How did you stop?

Postby Iwantmylifeback » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:10 am

Hi everyone, I'm a 36 yo single mom and I've developed an alcohol dependency.
I've never had a problem with alcohol until around three years ago. I had two really abusive relationships, close together and the latter one ended with him beating me so badly, I could've died.
I was in a women's refuge for 6 months and my drinking problem started there.
I drink vodka, at least a half every night plus a can or two of beer.
I don't crave it at all during the day and even for most of the evening but at around 8 or 9 I find myself opening a bottle.
The odd night I don't drink I feel so happy with myself and I don't miss it but find myself buying more the next day 'to pass the time'
My kids are well looked after and all their needs are met. I only drink when they're in bed, but it's affecting my quality of life.
I've put on a tonne of weight. I've been diagnosed with PTSD which I'm receiving treatment for. I feel awful every morning and I've stopped doing anything that I enjoy.
My mother suspected I was drinking and called social services who conducted an investigation but found nothing because my kids are looked after. It's me I'm not looking after.
Does anyone have a similar story and how did you recover. I just want my life back and wasting this money I could be spending on my kids. They deserve more.
Thanks for reading x
Iwantmylifeback

Likes Received: 1

Postby HungryGhost99 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:08 pm

Hi,

Although I don't have an alcohol problem like you, I have an addiction. I highly recommend attending a 12 step program like AA (Alcoholic's Anonymous). They provide support that you need... You can't do it alone and they are there for you.
Usually, every city in the world has a meeting every single day at multiple locations and times, so you can pick one that's convenient for you. The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking.

I have been attending 12 step meetings every day for the past 25 days and it has made my recovery so much smoother and easier. I know its early in my recovery but I feel its working. All you have to do is attend and your recovery will begin.

A lot of people think AA isn't for them because it requires a belief in "God". Not necessarily true. It is just a higher power or a "God of your understanding". If you slip or can't remain sober at first, they will welcome you back each time.

If you haven't heard of it and need help, I recommend it.
HungryGhost99

Likes Received: 27

Postby Quinnster » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Check out the site Sober Recovery. I am on this site and that site as well. That one is more geared to alcohol. I quit using principles taught in Rational Recovery, but relied on Sober Recovery for support. I am 5 years into Alcohol recovery, but developed a marijuana addiction as a crutch. Now I am attempting to fix that. Good luck to you and quit before it gets worse because it will.
Quinnster

Likes Received: 17

Postby Jamie514 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:41 am

Alcohol, beer drinking habit is very worst habit for everyone, Because alcohol or beer addicted peoples separated from society and their family. So that time is very difficult for drug addicted people. My cousine had also fond of alcohol and beer, he became fail to stop drinking but finally he done this and stopped drinking alcohol only with his mind control. He also go to him expert doctor and the doctor give him some medicine for his recover. Now he is fine. :)
Jamie514

Likes Received: 18

Postby Iwantmylifeback » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:46 pm

Thanks Guys for your advice. I'm well on my way to being healthier and happier x
Iwantmylifeback

Postby tokeless » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:58 pm

My kids are well looked after and all their needs are met. I only drink when they're in bed

Hi.. not meaning to be hard on you but you need to consider the above. Whether you're a good mum or not if you're drinking that amount even when they are in bed, how would you respond if there was an emergency? You couldn't legally drive. If you called an ambulance and they smelt alcohol on you it may lead to other concerns. As I say I'm sure you're a good mum but the above statement needs thought because it makes drinking at night okay to you... the question is are you able to respond to the needs of your children in an emergency?
Best wishes
tokeless

Likes Received: 182

Postby Iwantmylifeback » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:10 am

Hi Tokeless, my Dad and his girlfriend live in the next house to mine, literally next door so I used that as an excuse that if anything happened I have them there, both with cars.
Thankfully I’ve stopped and it hasn’t been as hard as I imagined. My kids are none the wiser thankfully.
Iwantmylifeback

Postby seeingthelight » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:57 am

I don’t have a lot of time under my belt. However I’ve reached rock bottom and come to the realization.. I can no longer do this to myself!! I’ve lost too many times and taken too many beatings. While some might be able to balance both.. I know now I can’t have a happy, healthy and trouble free life while toking. It just doesn’t work. Fortunately, the thought of smoking now makes me sick. So I’ve gone cold turkey - One day at a time and have no desire to take a step backwards
seeingthelight

Likes Received: 20

Postby laureat » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:10 am

I would simply try to focus on what i need to do instead of what i dont need to do

I would ask myself a question: what do ppl that dont drink alcohol do on their lives?

the past you talking about could possible lead you to alcohol: you should also learn how to movr forwards with your life

There is no excuse not to move forwards: the past is gone move forwards , and dont use the past for an excuse to drink alcohol again
laureat

Likes Received: 102

Return to Addictions