Why TV is "relaxing"

Postby RON WEISS » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:22 pm

Watching television is the favorite leisure activity or rather nonactivity
for millions of people around the world.

The average American, by
the time he is sixty years old, will have spent fifteen years staring at the TV
screen.

In many other countries the figures are similar.

Many people find watching TV "relaxing." Observe yourself closely
and you will find that the longer the screen remains the focus of your
attention, the more your thought activity becomes suspended, and for long
periods you are watching the talk show, game show, sitcom, or even
commercials with almost no thought being generated by your mind.

Not only do you not remember your problems anymore, but you become temporarily free of yourself - and what could be more relaxing than that?

This shows how you became slave of your mind , that is always speaking to you , and you feel good when it does not , like when you watch TV , go the movie theater and so on ......

To feel better , people get druds, get drunk,and more , just for being able to stop thinking .

You can train your mind work for you and not against you .

Yours,

Ron Weiss
RON WEISS

Likes Received: 0

Postby Annie7788 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:44 pm

I find tv an enormous waste of time. But then I feel the same way about the internet.....there was a report out this week saying the internet makes you feel depressed. I wonder if the same is true of television?
Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 1

Postby Wiganlad2010 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:11 pm

Annie7788 wrote:I find tv an enormous waste of time. But then I feel the same way about the internet.....there was a report out this week saying the internet makes you feel depressed. I wonder if the same is true of television?

You really find TV a waste of time? I'm curious, what shows do you tend to watch if you do watch it?

I generally love TV but I dont think it calms me, it is just entertainment.
Wiganlad2010

Postby desperate788 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:16 pm

I'm watching tv till ı sleep, have a great night, see you tomorrow morning:)
desperate788

Likes Received: 40

Postby Annie7788 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:44 pm

Wiganlad2010 wrote:
You really find TV a waste of time? I'm curious, what shows do you tend to watch if you do watch it?

I generally love TV but I dont think it calms me, it is just entertainment.

My faves at the moment are mad men, I liked being human but Im getting bored with it in series 2. Bizarrely I like "come dine with me" (I find it comforting and funny). I generally watch films if anything decent is on. I don't mind doc martin and heartbeat because of the nice scenery. I like some documentaries. I will also admit to watching eastenders and getting hooked on the dramarama. But what I find a complete waste of brain space are reality tv (apart from come dine which I should really hate too), pop idol, strictly come dancing, big brother, Im a celebrity get me out of here (most hated), the house buying programmes (why oh why?), escape to the country, antique hunter or whatever its called, jeremy k, road wars.... etc etc.

But in general I hate how tv I can sit and waste an evening watching tv and do nothing useful and there are so many things I could be doing like reading books or going to the gym or seeing friends or study (I am juggling two courses) or having a spring clean (it's got to be done) or going to bed early (im an insomniac so a routine without tv would be good) or go for a walk and get some fresh air. I feel the same way about the net. That's an even bigger waste of good time. Its so easy to switch the tv on or the net and just zone out of reality. I have a pile of really good books to read and instead I zone out.

I'd love to just try to exist without technology for a week. Im sure it would be so relaxing.
Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Postby Annie7788 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:47 pm

Oh yeah (major gripe) why are all the good shows on really late? That's so annoying.

Anyway Ive just switched on the telly and godfather part II is on. That's the rest of the evening gone.... :)
Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Postby Wiganlad2010 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:59 pm

All the programmes you listed as a waste of time, I hate :) But I watch so much TV/anime it is ridiculous lol... I guess I only do it because I have so much free time, or rather time I should be studying I waste watching programmes and listioning to music. I don't think of it as wasted time though, I think of it as an improvement :)

I am not a fan of reading to be honest, the closest I get to reading for fun is reading for my course, I like to read about studies and interesting cases.
Wiganlad2010

Postby Annie7788 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 11:21 pm

haha at seeing it as improvement - that's great positive thinking.
Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Postby polymath » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:46 am

TV is not relaxing, its escaping. We're wired to move, think, interact. None of these happens when watching TV. It dulls the senses because it takes us away from what we were designed to do.
polymath
Preferred Member

Postby wylo » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Annie7788 wrote:I find tv an enormous waste of time. But then I feel the same way about the internet.....there was a report out this week saying the internet makes you feel depressed. I wonder if the same is true of television?

I heard about the survey, but it makes me wonder, what came first the chicken or the egg? i.e. people that are feeling depressed are the most likely people to be sitting down using the internet or watching TV all day. So maybe they are the people that answered that survey.
wylo

Postby Annie7788 » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:49 pm

Well depression is definitely on the increase so it's likely to be linked to the increase in technology rather than the other way around.
Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Postby wylo » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:33 pm

True,
Going back to the point, like everything, I think TV isnt bad in small doses, I think its relaxing as a pure form of escapism. While it wouldnt be considered productive, imo it is still important in our modern life, and if you have had a stressful day I think its almost productive to go and watch TV for for an hour or 2 (max).

While a book probably contributes more to your intelligence and vocabulary I think completely zoning out in front of the TV for a short time can be nearly as good..
wylo

Postby Annie7788 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:07 am

Oh yeah definitely. When I was a child there was nothing I loved better than sitting right in front of the tv (I was always getting told to move because it would "ruin my eyes" sitting so close). I was always getting told to go and play outside in the "fresh air" because sitting in front of the tv for too long was "unhealthy". Any cartoon was just like heaven. One of my treasured earliest memory when I was about 2 years old is of my older brother calling me so that we could cuddle up in front of the telly and watch a tom and jerry cartoon (that was in the days when I was his beloved little sister...). I also remember when my parents were arguing and things were stressful at home, comedies on tv could keep me feeling happy about life. At one point I was crazy about sitcoms (from about age 8 or so).

So yes, tv can really make some people feel happier, but for different reasons.

I don't think I hate tv in itself, but I hate what's on tv these days. When I was growing up I think we had five channels and there always seemed to be something worth watching. Now there are trillions and nothing worth switching on for....

Perhaps we are just overly stimulated with all the information and it leads to depression due to a lack of focus on anything useful....
Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Postby theforsaken » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:46 am

yet here we all are on a psychology/depression forum on the internet. anyone else see a contradiction? lol
theforsaken

Return to Psychology