. xxx
Joz1972

Postby Joz1972 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:15 pm

Just found these and wanted to post them to say KEEP SMILING :D

Joz1972

Postby Helsbels » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:16 pm

Skippy - hope you're feeling better today - I've also had the erratic lots of skipped beats in a run also with the head rush thing - and it is very frightening. It looks as though many of us have experienced this horrid type of rhythm and I have mentioned it my consultant in the past and he just says don't worry and if it goes on for a long time then he says just take yourself off to A&E to be checked! Even though it is usually for seconds it seems to last for ages. Hopefully you can feel reassured that you're not alone!

Hi Lynne - hope yours is still behaving itself in general!! Hi Tara - you must be very excited about your new house - lots to occupy yourself with now!

Hi Julesh - nice to hear from you again and its great that things have really calmed dow for you now - I was reading over some of your old posts and you did have a tough time didn't you - so there's hope for us all!!!

Hi Joz - wishing you lots of luck on your trip to the NEC - I always get worried before I have to do anything big like that but I just make sure I always have a bottle of water with me, my beta blockers (not sure if you're on them or not) and obviously my mobile and then I feel I'm as prepared as I can be so that helps - I'm sure you'll have a great day and look forward to hearing how you get on. I've often wondered how Janie is getting on too - hopefully she's getting on fine - hi if you're reading!

Thinking of you all
Helen x
Helsbels
Preferred Member

Postby breakfastmonster » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:19 pm

HELLOO
Last edited by breakfastmonster on Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
breakfastmonster

Postby breakfastmonster » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:20 pm

I've often wondered how Janie is getting on too - hopefully she's getting on fine - hi if you're reading!

HI HELSBELS

It's Janie - I am still around! I log on quite regularly and always read everyones posts. Thanks for asking after me.

I still get lots of skipped beats, but some days I go without any. Today I've probably had 10 ish.

I've also been reading some other threads by someone called KROM and also another called KYS on another forum within the ANXIETY/PANIC ATTACKS bit (sorry I can't be more specific or give links etc., I am the biggest technophobe around!). They talk about negative thoughts and fear of dying/your kids dying etc. I get this a lot and it causes huge anxiety waves and adrenaline rushes. I think I will die and leave my kids, which scares the s**t out of me, but what's even worse is my constant fear that tone of them will die. I read things like those poor little angels in Corfu and I can't stop thinking about them or reading up on it. I just have to try to understand that their Mummy will survive it. I know I'm weird.......

I am starting to believe that our physical problems ARE linked to stress, anxiety and worry. KROM explains that adrenaline rushes can cause many chemical and physical reactions, but the only ones which happens IMMEDIATELY is the rush of warmth and increased heart rate. After the adrenaline rush, many other things happen - pvcs, palpitations, headaches, nausea, dizziness...... I am beginning to believe that these damn heart things ARE stress related, but we all disagree 'cos we can't pin point what triggers them.

I don't know....... it's just another theory for us to mull over, but have a look at the forums (if you can find them!), especially if you have negative thoughts and worries and irrational fears.

Take care all and I do still log on, still have pvcs and still think about you all - I just don't like to keep posting the same old ideas and moans when you are all low enough!!

Love Janiexx

PS: Love all your photos and it's nice to see how you look. If only I could suss out how to load a photo, I'd do it too. Maybe 41 is just too old to learn new tricks.

night night...
breakfastmonster

Postby breakfastmonster » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:27 pm

PS Has anyone heard from Janie (breakfastmonster)? She hasn't posted on here for ages that I know of and she used to post now and then. Hi Janie if you're reading this - hope you're ok. xxx[/quote]

HI JOZ!!!!

Just realised you've asked after me too. Thanks so much for thinking of me. My hubby has strict instructions to log on here and tell you all if I drop dead of a huge coronary, just so you can all go to A and E and demand further tests! I'm sure it won't happen!

Have a quick look at my post of earlier to Helsbels. There is some really interesting stuff on this website in other parts other than just this "heart misses a beat" part. Not that I've deserted it, as I log on at least twice a week, just to read and catch up.

Take care and have a lovely time at the NEC. I'm sure you'll be fine. Just remember that they can't and won't hurt you and take a deep breath and walk away from each and every thump! Good luck mate.

Janie xx
breakfastmonster

Postby breakfastmonster » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:33 pm

http://www.uncommonforum.com/viewtopic. ... highlight=

HEY!!!

I think I've managed to copy a link for you! I don't know if this will help anyone and I don't want to assume you all have these irrational "death" thoughts like me, but if you do then take a look. KROM seems a very honest bloke who's been there, dealt with it and come out the other side - fully equiped to help people in the same position.

I hope you don't need the link but if you do .....

See ya. Janie xx
breakfastmonster

Postby wilt » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:16 pm

Hi joz,

That kitten is just adorable - wrap it up and send it to me immediately

I,m stuck with painting these :- see the cheetas on wilts picture show in the light lounge
Last edited by wilt on Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wilt

Postby newportwa » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:37 am

Hey Wilt, I loved the picture you sent me. We have started the long string of rainy days and the warm colors cheer me up! I did wake up feeling like that dog this morning though! Luckily the first stop is the gym and that helps.

Hello to everyone.

Karen
newportwa

PreviousNext