Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Anxiety and Panic Attacks -> My head feels like a lead balloon! This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

My head feels like a lead balloon!

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Panic Attacks and Anxiety Resources

Free panic attacks course

What are panic attacks? (article)

Panic attacks and your basic needs (article)

Anxiety and depression (article)

Anxiety FAQ

Panic attacks CD

Panic attacks

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
papi

Post Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:31 pm

My head feels like a lead balloon!    Reply with quote  

Hi just wanted some advice if poss on how to get rid of my heavy head feeling!
My head feels like its got a vice on it and some ones slowly turning it.
My visions is very blurry close up and sharpe at distance.
Woke up at 2 am this morning with the worst head pains and neck pains only relief was to sit with my head looking up untill the pain killers started working.
I know its my anxiety was just wondering if anyone had anyways to help with this problem!i excercise that does help but not for long!!
thanks.

Triarius

Post Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:13 pm

sounds pretty bad, severe concussion or upper spinal injury

Go to the doctor. Now-ish.
needlifeback
Preferred Member

Post Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:33 pm

I get the same problems with my head and neck. It's the epicentre of my anxiety and it makes you feel like you have a tumor or something bad. First thing is to not think it's a tumor Very Happy

Have you eliminated sugar, caffiene, alcohol (I still have some Embarassed ), wheat from your diet? Eliminating these things will reduce the pain.

Also, check out this stretch. It's the best neck advice I have ever come accross and does wonders for reducing the pain. It gives a good explanation of the reason it hurts and hope that it can be fixed.

http://www.drbookspan.com/NeckPainArticle.html

Good luck! Wink
scampo

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:33 am

I know how you must feel and you have my sympathies. If your vision is as poor as you say, though, then you need to see an optician. But if you're just feeling that it seems that bad, then it's likely to be muscle tension in your neck and scalp. If, for whatever reason, your anxiety focuses on this area you might easily be squeezing one of the many cervical nerves in your neck. If you have disc problems in your neck or are at least middle aged then this is highly likely.

I have had this trouble on and off and it has even led to weird dizziness as well, which is pretty difficult to cope with both physically and mentally. Most mornings - as at this moment - my head feels like it's stuffed full of cotton wool - like a hangover almost. My eyes ache and my memory is poor but I just have to accept my doctor's diagnosis that it's down to my "GAD" and a disc problem in my neck. I don't know what I'm supposed to be anxious about, mind you, as I'm no longer working and life is not throwing any wobblies at present.

Taking a muscle relaxant such as Valium will certainly help if the cause is tension but these drugs need to be reserved for occasional "rescue" use as they can be habit forming and hell to get off.
papi

Post Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:46 pm

Thanks for the info.Will be try those stretches.
Thats how my head starts with a fuzzy feeling all foggy and because iam aware of it i make it worse by keep checking if its still there!dam anxiety!thats my problem checking for signs of anxiety drives me mad!
As far as iam aware the tight head is because of muscle tightness in my shoulders and neck due to being anxious which makes the muscles around the head tighten up!!as for the vison yet again its anxiety when in a anxious state you vison is trained to focus at a distance looking for danger(caveman fight and flight)how true idont no!but sounds plausible to me!!
needlifeback
Preferred Member

Post Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:02 pm

Did you have a look at the link I recommended?
papi

Post Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:22 pm

Yes i idid thank you very much needlifeback for that site i will be reading and putting those exercise into pratice.I hope it helps clear and relax my stiff and clouded head and shoulders.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: