I'm on Citalopram, but I still can't sleep!

Discussions in anxiety, panic attacks, phobias and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Practical help for anxiety disorders.

Postby MinervaC » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:33 pm

I've been on Citalopram for about 3 weeks now, and at first I didn't even notice anythin, it actually really annoyed me cos I thought nothing was happening. But my doctor up-ed my dose to 20mg a day now. But I told him i couldn't sleep til like 4am and its ruining my college work and I've got some A-Level exams in the next few weeks, so i need some sleep but the tablets have stopped me from being so teary and morbid all the time so i don't know what to do. I feel like the doctor isn't listening to me arghhhh!!!! (sorry MAJOR rant)
MinervaC

Postby Browny » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:53 pm

I was on citalopram for 3 months and barely slept at all. came off them 4 weeks ago....still can't sleep properly, wake up 5 or 6 times a night, although I seem to be able to get off to sleep now whereas before I would be awake for hours and then only manage a couple of hours at most. It practically killed me!
Browny

Postby Jen21 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:42 pm

Ive been taking 20mg citalopram for 3 weeks now. when i started i was taking the tablet at night and had problems sleeping but after changing to taking it in the morning i have slept alot better. i still wake up early without being able to get back to sleep, but i generally get at least 6 hours. i know some people split their dose taking half in the morning, half in the evening, dont know if this would help? :?
Jen21

Postby figaro » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:22 am

Browny wrote:I was on citalopram for 3 months and barely slept at all. came off them 4 weeks ago....still can't sleep properly, wake up 5 or 6 times a night, although I seem to be able to get off to sleep now whereas before I would be awake for hours and then only manage a couple of hours at most. It practically killed me!

For everyone taking citalopram & having sleep problems ; try taking your
citalopram in the early morning, & take a 25mg ( or 50 mg) pill of Trazodone just before going to bed. Such a regimen has helped me considerably in achieving significantly better sleep.

Trazodone was originally considered an antidepressant, it is now being used as a sleep aid.

Have been following this regimen for two months, without any problems.

As far as I could discover ; by using the internet - there are no adverse reactions in using the two drugs concurrently.

Have also discussed the matter of using the two drugs concurrently with my doctor, he also told me that there appears to be no harm in this combination, providing that there is at least a twelve hour interval between taking citalopram & Trazodone.

Suggest that you discuss the two drug therapy with your doctor first.
figaro

Postby Dan73 » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:42 pm

I have been on Citalopram for about 2 weeks now but I had trouble sleeping before I strated taking it. The same time the doctor prescribed the Cit she also gave me Trazodone to help sleep. I was on the Trazodone about a year ago for trouble sleeping and I know it helped me then but even taking the Cit and Traz I still have some trouble sleeping at night. I usually am awake by 2:30 and never fall back to sleep. Usually when I wake up it is with a panic attack so I know the Cit is not working yet because of that and am still feeling depressed. I know the doc said that it wil lprobably take 4-6 weeks to feel the effects of the Cit but I feel like I am going crazy. I sure hope this starts working before the 4-6 weeks!
Dan73

Postby brentles » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:18 pm

Staying asleep while on cit seems a common problem; I've been on it for 9 weeks now (20mg) and haven't experienced much anxiety or depression relief at all, but my sleep is suffering. I'm on zolpidem to help sleep, but I still wake up at 5 am (go to bed at midnight).
brentles

Postby scampo » Sat Jun 28, 2008 9:27 pm

The evidence for trazodone is that its sleep inducing effects wear off quite quickly. I was tempted to ask my GP for it until I read this.

With citalopram I gave up after more than twelve weeks because of no effects except bad ones. I hope you find success - it seems that many do. The evidence seems to show about 40-50% gain some relief.
scampo

Postby cjkheyho » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:22 pm

i have only been on them a week and i to have felt my sleep suffer doing loads of stuff during the day but then on a night being awake till half three or four which is not good!
cjkheyho

Postby Dan73 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:47 pm

Well now after about 3 to 4 weeks of taking the Cit I started feeling some of the med kicking in. I do not have the anxiety like I did but I still feel depressed and am having panic attacks. I know the Cit alone will not help with the depression; I know I also have to get to the root of the problem to help the depression. I still have problems staying asleep at night even with the Traz and almost any little sound wakes me up but I do know the Traz does help me fall asleep. I am probably asking for a miracle but I wish something would help me. I can tell you that having a few (4 or 5) beers does help me relax but I know I definitely shouldn't be doing that every night. I have learned that depression is very hard on your entire system and I know that making some changes in my life will definitely help. If I could get myself motivate to exercise and eat right instead of eating once a day I would feel a little better. If anyone has any suggestions that helped to get motivated and eat better I would be very grateful!
Dan73

Postby scampo » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:56 am

The beers will help you get to sleep but often cause cause a rebound effect after just a few hours that keeps you away. If citalopram does its job it will definitely help your depression as that's what it is designed to do. I think it causes the panic attacks in its early weeks. Best of luck with it.
scampo

Postby Dan73 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:47 am

I know when I do have a few beers at night and take the Traz I wake up more often during the night. I was having the panic attacks even before I started taking the Cit. I just hope they start to lessen soon. I know I would definitely be able to deal with the depression much better if the panic attacks would stop. I am really hoping that the full effect of the meds kicks in soon so I get more relief. The panic attacks are killing my productivity at work.
Dan73

Postby sarahvti » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:18 pm

i amon citalpram 10mg, and have had a high dose before i asked the doctor for some sleeping tablets and she told me to get some from the chemist i find that boots sleep easy tablets work well, if i wake upi am able to turn over and go back to sleep. i dont use them everyday , i tend to use them every other day for a bit until my citalprm are in my system and the not sleeping wears off.
sarahvti

Postby abby1992 » Thu May 13, 2010 11:20 am

Hello,

I've been on citalopram for quite a while now.

And i know a lot of people who are on it, one being a friend of my mums who is also a nurse.

The main trouble with citalopram and sleep is when you take it, citalopram will make your brain more active, making it harder to sleep. If you want to sleep better, taking it in the morning will help, it helped me a lot, maybe it wont work for everyone but if you give it a try it might solve the problem

:)
abby1992

Postby scampo » Fri May 14, 2010 9:43 pm

The half life is long so when it is taken cannot really affect blood levels. I detest the stuff but guess it works for some people.
scampo

Previous

Return to Anxiety and Panic Attacks