How to cope with bad stuff which is going to hit me

Postby NotGonnaTell » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:22 pm

For a few years already I've been living with the knowledge that something rather bad is going to hit me sooner or later. There is a criminal case against me (I didn't kill anybody or anything of that sort, something rather mild), which is most likely going to result in conviction and few months time.

The implications will be: I'm going to loose my job and most likely my profession (I cannot work with criminal record in my field). So...obviously this is affecting my mental state. I half got used to it...but it's really a pain, waking up every morning with this thought I cannot get rid of and living with it through the whole date. It is affecting pretty much all aspects of my life...

I ran out of ideas...how one can hope with something pretty bad which is going to hit him? I'm doing what I can to mitigate this, but I'm realistic and I know that the odds are not in my favor.
NotGonnaTell

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:45 pm

Read the scientific works of Dan Gilbert. I think Stumbling Onto Happiness is one of his books. Study after study shows that we always tend to overestimate the negative impacts of an event. We think it is going to be horrible, but a few years after the event you look back and it isn't that bad.
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 914

Postby cynthialeighton » Sat Jan 21, 2017 2:24 am

I assume you have attorney(s). Ask your attorney(s) about your job and your profession and whether there's something you can do to minimize the impact. For example, if one gets a driving traffic ticket, taking a driving class may help. I know you said criminal so it's not likely to be something so straightforward. However, it may not be as permanent as you believe.
cynthialeighton
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 33