is depression permanent?

Postby cdstack » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:19 pm

is depression permanent? from my early years as a teenager I have always been depressed am now 43 and feel life is not worth living as the pain does not ease. I have lost so much to this illness. I can understand why people take there own lives if they dont get better. I just feel some people will have depression no matter what they do. I dont respond to medication. I just want to hide away from the world and die. I am a pathetic human being who should be put down.
cdstack

Likes Received: 0

Postby Triarius » Sat Dec 27, 2008 11:20 pm

it depends.

if you have an actual disease, then it should be treatable (like hypothyroidism) ... however if your depression is strictly cognitive, then no, it is not permanent.
Triarius

Postby satanstoystore » Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:57 am

cdstack wrote:...I am a pathetic human being...

Does that come from a feeling of Helplessness, Hopelessness, or Unworthiness? You can change these feelings even if it seems impossible. You just need help.
satanstoystore
MVP
MVP

Postby *Nihilistic One* » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:20 am

cdstack wrote:is depression permanent? from my early years as a teenager I have always been depressed am now 43 and feel life is not worth living as the pain does not ease. I have lost so much to this illness. I can understand why people take there own lives if they dont get better. I just feel some people will have depression no matter what they do. I dont respond to medication. I just want to hide away from the world and die. I am a pathetic human being who should be put down.

What meds have you actually tried?
*Nihilistic One*

Postby jurplesman » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:22 am

Hi cdstack,

The real question is: Is depression treatable? This depends what causes you to be depressed. There is environmental depression, triggered by some environmental event like the death in the family, rejection in love, or following any stressful situation. In this kind of depression the person usually knows the reason for depression and often after effluxion of time, the person recovers and starts to feel happy again. (Starts to produce serotonin again).

In endogenous depression, the person is usually at a loss to understand why she/he is depressed and may seek the help of a professional. It is unfortunate that, in my opinion, most professionals are at a loss to understand the true reasons for depression and resort to either drugs and/or "talk therapy" as the standard treatment for depression or mood disorders in general. Only a minority seems to get some benefit from conventional treatment, and only if the mood disorder is of the simple kind and not the complex kind.

Most people finish up having to take drugs for the rest of their life under conventional treatments. Drugs appear to treat symptoms only, but not the underlying biochemical imbalance responsible for depression.

There are many alternative approaches to the treatment of depression examples of which are given at this discussion board. This board is a multi-disciplinary board.

Being a nutritional psychologist mine represents the psychonutritional approach to mood disorders primarily of the biological type on the ground that most of our happy hormones and neurotransmitters - enabling us to experience contentment and happiness - are derived from natural food sources. This is an evidence-based scientific approach. Furthermore I believe that by educating clients about the science of nutritional biochemistry - that is less complicated than appears at first sight - most clients are able to overcome their depression or other mood disorder by the tools of psychotherapy - including the biological as well, as the "psychological". This is achieved by reference to educational material in the form of articles available on the internet.

Thus yes, my opinion is that depression - either environmental or biological - is treatable without recourse to drugs and often without recourse to any talk therapy, provided the client is willing to take the time to study. As an alternative the client has a choice to consult a Nutritional Doctor, Clinical Nutritionist or a Nutritional Psychologist. See for an overall view:

Self Help Personal Growth Program
Last edited by jurplesman on Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
jurplesman

Postby johnjoe » Sun Dec 28, 2008 5:29 am

I agree 100% with jurpleman.

All depressions are treatable, and even some severe psychiartic conditions respond to a mixture of approaches.

Johnjoe
johnjoe

Postby *Nihilistic One* » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:48 pm

Drugs, nutrition, ECT, neurosurgery, exercise, psychological therapies etc.

Lots of options.

And no, I am not advocating ECT, just using the example for emphasis.
*Nihilistic One*

Postby Triarius » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:53 pm

*Nihilistic One* wrote:Drugs, nutrition, ECT, neurosurgery, exercise, psychological therapies etc.

Lots of options.

And no, I am not advocating ECT, just using the example for emphasis.

I was gonna say, ECT should be a death bed option, lol
Triarius

Postby cdstack » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:23 pm

Thanks for all the replies am starting to think my depression might be to bad diet. I swing from good eating to bad. I am not always aware whats healthy and what is not. I recently had a food intolrence test which came saying I had a reaction to cows milk and patotoes. When i told my doctor she said those test proves nothing and not to waste my money on them.
I ask her would my diet cause depression she said no.

I also suffer from chronic headaches which I take amitriptyline 75mg daily
cdstack

Postby *Nihilistic One* » Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:48 pm

cdstack wrote:I also suffer from chronic headaches which I take amitriptyline 75mg daily

Snap, though I don't take Ami anymore.

Do you find that you can control your weight through diet and exercise? Ami was murder on my metabolism.
*Nihilistic One*

Postby cdstack » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:28 pm

amitriptyline does make me hungry but without it the headaches are worse.
ssri meds make the headaches worse. I gained alittle weight from them.
They dont seem to help my depression.
cdstack

Postby *Nihilistic One* » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:32 pm

cdstack wrote:amitriptyline does make me hungry but without it the headaches are worse.
ssri meds make the headaches worse. I gained alittle weight from them.
They dont seem to help my depression.

I see. I am more in favor of a bail out med because my weight can balloon, but my experience with Ami is similar.

It helped the headaches, but did nothing for mood problems (and I went up to 200mg)
*Nihilistic One*

Postby cdstack » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:44 pm

what do you take now for depression?
cdstack

Postby *Nihilistic One* » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:27 pm

cdstack wrote:what do you take now for depression?

Not a thing. I am taking a med holiday but because I fall into the "atypical" bracket I am considering a non-selective irreversible MAOI.

I have been on everything under the sun in the past.

I have had partial success with a lot of unwanted effects (as is to be expected, to be honest).

I feel OK just now but my mood cycles, and if I get to the point where I have to face hospital again, I will try the med lottery again.
*Nihilistic One*

Postby jurplesman » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:03 am

cdstack wrote:Thanks for all the replies am starting to think my depression might be to bad diet. I swing from good eating to bad. I am not always aware whats healthy and what is not. I recently had a food intolrence test which came saying I had a reaction to cows milk and patotoes. When i told my doctor she said those test proves nothing and not to waste my money on them.
I ask her would my diet cause depression she said no.

I also suffer from chronic headaches which I take amitriptyline 75mg daily

Allergic reactions to dairy products and grain are very common reactions that may interfere with nutrient absorption. This goes to show how ignorant conventional drug pushing doctors are when it comes mood disorders. They haven't got a clue. It is true that allergy tests, like many other medical tests are not totally accurate, but useful nevertheless, they are indicators! I use

Finding your Allergies

for locating allergies. If you want to recover from depression avoid conventional doctors like the one you saw, unless they have post-graduate qualifications in nutritional biochemistry!
jurplesman

Next