Cipralex...

#885

Postby scampo » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:01 pm

I switched to Remeron / Zispin from citalopram (like Cipralex) because of bad side effects with it. The Zispin has been far, far better but is very sedating. I understand that trazodone is like that, too. I think you'll find it absolutley fine. You might want to ask your doctor about Remeron - it's supposed to be a better choice than trazodone, having less side effects. Have a look at Crazy Meds site if you want to know more.
scampo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2095
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:15 am
Location: UK - East Midlands


#886

Postby Spykke » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:57 am

I wanted to add my experiences with Cipralex.

I was prescribed 5mg a day to deal with my depression and anxiety attacks. The first week I felt that I was on another planet with sudden bouts of anxiety which came and went rather as if a tap was being turned on and off. After a week I felt great - I liken it to having looked through a dirty window for years only to have it washed clean. My wife claims her old husband has been abducted and replaced with a new one. Interesting the comments about the placebo effect. I'm not sure how much this is a factor in my case but the tablets certainly had an effect beyond just making me feel better.

Side effects? Oh yes, there are several - Hot flushes (my wife thinks this is hilarious), weariness with aching limbs and falling asleep early afternoon (sudden without warning). All of these are tolerable given the lift my mind has received.

In my opinion Cipralex is a godsend for me.
Spykke
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:52 am

#887

Postby Olgadapolga » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:06 pm

Marius wrote:dear all,

I had been on Cipralex just for 5 weeks and my doctor decided to give up taking it because of site effects. I gave up taking it 6 weeks ago but I remaind with headaches and some problems with my eyes (high introcular pressure and dry eye syndrom). Have anyonme of you experienced these site effects ?
I was advice to take trittico (trazodone) but because of bad experience with Cipralex I haven't started to take this new med.
Any advice for me ? Unfortunately I am not able to see the light from the end of tunel...

Thank you in advance,

Best regards,


I was on Trazodone (Molipaxin) twice for about 6 months-year and it was great esp for my problems sleeping. The only bad side effect I remeber (it's over 6 years since I last took it) was a hangover effect in the morning that is the only reason I have not gone back onto it. The best side effect was I lost weight on it :D
Olgadapolga
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:24 am
Location: Bristol, uk

#888

Postby Frances Wilkins » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:10 am

What's the point in having a prescription in my hand for something that is going to make me feel even worse? You have all terrified me, having just seen the psychiatrist. He didn't believe anything I told him and just gave me yet another anti-depressant (Cipralex) to add to the long list of ones that haven't worked. I thought this would be the appointment with the answers, not to take me to a worse place - if one exists
Frances Wilkins
Junior Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:45 am

#889

Postby Olgadapolga » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:54 pm

Frances Wilkins wrote:What's the point in having a prescription in my hand for something that is going to make me feel even worse? You have all terrified me, having just seen the psychiatrist. He didn't believe anything I told him and just gave me yet another anti-depressant (Cipralex) to add to the long list of ones that haven't worked. I thought this would be the appointment with the answers, not to take me to a worse place - if one exists


Not everyone gets side effects, most of them are transient and will pass, but I don't believe anti depressants are the whole answer, you need to take a total look at your life from diet and exercise to the way you think and deal with stress. All medication will do is give you enough stability to deal with anything else.
Olgadapolga
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:24 am
Location: Bristol, uk

#890

Postby Frances Wilkins » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:35 pm

How long have I been telling doctors that medicines don't work? And all they do is keep giving me more. And then tell me that they can't help me because I am not doing what they say.
My diet used to be good. I used to have masses of exercise - now it's just taking the dog for long daily walks - so that advice is as crap as the rest.If they were the main factors then I wouldn't be in this position.
Anyway, since this thread is about Ciprolex, I should mention that I have decided not to take it
Interruption as my GP called - thank christ for someone who believes me when I say I hear voices. And he agrees with me about the ciprolex, so you probably won't hear from me on this subject again.
Does my name come up as user name - someone tell me, please - that wasn't meant to happen
Frances Wilkins
Junior Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:45 am

#891

Postby tm3912 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 8:34 pm

Spykke wrote:I wanted to add my experiences with Cipralex.

I was prescribed 5mg a day to deal with my depression and anxiety attacks. The first week I felt that I was on another planet with sudden bouts of anxiety which came and went rather as if a tap was being turned on and off. After a week I felt great - I liken it to having looked through a dirty window for years only to have it washed clean. My wife claims her old husband has been abducted and replaced with a new one. Interesting the comments about the placebo effect. I'm not sure how much this is a factor in my case but the tablets certainly had an effect beyond just making me feel better.

Side effects? Oh yes, there are several - Hot flushes (my wife thinks this is hilarious), weariness with aching limbs and falling asleep early afternoon (sudden without warning). All of these are tolerable given the lift my mind has received.

In my opinion Cipralex is a godsend for me.



Been on Lexipro for one week now and must say that I think it is working. First couple of days I had some mild nausea and slight headache. I also had two panic attacks that came out of nowhere but lasted on a few seconds each and none since.

I've look at the literature but have not found hot flashes weariness and aching limbs as a side effects but after reading your post I feel better as I thought I must have caught a case of the flu but now know it to be a side effect. I just felt achy all over especially in the back, which is how I feel when I have the flu.

On the good side I am able to talk and deal with people again. Before I would avoid people at work if I could because I would get all tense and have chest pains, etc. Heck the other day I sat and talked to some blow hard for 20 minutes and smiled the whole time without one sign of anxiety.

I take the medicine first thing in the morning and I do feel like I'm in a fog for the first couple of hours but then it wears off. Hopefully after I have been on longer this will go away. I'm excited to see how I feel after 4 weeks after this has had time to fully kick in.

Only other problems are I'm not sleeping as well as I use to (I sleep for 3-4 hours then awake. I usually read for an hour and am able to get back to sleep) Also I have lost almost all interest in sex for the time being (use to think of little else :oops: ) I willing to see if this go away though as the benefits, as of know, are definatley out weighing the problems.

One last thing for those of you that have been fighting taking the medicine for whatever reason. I was in your boat for a full year, I tried everything else but nothing worked. finally I said something has to change. I was terrified of the side effects but, as you can see, have been very mild to date. So please give this stuff a try, don't feel like your giving in you're not just like a diabetic that needs insulin you need this medication, it is not a reflection on you anymore than insulin is for a diabetic.
tm3912
Junior Member
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: USA

#892

Postby Frances Wilkins » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:26 pm

It seems to be a common misconception that not wanting medication is because it is a bad reflection on oneself. The plain fact is, for me, I don't want to be taking something who's positives are outweighed by the negatives. If I know categorically that something will work, then I have no qualms about taking it. Hell, the symptoms speak for themselvs, so knowing you are on meds is of little consequence, although even 3 years on, I have difficulty accepting this as an illness.
Also, I would like to know where it is possible to get independent information on the meds - not the 'facts' churned out by studies funded by pharmaceutical companies. I guess that is why I am relieved to have found this site - I guess there must be others like it. After 3 years of listening to what people say should happen, I can see what the actuality is for people who have been there. And I don't like it. Right now I know I am going to be in this hell forever. I am desperate for a way out.
Frances Wilkins
Junior Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:45 am

#893

Postby tm3912 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:43 pm

Frances if you are truely living in hell now what do you have to lose by trying the meds. You say you are desperate but won't try because of some possible side effects. Yet could those side effect be worse than the hell you say you are living in now? I wish you the best of luck, I truely hope you try the meds and give them a chance, I hate to see anyone in as much pain as you.
tm3912
Junior Member
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:17 pm
Location: USA

#894

Postby Olgadapolga » Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:46 pm

Quite frankly you are plain rude so I don't know why I am responding so please dont snap at me for making sugestions.

Frances Wilkins wrote:It seems to be a common misconception that not wanting medication is because it is a bad reflection on oneself. The plain fact is, for me, I don't want to be taking something who's positives are outweighed by the negatives. If I know categorically that something will work, then I have no qualms about taking it. Hell, the symptoms speak for themselvs, so knowing you are on meds is of little consequence, although even 3 years on, I have difficulty accepting this as an illness.
Also, I would like to know where it is possible to get independent information on the meds - not the 'facts' churned out by studies funded by pharmaceutical companies. I guess that is why I am relieved to have found this site - I guess there must be others like it. After 3 years of listening to what people say should happen, I can see what the actuality is for people who have been there. And I don't like it. Right now I know I am going to be in this hell forever. I am desperate for a way out.


The problem is there is nothing that will tell you this drug or that drug will or won't work for you. Until you actually start taking them not even your doctor will know hwether it will work or if you will suffer from side effects. If you don't want to take them fine then don't unless you are sectioned no one can make you comply.

Perhapsts for you look into some of the alternative treatments like hypnosis, CBT (2 free online course to look at and get an idea if it would suit you Living Life to The Full and Mood gym), hypoglycemia (look up posts by Juniperman), Homeopathy, Acupuncture, Reflexology, yoga, Bach flower remedies, taking a suppliment containing vitamin B complex, magnesium and folic acid, These are unlikely to make you feel worse, they may not make you feel better either but they can be worth trying, The other thing is herbal medicine you could see a practitioner but you can also buy St John's wort over the counter it's as effective as most prescribed andt d's but like prescribed meds they have side effects.
Olgadapolga
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:24 am
Location: Bristol, uk

#895

Postby Frances Wilkins » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:29 am

I am not sure where you get the idea that I am rude, just becauseI don't buy into the idea of excercise and diet being the answer. As I said - I have always had lots of exercise and a good diet and maintained it throughout a good deal of this illness, hence the sceptism. It is not rude to have a different opinion., but your response is.
I am grateful for any advice and have found it very useful to read through other people's experiences of this particular medication. It is a fact that most studies on the effectiveness of medications have been funded by pharmaceutical companies, so it is so good to read genuine stuff from genuine people.
Thanks for the other suggestions.
That's all from me - I can't take that sort of response from a person who obviously believes they are the only person who can be right. I thought this would be a useful place to find out about other people's experiences and for other people to understand mine.[/quote]
Frances Wilkins
Junior Member
 
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:45 am

#896

Postby Olgadapolga » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:19 pm

Frances Wilkins wrote:I am not sure where you get the idea that I am rude, just becauseI don't buy into the idea of excercise and diet being the answer. As I said - I have always had lots of exercise and a good diet and maintained it throughout a good deal of this illness, hence the sceptism. It is not rude to have a different opinion., but your response is.
I am grateful for any advice and have found it very useful to read through other people's experiences of this particular medication. It is a fact that most studies on the effectiveness of medications have been funded by pharmaceutical companies, so it is so good to read genuine stuff from genuine people.
Thanks for the other suggestions.
That's all from me - I can't take that sort of response from a person who obviously believes they are the only person who can be right. I thought this would be a useful place to find out about other people's experiences and for other people to understand mine.
[/quote]

I did not say I was always int he right and what I object to is being told my advice is CRAP it's unnecessery all you need to day is I have tried that did not work for me. Maybe I over reacted I can do my depression added with the medication makes me extreemly irritable and rather intolerent, but hay ho thats life without the meds I could not even get out of bed
Olgadapolga
Senior Member
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:24 am
Location: Bristol, uk

#897

Postby scampo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:55 pm

Frances Wilkins wrote:It seems to be a common misconception that not wanting medication is because it is a bad reflection on oneself. The plain fact is, for me, I don't want to be taking something who's positives are outweighed by the negatives. If I know categorically that something will work, then I have no qualms about taking it. Hell, the symptoms speak for themselvs, so knowing you are on meds is of little consequence, although even 3 years on, I have difficulty accepting this as an illness.
Also, I would like to know where it is possible to get independent information on the meds - not the 'facts' churned out by studies funded by pharmaceutical companies. I guess that is why I am relieved to have found this site - I guess there must be others like it. After 3 years of listening to what people say should happen, I can see what the actuality is for people who have been there. And I don't like it. Right now I know I am going to be in this hell forever. I am desperate for a way out.


Francis, you really mustn't leave because of a small spat - this is a good place and a helpful place. Email is so very well known for its tendency to give out the wrong vibes at times - it's a form of communication that mimics chat but has no body language or ability to correct misunderstandings instantly that real chat allows for. That's all that's happened here, I'm sure.

I do know how you feel about these meds. I stuck it out with 20mg citalopram for twelve weeks being told by my GP and a psych to hang on in there. Well - I eventually gave up having been rendered a shell of my former self owing to sleeplessness and switched to mirtazapine, a completely different type of drug, and, what do you know - all of the side effects fell away with a week or so.
scampo
Senior Member
 
Posts: 2095
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:15 am
Location: UK - East Midlands

#898

Postby Dee17 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:24 am

After three months on Cipralex, I am feeling much better.
I went from 10mg to 20mg last week and am feeling the benefits even more. I no longer have those awful butterflies in my stomache that have followed me around most of my life.

I am more focused, more positive and in general my mood is much better.

I am still experiencing awful night sweats, and the increase in dosage has suppressed my appetite again, but other than that I feel good. I still have some sleep disruptions. Sometimes I sleep like a baby and some days I can't sleep at all.

It has been worth it for me. It's just getting past those first two weeks when if you're going to experience side effects- this is the time it happens at it's worst. After a month I was better, after two I started feeling pretty good~ and now I am thankful I gave the meds a good go.

Hope this helps those who are contemplating, or just starting out.
Dee
Dee17
Junior Member
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:14 pm

#899

Postby keychange » Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:18 am

Hi everyone,
I was subscribed Cipralex to help me sleep and have been taking it for around 10 days now. I went through the weird anxiety bouts and have been feeling pretty happy and content at work the last few days where I would normally be hating my job. My problem is that one of my favourite hobbies is to play guitar in a band and I am finding my playing much more difficult. My hands and arms feel crampy and I am having difficulty coordinating my hand movements. I am currently only taking a 5mg dose and my sleeping has really not improved much at this point. Can anyone tell me if the cramps will stop eventually? I really want to give this stuff a chance to work since mood wise I am feeling good. But I don't want to give up something I really enjoy so I am torn. I feel much less spaced out this week than last so I guess I am hoping it will pass but my muscles seem to feel tighter each day??
keychange
New Member
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Nov 24, 2006 1:06 am


PreviousNext

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to Anxiety and Panic Attacks