I found something that helps

Tips and help for the world's "number 1 fear".

Postby Dave Reed » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:02 pm

I have been surfing this forum for a while and finally decided to join and post. I am currently working on my MBA and sadly dicovered that I have a bigger fear of public speaking than I thought. I attend a University near my work and each week we are asked to present projects to a group of about thirty five. I assumed that as usual I could do all of the work and have someone else actually stand up and present. They caught on to this quickly and I actually ended up looking into different programs but unfortunately for me this is the one the company pays for and the schedule is right, not to mention they are within two miles from work.

One of the people in my group is an airline pilot and she gave me something that works great. I thought she was kidding about it until she brought the bottle in. Apparently pilots undergo their own private hell every six months in the form of a "sim check." She said that even though she has flown for over twenty years she has experienced sweating, pounding of the heart and what she said is an amplified feeling of fight or flight. She takes the stuff daily but suggested I try it just to get ovet the hump. I started taking this about six weeks ago and am doing really good. It got me up there the first time and now I am doing a whole lot better and even lead one presentation. I don't think I am ready to get up in fron t of a crowd of thousands but I have made great strides and will probably stop taking the it once this bottle runs out. The product is called Captain Murdock's Test Anxiety Formula and she said it is pretty well known in the airline industry espesially since it is herbal and pilots have to be careful about what they have in their system. I don't think I can post their URL but they have a website if you search Captain Murdocks dot com. I'll come back on after seven days if anyone wants the URL since I just registered. This board was probably the most helpful one out there for me and I was also going to say that I use a lot of the other pointers on here and plan on joining Toast Masters once life slows down a little. Good luck and although most people wouldn't believe it, this was one of the worst things I have had to face in a long time. In hinsight it made me realize life is pretty good.
Dave Reed

Postby simonr » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:25 pm

though that might just be me! If you can post the URL for us, that'd be great - if it works I'd love to blog about it, 'cos it'd be really handy for my readers/clients.

Shooting from the hip, though this sounds a bit like one of the Back Flower Remerdies which are quite often used for test anxiety etc.

Shame they don't work! Or at least, they do, but no better than the placebo.

Still, if the placebo works, then it works, I guess! :)

S
simonr

Postby Dave Reed » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:41 pm

Simonr,
I agree with your comments to an extent. I do however know it wasn't a sugar pill. I am of average health and do not take supplements regularly but do run and work out. I also take energy drinks occasionally at work and have tried the vitamin B "shots". I definitely felt something when I took this stuff but it wasn't like energy drink. I also peed more yellow than ever which was probably the vitamins. Was the feeling I felt from the fact that I don't take supplements? Possibly, I felt clear headed and like I had energy, but not like I beer bonged a gallon of Red Bull. I also liked the fact that the person that turned me onto it has her stuff together and the fact that pilots take it told me it was probably safe since they are usually not druggies. I thought for me this was better than lithium and electro shock as I like to start small and work my way up. I have surfed this site for a while but just joined to post so I can't post the URL. When I bought it the person just sent me the link. I just checked and they have a newer site then when I bought it. I typed in W W W . Captainmurdocks . com but I didn't use google I just entered that at the top of my computer where you can put the URL. Thanks for the constructive response to my post as I was a bit nervous about jumping on here. If you can't get the site I'll post it in a couple of days.
Dave Reed

Postby simonr » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:07 am

I love the way the site says it's herbal/vitamin based but then goes on to say in big letters, don' take more than two a day 'cos it's dangerous! :)

More seriously, I wasn't just asserting that this kind of thing didn't work - the link was to an example of the scientific research which shows it doesn't..... or at least no better than a placebo. If this does work then it'll be not only the quickest way for the makers to get rich in recorded history, it'll also be the undoing of a great deal of the pharmacutical industry!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking it totally, 'cos like I say, "whatever works" (and as someone who uses accipuncture and homeophathy I'm not going to demand that I understand how something works before I accept that it's real!) - I'm just a tad sceptical that something which works as well as this hasn't been, errr... well... hasn't been a bit "bigger" if you see what I mean.

Could it be that, rather like Dumbo's magic feather, it works because we think it works?

S
Dr Simon Raybould

PS: Another reason I'm so sceptical is 'cos as part of my training as a trainer of presenters I spent some time understanding the bio-chem of stress responses and for the life of me, or the other doctors I've mentioned this to, I can't figure out how something like this could work! It would need to suppress certain stress-chem receptors but not others in a way I can't conceive of.... but it's not my area of speciality, so I could be waaay of base here!

PPS: looking more at the contents, it seems to me more and more like your "standard health/vitamin drink" with a special marketing angle. On that basis, it'll probalby do you good but no more so than healthy diet and exercise! :)
simonr

Postby HappyFeet » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:20 pm

Hey Dave, I'm also new here..What exactly do the pills do? they just relieve Anxiety? or they make you feel a little less pressured when talking?
HappyFeet

Postby speeddurango » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:57 am

I just registered here one day before ,so I'm even newer than you, but excuse me for being a little skeptical here. I know it's difficult to be in the business these days, but I've got to say your advertisement essay wasn't very convincible to say the least, and tell your boss his website isn't very well designed either. Oh and by the way, that trademark of Captain Murdock's is hiLOLrious.
speeddurango