Panicking, running out of breath when talking

Postby Karys » Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:52 pm

Hey,

I've just found this forum, and I really have to post this message to see if anyone else is suffering from the same things as me, because I feel like I'm going mad.

For the past 4 months I've been feeling like this, and it's getting worse. I can't really describe my symptoms to anyone because I feel really stupid.

Right, here goes...

I constantly feel like I'm short of breath. I'm not puffing and panting, but I just feel as though my lungs are never properly filled. Every 3 or 4 breaths I take a big deep breath, or yawn, to try and fill my lungs. On the other hand, when I walk a short distance, or up a flight of stairs, I AM puffing and panting and feel totally out of breath and my heart is beating like mad. Also, I find it hard to walk and talk, especially if it's up a hill, because I feel as though I'm breathing too hard and fast to actually talk. On the subject of talking, I find it hard to have conversations because I feel like I run out of breath when I'm talking, so I'll like say a sentence, then take a big deep breath, then say another sentence. It's like I'm talking all on one breath and have forgotten how to keep taking breaths while talking. I know, it sounds RIDICULOUS, but it's driving me crazy. Especially because before all this I was really really chatty, people use to say things like, "do you ever take a breath?" Now I hardly talk.

There's more, sorry. I feel like when I'm breathing through my nose, air isn't getting up my nose properly, and so I'm constantly clearing my nose, but there's nothing blocking it. And the air that I breathe in seems to be really hot.

I also always, or mostly always, feel as though my hearts beating really fast and really loud. I'm constantly checking my pulse, and my heart seems to race a lot.

I'm sure there's things that I've forgot, but that's roughly it.

I'm a 21 year old girl, so I shouldn't be like this! I smoke, do you think it could be that? I had depression 2 years ago, but I don't anymore.

I was at my doctor 4 weeks ago and he said he thought it might be anxiety, but I didn't think so, becuse I don't think I've ever had a panic attack. I read that they only last a few minutes, whereas I feel like this all the time. Anyway he wanted me to do this peak flow meter thing, just to satisfy my own needs, because I thought I might have asthma (I am a worrier) but I've to go back and see him on Friday, and judging by my peak flow results, I don't think I do have asthma, but I'm worried about going back to him incase he thinks I'm weird. I haven't told him all this stuff, only the feeling short of breath, because I was worried he would think I was an idiot. What do you think could be wrong with me? Does it sound anything like anxiesty? Do any of you have any of these symptoms?

Sorry for going on and on, I just feel like I'm going CRAZY!!!

Please help me. Thank you.

Karys.
Karys

Postby solardog » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:20 pm

Sounds like you could be suffering from Hyperventilation Syndrome (HVS). I have a tendancy to always feel like I am not getting enough air and it causes some very weird side effects like rapid heart beat, chest "discomfort" etc. It is thought to be manifested by Anxiety directly but no one knows if Anxiety causes HVS or HVS cause Anxiety. Google HVS there are lots of good articles explaning this disorder.
solardog

Postby satanstoystore » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:27 am

are you anemic? Iron is essential for exchange of gases.

are you pregnant? hormonal change may shift how you manage your exchange of gases.
satanstoystore
MVP
MVP

Postby jurplesman » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:58 am

HI Karys,

There may be a simple solution.

Please test yourself with the

Nutrition Behavior Inventory Test (NBI)

or the

The Hypo Quiz

If you scores are high it could be due to hypoglycemia, which can be treated by going on a hypoglycemic diet.

Please also read:

Anxiety and the Sympathetic Nervous System

It's not in the mind but in the body!
jurplesman