Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Psychology -> Autism + Loud Noises This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Autism + Loud Noises

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Psychology Resources

Psychology articles

Free Self-Help articles

Uncommon Knowledge Psychology Newsletter

Popular Psychology Book Reviews

Psychology Training Courses

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
MadmanMurray

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:42 pm

Autism + Loud Noises    Reply with quote  

Anyone else here have high functioning autism/aspergers? If so how do you deal with loud noises when your trying to do something. They drive me into a near murderous rage sometimes. The noise of vacuum cleaners is especially aggitating. All sorts of things really piss me off like dogs barking, babies crying, floors creaking, and even people talking loudly. I remember I smashed a radio with a golf club when I was younger because it was on loud and it pissed me off so much I decided to smash the thing instead of turning it off. I thought I was just naturally irritable but now I know being extremely irratated by loud noises is one of the characteristics of people on the autism spectrum.

I might just starting wearing ear muffs of something when I'm doing things that require concentration. Loud noises don't bother me much at all if I'm not doing anything.

JanusWaze
Preferred Member

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:10 pm

I hate it when people smack their lips or crunch chips really loud - then again I don't know anyone who doesn't hate that.

Also, right outside my window is a maintenance building with a really loud h-vac system, drives me nuts - especially when I'm trying to sleep. That's why I usually find someone else's house to sleep in.

Also, I recently had a strange encounter with an autistic at the Mental Clinic, I do paint therapy and I was setting up, but I had to use the bathroom. When I came back the guy had sorted all my brushes according to size and all my paint according to color (from lightest to darkest) and started lecturing me about how, and I quote "You need to keep your sh*t together man, what are you retarded?". That really hurt my ego, I mean the guy is so autistic he had to be institutionalized and he called me retarded.

Do you do that too? Stack things according to their size or colour?
givingup

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:38 pm

My sisters 2 young boys eating . Its f..king revolting . Not only do i have to hear every chewing noise , they eat with their mouths open , so i have to see it too ! Sisters totally oblivious .. i start heating up .. Laughing
hyperion

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:48 am

Autism & Loud Noises    Reply with quote  

Always treat a behavior as normal and that there is an opposite situation that proves the rule. An example of this would be that if you were on the street and there were many sounds around you, you would differentiate a person calling your name. The solution is not that there are many sounds but, rather, to pick one sound and ignore the rest. It's like driving at night and the oncoming car has high beams on so you look to the right to find the white line and use that to reference your position in the lane. It's also like being in a room with a strobe like and wanting to cross the room. You focus on one visible fixture (a fixture doesn't move) and move each time the light is on. Repeated mental rehearsal works well. I hope this helps.
MadmanMurray

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:07 am

quote:
Originally posted by JanusWaze
I hate it when people smack their lips or crunch chips really loud - then again I don't know anyone who doesn't hate that.

Yea I hated the Joker in the new Batman because he kept making those sounds every time he opened his mouth.

quote:
Originally posted by JanusWaze
Also, I recently had a strange encounter with an autistic at the Mental Clinic, I do paint therapy and I was setting up, but I had to use the bathroom. When I came back the guy had sorted all my brushes according to size and all my paint according to color (from lightest to darkest) and started lecturing me about how, and I quote "You need to keep your sh*t together man, what are you retarded?". That really hurt my ego, I mean the guy is so autistic he had to be institutionalized and he called me retarded.

Do you do that too? Stack things according to their size or colour?

Hahaha thats real funny. Yea I like stacking things that are the same size but I wouldn't go stacking someone elses stuff and call them retarded for not doing it themselves. He musta been a fair bit down the autism spectrum because I only get a slight urge to organize objects in front of me. If I have a pile of change I'll get an urge to make stacks of the different coins or if theres cards on the table and nobodies playing with them I'll organize the different suits into piles. Comes in handy in poker because I always have neat stacks of chips.
MadmanMurray

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:27 am

Re: Autism & Loud Noises    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by hyperion
Always treat a behavior as normal and that there is an opposite situation that proves the rule. An example of this would be that if you were on the street and there were many sounds around you, you would differentiate a person calling your name. The solution is not that there are many sounds but, rather, to pick one sound and ignore the rest. It's like driving at night and the oncoming car has high beams on so you look to the right to find the white line and use that to reference your position in the lane. It's also like being in a room with a strobe like and wanting to cross the room. You focus on one visible fixture (a fixture doesn't move) and move each time the light is on. Repeated mental rehearsal works well. I hope this helps.

I'll give it a shot. I think its a subconscious thing though. Something about the pitch of the sound drives me mad. When I'm in nightclubs and the musics playing so loud your ears hurt I'm fine. Don't get angry at all. I think its just irregular loud noises that piss me off.
hyperion

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:58 am

Re: Autism & Loud Noises    Reply with quote  

quote:
Originally posted by MadmanMurray
quote:
Originally posted by hyperion

I'll give it a shot. I think its a subconscious thing though. Something about the pitch of the sound drives me mad. When I'm in nightclubs and the musics playing so loud your ears hurt I'm fine. Don't get angry at all. I think its just irregular loud noises that piss me off.

Good! Now, 2 points. First, since any 20 people will act differently to the same sound, it's not the sound. There is a stimulus and a response and between them is a filter, a belief of what is real and what it means. It's software. We make up the rules to survive. For us they're real but they're not true but when you feel pain or fear or anger it hard to remember that; at first. Second, if re-focusing (above) isn't silencing it, ask yourself "What is it I believe about this that makes me angry (etc.)? What is my evidence that this is even true?" This goes back to #1 and creating the software to protect you and, now, wanting to update that information. This is a real eye opener. Give it a try...

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: