Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Depression -> Cipralex and Alcohol? This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Cipralex and Alcohol?

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Depression Resources

Free Depression Learning Path

How Depression Works

Post-natal Depression (article)

Depression and Anxiety, the link (article)

Depression Recovery Program

Treating Depression with Hypnosis (ebook)

Storytelling CD

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
kelts21

Post Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:47 pm

Re: Try shifting to taking med at night    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by narkissose
I have noticed that many people are countering the sleepiness side-effect of the medicine
by taking it in the night time. Has anyone of you tried that with success?

I am also having sleepiness, yawning and been unmotivated in the day and I have been on the med more than a month now (5mg), but surely my mood is a lot better now.

And the increased heart palpitations could be due to missed dose of Trika on the days I drink.
I am also on 0.125 mg Trika daily only temporarily as it helps ease down the initial days of anxiety with Cipralex.

I take Cipralex is the evenings because I found that it was making me very sleepy. So yes, it does work because if I take it around supper, then by the time I am sleepy I am usually going to bed anyways...

hope that helps.

Depresso29

Post Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:53 pm

I found that Cipralex was very hard to adjust to. It does its job by keeping me stable but it is very hard on the system. I have to take my dosage at night so as not to throw up at my desk during the day.
Tony S

Post Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:50 pm

Alcohol and Citalopram    Reply with quote  

Hi,

I'm due to go away on a friend's stag weekend this weekend and in all likelihood the trip will involve some pretty heavy drinking. I've been taking 20mg of Citalopram each day for the past two weeks and from the comments above I can't decide what will be worse - (a) stop taking the medication for two days (is there any chance of "cold turkey" side effects?) or (b) continue to take it while I am away and drink regardless. With the best will in the world, I don't think I'll be able to limit myself to just a few drinks while I'm away.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
revolucionario26

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:48 pm

Heavy drinking is not recommended when you are taking antidepressant.
So donīt drink alcohol . Wink
Optimax
Preferred Member

Post Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:12 am

quote:

(a) stop taking the medication for two days (is there any chance of "cold turkey" side effects?) or (b) continue to take it while I am away and drink regardless. With the best will in the world, I don't think I'll be able to limit myself to just a few drinks while I'm away.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hiya, my advice , although maybe wrong would be not to take the medication for two days. It's a vicious circle I kinow and you will propbably suffer after the two days but hey go enjoy yourself and try not to think about the problem. I obviously do not know for what reason you have been put on this medication but I can only talk for myself in that I would be even more depressed and down if I had to miss the stag do. I couldnt go on a stag do and drink water or soft drinks. I know some posters will definetly disagree with that statement but personally I couldn't.
I drank whilst on tablets but if I knew I was going on a session I would stop for that time and actually enjoy myself.
As I said maybe wrong but it worked for me , go enjoy yourself whatever. Very Happy
narkissose

Post Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:51 am

Alcohol triggers smoking urge and anxiety    Reply with quote  

I have been on Cipralex for the last almost one year and it has worked well for me.
I was a smoker who has been quit for 10 months now, but everytime I drink a bit heavily i.e. around 200 ml of whiskey, the next day I feel anxious and also I feel light headed and get the urge to smoke. I get the same kind of urge to smoke that I used to get when I was quit only for a day or two. Te urge is not smoking alone, it is actually the mind thinking that smoking is the solution to a feeling of lightness in the head and an urge to stimulate myself orally.
Is this a side effect of Cipralex? Has anyone experienced it earlier?
I have not noticed this when I dont drink, and mind you I am talking about the NEXT day after drinking and not at the time I am drinking.

thanks,
Narki
narkissose

Post Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:52 am

Get in touch    Reply with quote  

Anyone having same affects get in touch with me at my email ID.
wibble

Post Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:25 am

I generally had no ill-effects from drinking alcohol while on Cipralex. However, soon after going on the medication for the 2nd time I had what can best be described as a 'psychotic episode' whilst drinking. I don't know whether this was caused by the depression still affecting my thought processes or some weird interaction between the Cipralex and the booze.
wibble

Post Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:41 am

Re: Alcohol triggers smoking urge and anxiety    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by narkissose
I have been on Cipralex for the last almost one year and it has worked well for me.
I was a smoker who has been quit for 10 months now, but everytime I drink a bit heavily i.e. around 200 ml of whiskey, the next day I feel anxious and also I feel light headed and get the urge to smoke. I get the same kind of urge to smoke that I used to get when I was quit only for a day or two. Te urge is not smoking alone, it is actually the mind thinking that smoking is the solution to a feeling of lightness in the head and an urge to stimulate myself orally.
Is this a side effect of Cipralex? Has anyone experienced it earlier?
I have not noticed this when I dont drink, and mind you I am talking about the NEXT day after drinking and not at the time I am drinking.

thanks,
Narki

My partner used to get the same urge to smoke whilst drunk or stressed for at least a year after quitting (she was not taking any medication). I think the urge to re-start smoking when drunk is a natural part of the quitting process and (probably) nothing to do with with Cipralex.
arcade

Post Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:01 pm

If you want the medication to work properly, you can just have a period off alcohol. I managed to do it in moderation, in other words take it easy, know what my limits were. I used to have a lot of panic attacks and most of them happened when I had been drinking.

I used to take them at weird times of the day, started off in the morning but ended up doing them at night. They didn't agree with food a lot. I don't really recommend ever missing a dosage, even if it's just two days. You can get out of the habit of taking them pretty quick!
Hoping4joy

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:36 pm

Hi nice to meet you. I am new today.

I am so tired all the time too. It is a symptom of my depression I believe and it was getting better for a few days, then I seem to have slumped again. I take my AD's in the morning too. That what I was told to do by the doc. I think my tiredness is still due to my depression as the doc said that one I am on is not sedative. It is really annoying though. I mean sometimes I have to force myself to get up as I just want to sleep, sleep, sleep and sleep some more really.
wibble

Post Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:28 pm

quote:
Originally posted by Hoping4joy
Hi nice to meet you. I am new today.

I am so tired all the time too. It is a symptom of my depression I believe and it was getting better for a few days, then I seem to have slumped again. I take my AD's in the morning too. That what I was told to do by the doc. I think my tiredness is still due to my depression as the doc said that one I am on is not sedative. It is really annoying though. I mean sometimes I have to force myself to get up as I just want to sleep, sleep, sleep and sleep some more really.

Which ads are you taking? I was on Cipralex on and off for 3 years and it made me really sleepy. It got so bad that i would sneak off to the toilets in work to sleep!
tbone26

Post Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:51 pm

cipralex and alcohol    Reply with quote  

So ive been on cipralex for 3 weeks now been on 5mg a day so far the first week was horrible my head felt all messed up felt dizzy.. Felt grumy sometimes for no reason then the next minute i couldn't stop laughing if something funny happened..
Then after two weeks m friends wanted to have a guys night and my side effects were mostly gone and i was starting to actualy feel better... So i went out decided to drink that night cause i had asked my doctor if it was ok and he said even though they recomend you not to drink thats its ok and just to monitor your drinking if you start to feel sick then stop drinking.. anyways as the night went on i drank like probably 8 or 9 beer over a 5hour period got pretty drunk nothing bad happend to me only thing i noticed was i got alittle drunk faster. But they next day my hang over sucked i was grumpy felt like i have no emotion at all.... But the next day i was mostly fine just had a head ache still.. in the front of my head.

2 nights ago i decided to drink again since it was halloween and my friends were having a huge party, and since the other time i drank didn't go so bad i figured its fine which it was again had a great time with my friends drank alot my hang over was not nearly as bad the second time and i drank more this time too.. Not sure if its cause im still only on 5mgs of cipralex not sure my doctor has told me to go up to the full pill of 10mg but i don't like they side effects sexually I can easly have sex still and still in the mood all the time just it takes alot for me to orgasm.
so not sure i want to take 10mg and make it worse so haven't gone up dosage yet.

Does anyone notice gainning weight on it??? i work out alot and have been 198 for last 2years and all of a sudden im up to 208. I do not want to gain a sh** load of weight while im on this..

Anyways drinking and taking the med has little or no effect on me... and is pretty safe my doctor said and has proven to not impair you anymore and in some studies has proven to work better in a placebo test study but thats what the internet said so don't take my word on it
tbone26

Post Thu Nov 06, 2008 12:46 am

cipralex and alcohol    Reply with quote  

Hello I have now switched to 10mgs Yesterday was my first day at 10mg, all was fine not really any worse.. only thing i noticed is when i went to go to sleep, I felt like i had restless legs... But after 15mins I feel alseep and never woke up till morning.
I take my pill first thing in the morning and i notice i have tons of energy during the day now more so on the 10mgs on 5mg i still felt kinda sick and sleepy but on 10 im like WOW lets do something... So i think its helping me stay more motivated.. So far i think the plus's of this medicine out weigh the negs i also find if i read alot of what other people write bad about the medicine doesn;t help anybody cause then everyone is thinking oh no this is bad instead of letting the meds do its thing...

anyways thats all i got to report as of now
cmd

Post Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:43 pm

I can tell you that I use to drink quite heavily, everyone assumed it was alcoholism, as it has since turned out, I have a Schizoaffective Disorder, and I would go through phases of drinking, getting tattoo's, changing my hair colour, changing jobs, and it wasnt until recently they finally clued in.

I am taking an antipsycotic (sorry about the spelling) drug, and was just given Cipralex, but I found that when I drink too fast, then I feel really sick and dizzy quickly. If I have a few beers in moderation, and now I find I can only handle a max of 5 - not being on Cipralex, then I am okay, as opposed to the 40 ouncers of Vodka I use to down daily.

So I agree with the other writer, have one beer see how it goes, then another, your stomach will start telling you when you have had enough and remember to eat something beforehand.

Cheers (no pun intended)

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: