The Validity of Hypnotherapy Certifications

Postby Chord » Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:43 pm

Hello everyone, I've been a Hypnotherapist (non-certified) for quite some time now and the one thing that has me quite confused is the method of Certification for Hypnotherapists in the U.S.

I've been searching all over the internet for a free certification (not training, just the certification) for Hypnotherapy as I would like to enhance my credentials, however after hours of lurking the vast canyons of the web I have been completely unable to find any. I have however, found many different organizations providing their own unique flair of certification for those who are willing to scrape their pockets for ridiculous amounts of money. This whole thing has me confused because truthfully, what stops any individual from being a self proclaimed "Certified Hypnotherapist" with a shiny home-printed certificate?

I'm lost, mostly because all I want is a Certification, not hours of training that I've already received and taught myself.

Any advice/ideas/suggestions for my wholly non-linear format of questioning?
Chord

Postby Dennis Atkinson » Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:23 pm

Dear Chord:

My suggestion would be to look for schools that are approved by ACHE ... American Counsel of Hypnotist Examiners. They have a good program, and offer a well rounded certification program.
Dennis Atkinson

Postby Joe100 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:27 am

Certification in the US means nothing.

As for your specific question, HMI has a free course that at the end they grant you a cert.

I can also make a PDF of a cert for you so that you can print it out on parchment paper and frame it.

When my clients ask about certs I tell them the truth. That it's all hogwash, that I'm completely unlicensed, that I'm mostly self taught, and that's why if they have been diagnosed with any condition that I need a referral.

Joe
Joe100
Preferred Member

Postby Chord » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:48 am

Thanks to you both for your responses, they've both been quite helpful. I've already started taking the HMI Foundations course, it's been quite interesting..

Joe, I'd certainly appreciate that PDF, I'll email you at the address in your description.

Thanks again,
-Chord
Chord

Postby jess1218 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:25 pm

Chord wrote:Hello everyone, I've been a Hypnotherapist (non-certified) for quite some time now and the one thing that has me quite confused is the method of Certification for Hypnotherapists in the U.S.

I've been searching all over the internet for a free certification (not training, just the certification) for Hypnotherapy as I would like to enhance my credentials, however after hours of lurking the vast canyons of the web I have been completely unable to find any. I have however, found many different organizations providing their own unique flair of certification for those who are willing to scrape their pockets for ridiculous amounts of money. This whole thing has me confused because truthfully, what stops any individual from being a self proclaimed "Certified Hypnotherapist" with a shiny home-printed certificate?

I'm lost, mostly because all I want is a Certification, not hours of training that I've already received and taught myself.

Hi Chord,

I am a hypnotherapy trainer and will say that the value and meaning of the certification comes from you. It is as meaningful or meaningless as you make it. With that said, having the certification from an organization allows you to do certain things like advertising in some venues that require proof of certification. Also some professional liability insurance providers require "proof" of certification. Some states in the US also have certain laws governing who can practice hypnotherapy and who can not.

I am curious why you want a piece of paper that says you're certified but you do not want to put in the time to expand your knowledge? You have done studying in the past so why would you stop now?

Hypnosis is not a closed field, keep learning. You want something that you perceive will give you added value so give some value (effort, time, money) in return.

Cheers!
Jess
jess1218

Postby Chord » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:32 pm

jess1218 wrote:
Chord wrote:Hello everyone, I've been a Hypnotherapist (non-certified) for quite some time now and the one thing that has me quite confused is the method of Certification for Hypnotherapists in the U.S.

Hi Chord,

I am a hypnotherapy trainer and will say that the value and meaning of the certification comes from you. It is as meaningful or meaningless as you make it. With that said, having the certification from an organization allows you to do certain things like advertising in some venues that require proof of certification. Also some professional liability insurance providers require "proof" of certification. Some states in the US also have certain laws governing who can practice hypnotherapy and who can not.

I am curious why you want a piece of paper that says you're certified but you do not want to put in the time to expand your knowledge? You have done studying in the past so why would you stop now?

Hypnosis is not a closed field, keep learning. You want something that you perceive will give you added value so give some value (effort, time, money) in return.

Cheers!
Jess

My desire to receive a certification primarily lies in the desire to help set my patient's mind's at ease, as I'm quite young for the field and people's predisposition to make assumptions based on age versus understanding and experience seem to set a pedestal to heighten their misconceptions. I've taken several courses and classes on Hypnotherapy as well over the past few years, and even though I do continue to expand my knowledge in the field, I find that $3,000 for three weeks worth of information and training on subject matter that I've already been trained in for a piece of paper that has very little weight attached to it to be a pointless pursuit and disdainful waste of time.
Chord

Postby jess1218 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:51 am

My desire to receive a certification primarily lies in the desire to help set my patient's mind's at ease,[/quote

Be very careful here. They are clients they are NOT patients unless you are a doctor (m.d, d.o, ph.d., or chiropractor) in the U.S. Referring to them as patients can get you into legal trouble depending on where you are in the states.

] as I'm quite young for the field and people's predisposition to make assumptions based on age versus understanding and experience seem to set a pedestal to heighten their misconceptions.

How old are you and how much experience do you have? Do you have testimonials available to potential clients?

I've taken several courses and classes on Hypnotherapy as well over the past few years,

With whom have you studied? What hypnotherapy courses have you taken that did not end in a certification? Why did you take courses that did not result in certification when you are interested in having it?

If you are seeing people professionally do you have insurance?

and even though I do continue to expand my knowledge in the field, I find that $3,000 for three weeks worth of information and training on subject matter that I've already been trained in for a piece of paper that has very little weight attached to it to be a pointless pursuit and disdainful waste of time.

You find it disdainful to invest money into something that will not only expand your knowledge but also translate into more clients? Certifications objectively don't mean a lot but subjectively are very important for the client and often for the hypnotist. There is as much weight attached to it as someone places on it.

FWIW, there are less expensive hypnotherapy certs. I will be holding a 6 day intensive at the end of the summer for significantly lower than 3k. There are also many other programs that are not nearly as expensive.

Cheers!
Jess
jess1218