Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Anxiety and Panic Attacks -> Ways to reduce adrenaline output This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Ways to reduce adrenaline output

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Panic Attacks and Anxiety Resources

Free panic attacks course

What are panic attacks? (article)

Panic attacks and your basic needs (article)

Anxiety and depression (article)

Anxiety FAQ

Panic attacks CD

Panic attacks

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
supersezza

Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:31 am

Ways to reduce adrenaline output    Reply with quote  

Does anybody know any good ways of reducing the amount of adrenaline produced by your body?

Thank you!

cdstack

Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 12:54 pm

Hi supersezza

I found cutting out high carb foods help no sweets or cakes
or sugary drinks. I find certain foods make me more anxious. I am no expert but maybe others can help.

Steve
Lizzy

Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:15 pm

Steve,
What are the foods that make you more anxious? And what do you consider high carbs?
Lizzy...
cdstack

Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:45 pm

Hi lizzy

any kind of biscuits,white bread patatoes,whitepasta,chips,pizza.
once a week i allow myself a treat like a pizza chinese or india. I have greatly reduced my intake off bad carbs and have alost 18lbs in weight
even while taking my meds. I was recomended a book by kabatz called the holford diet took what i needed from that and started eating better. i dont think i will ever be 100 percent calm but it has helped alot.

Steve
Lizzy

Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:50 pm

Thanks a bunch Steve. Your info is verry helpful Very Happy
Lizzy...
cdstack

Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:56 pm

Hi Lizzy

I also take Omega3 Fish Oils - 1000mg. I hope this helps i know how hard it can get i have suffered anxiety and depression since i was about
12 now at 39 am still learning to live everyday with this illness.

Good luck

Steve
Lizzy

Post Fri Jun 17, 2005 9:40 pm

Thanks again steve!
Lizzy...
briary

Post Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:42 pm

Hi Sarah

One way of dealing with the extra adrenaline which is produced by anxiety is to exercise which naturally uses up this excess adrenaline.

Of course, one of the best ways to avoid too much adrenaline from anxiety is to be able to reduce the amount of anxiety you experience in the first place, by doing things like practising the 7/11 breathing and setting time aside for some proper relaxation.

Karen
jurplesman

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:06 am

The best way to avoid excess adrenaline production is going on a hypoglyemic diet.

Google search: Anxiety hypoglycemia"
AceAshkuff

Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:01 pm

...tryptophan?    Reply with quote  

Hello,

While I'm sure some one else has already thought of it, I just want it in writing...

Tryptophan (forgive the mispelling) is commonly understood to make its consumer slightly lethargic... i.e. "sleepy". While I'm unsure of exactly HOW it achieves this, I imagine that it might bind to, and neutralize, stress hormones/chemicals like adrenaline. Another guess is that it might trigger some nervous response that makes the adrenal gland less active.

Either way, even if Tryptophan doesn't nessacarily reduce adrenaline directly, it's superficial results are essentially the same: you calm down a little.

That's why parents give warm milk to crying children. Turkey is also supposed to have significant concentrations of Tryptophan.

-Regards, Ace
purplemonkey
Preferred Member

Post Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:47 pm

Vitamin B3 (niacin) and magnesium reduces adrenaline production see my other post "Thought you guys should know this" about adrenaline being metabolised into a hallucigenic substance by the body called adrenachrome which causes the unreal feeling.
jurplesman

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:14 am

Tryptophan is the nutritional forerunner of serotonin (via hydroxytryptophan 5-HTP) and serotonin in turn is the forerunner of melatonin, the chemical that helps us to fall asleep in conditions of darkness.
Hence tryptophan can be used as as a tranquiliser or sleeping agent. (see:
here.

Various coenzymes are needed to complete to conversions.

People with a niacin (B3) deficiency may not be able to produce serotonin, because the body will convert tryptophan into niacin at the rate of 60 to 1, leaving little tryptophan for conversion to serotonin.

Hence some people may overcome their depression by taking niacin. It is better to take 5-HTP.

In nutritional medicine we need to avoid the temptation to think in terms of single causes, suggesting that single remedies can treat depression. Psychiatrist tend to make the same mistake believing that single drugs can "cure" depression. They too underestimate the complexity of nutritional medicine.

Nutritional biochemistry is far too complex for this. Nutrients are dependent on other nutrients and work in cooperation of one another.

See:

Hit or Miss Supplements for Depression
purplemonkey
Preferred Member

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:24 am

Briary, what is the best kind of exercise to reduce adrenaline?
purplemonkey
Preferred Member

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:29 am

sex is a good one too, gets those beta-endorphins going
orthomolecular

Post Tue Jul 25, 2006 2:02 pm

[quote="jurplesman
Various coenzymes are needed to complete to conversions.

People with a niacin (B3) deficiency may not be able to produce serotonin, because the body will convert tryptophan into niacin at the rate of 60 to 1, leaving little tryptophan for conversion to serotonin.

Hence some people may overcome their depression by taking niacin. It is better to take 5-HTP.

In nutritional medicine we need to avoid the temptation to think in terms of single causes, suggesting that single remedies can treat depression. Psychiatrist tend to make the same mistake believing that single drugs can "cure" depression. They too underestimate the complexity of nutritional medicine.

Nutritional biochemistry is far too complex for this. Nutrients are dependent on other nutrients and work in cooperation of one another.

See:

Hit or Miss Supplements for Depression[/quote]

http://www.smart-drugs.com/JamesSouth-depression.htm
In people who are even marginally vitamin B6 deficient, Tryptophan may be immediately degraded by the liver into the mildly toxic metabolites hydroxykynurenine, xanthurenic acid, and hydroxyanthranilic acid, then excreted in urine (9). Thus, the brain typically receives less than l% of ingested Tryptophan.

Vitamin b6 is essential for serotonin levels. (Niacin is also important to prevent a NAD deficiency.) But if anyone needs to supplement amino acids like tryptophan or 5htp then there are either not breaking down proteins into amino acids or not eating enough protein. Either situation should be corrected.

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: