Psychiatrist tries to coerce me into doing drugs. Help!

Postby Twenties » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:58 am

You really have to give health professionals a lot more credit. Medical doctors are there to make their patients healthy. They are not the police.

But - if you want to go down the alternative route, don't let me stop you. You are not alone. However, the fact that just about everyone in this thread told you to trust your psychologist and psychiatrist should at least make you consider that you can indeed place some more trust in the advice you received.
Twenties
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 0

Postby effie » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:58 am

wycomb wrote:Maybe my problem is not depression; maybe I'm just more intelligent than most people give me credit for.

Are you? If depression is not your problem, then why bother going? That doesn't sound too intelligent.

If the psychiatrist is trying to force you into something you don't want to do, then go find another one. Though finding a psychiatrist that won't prescribe drugs is... naive at best.

If that's the attitude you maintain in your life, then you're a troll out where the results are far more serious than a slap on the wrist in a forum.

Effie - :D
effie

Postby wycomb » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:28 am

Adora wrote:A pseudo scientist is forcing, coercing and brainwashing you into taking medicines that won't work for you, where he knows they won't work. While doing that, he works for the society and against you, even though he is aware that you aren't a threat to the society. Yeah, suure.

1. A psychiatrist is not a "scientist", pseudo or otherwise!
2. Maybe she thinks antidepressants will work for me
3. I did not say she worked for society; she might simply be acting on what she perceives to be the best interests for society.
4. Maybe she truly thinks depressed people are a threat to society. If that's the case, she's not the only person who thinks that way.

Adora, why do you care about my level of intelligence? You know, just because I claimed to be intelligent, it doesn't mean I am saying you are dumb or less intelligent than I. There is no need to be defensive. And even if I were saying I am more intelligent than you, who cares? There will always be people less and more intelligent than us, so it's stupid to go through life comparing ourselves to others.

I see what you are saying. It's no wonder the psychiatrist treated me like an idiot. After all, I went to see her. I learned my lesson. I won't talk to a psychiatrist ever again. I reckon my decision will bring me problems with my psychologist, since she told me she would not help me until I got on psychiatric medications, but I'll just have to do what I have to do and see what happens.

Time to forget about psychiatry and time to find another psychologist. Maybe it's time to stop worrying about mental health professionals altogether and try to get better using natural methods.

effie wrote:Are you? If depression is not your problem, then why bother going? That doesn't sound too intelligent.

Antidepressants are my problem, not depression.
Last edited by wycomb on Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:35 am, edited 3 times in total.
wycomb

Postby Adora » Fri Oct 05, 2007 10:58 am

Adora, why do you care about my level of intelligence?

I really don't. That was only maybe the third idea in your posts that contradicts itself. While you ignore a fair number of points raised by other posters.

What I care about are arguments/statements against common sense and/or logic. It's difficult to explain why, but they bother me immensely. Probably an obsessive-compulsive symptom. Or to paraphrase somebody else on this forum, they give me an extremely irritating brain itch.

I see what you are saying. It's no wonder the psychiatrist treated me like an idiot

The problem is really that you treated him like an idiot. Well, almost.

On top of which there is the small issue that you went to a psychiatrist and somehow expected not to be prescribed medication, but something else that works for you. What else? Most puzzling ...
Adora
Preferred Member

Postby heatherbell » Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:25 pm

Hi Wycomb

I have gone through a similar debate with someone else on this forum quite recently and as I said to them-get back to basics and forget intellectualising the whole issue.

If you don't think your psychiatrist's methods are going to be helpful then don't go, it's as simple as that.

If that means your psychologist won't treat you then that's the outcome of your decision, it's the result of your choice.

If you believe there are other methods out there then go and find them and stop complaining about what you've got.

If you know so much better than everyone else then why did you bother posting in the first place?

Control is in your hands. Make your decision and stop transferring the responsibility for your own inaction onto others. If you can't take that decison and exercise that control then possibly they're right about the medication.

It's entirely up to you.

HB
heatherbell
Preferred Member

Postby wycomb » Sat Oct 06, 2007 12:51 am

Adora wrote:What I care about are arguments/statements against common sense and/or logic. It's difficult to explain why, but they bother me immensely. Probably an obsessive-compulsive symptom. Or to paraphrase somebody else on this forum, they give me an extremely irritating brain itch.

Getting heated over arguments/statements that you believe go against common sense and/or logic, is not a very logical or commonsensical thing to do. I'd imagine your reaction is probably due to an OCD quirk that transcends your better judgement.

The problem is really that you treated him like an idiot. Well, almost.

On top of which there is the small issue that you went to a psychiatrist and somehow expected not to be prescribed medication, but something else that works for you. What else? Most puzzling ...

To be fair, I expected the psychiatrist to prescribe medications. Prescribing medications is part of what they do. But I did not expect the psychiatrist to bully me into doing something that I clearly indicated I did not want doing. I felt like I was arguing with an aggressive salesman, not chatting with a good soul trying to help me.
wycomb

Postby jurplesman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:54 am

wycomb wrote:My psychologist sent me to see a psychiatrist. She literally told me she could not help me until I got on medications.

Well you have been caught between the devil and the deep blue sea. Your therapist cannot help you because 1) she believes you have a biochemical imbalance and 2) the psychiatrist cannot help you and 3) you don't want to take drugs (they are only palliative and don't "cure" the underlying biological disorder AND 4) the psychiatrist does not know how to treat a biochemical imbalance without drugs.

Both these professions are unable to help you! How could they they are not trained to do so.

My advice is to avoid the two and get yourself referred to a Nutritional Doctor or a Clinical Nutritionists.

Depression is a Nutritional Disorder here

Cheers Jur
jurplesman

Previous