Ovarian Cysts - any cures?

Psychotherapists, counsellors, and people. Helpers of all persuasions. Discuss cases, ideas and training.

Postby Michael Lank » Sun Jun 06, 2004 2:47 pm

Does anyone have any experience of getting rid of ovarian cysts? - the woman has had it for several years, so it's not a functional cyst that usually disappears within a few months. She's been told that if it doesn't go she may need surgery, so is very keen to find a friendlier alternative.

Thanks
Michael Lank

Postby beck » Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:11 pm

Six years ago my gyno told me I had ovarian cysts on one ovary and wanted me to have surgery, but I didn't. All prelim tests said no cancer. Anyway, I went back to gyno last year and still had them, but they had not grown much. They've watched them with ultrasounds and blood tests. I had a physical with a different doc couple of years ago and she said, many times with menopause if not cancerous they will go away. Of course, if they are cancerous...you're dead if you don’t get them out pronto!

My thoughts: I want to naturally go into menopause. I’d like to keep my ovaries. They must be doing something good for me.

I’m not afraid of dying I do believe in heaven so death is not scary, but I don’t like pain!! The getting there is the only thing that might have me troubled a bit.

I don’t like how my sister or friends responded to their hysterectomies…and one friend had a nightmare of troubles since hers and will never be the same again.

Basically, its just a choice. You do have 70-30 odds…if you like those. Any research you do on the internet will almost scare you into surgery.

I don’t know any hocus pocus, but I did pray about it. I’ll turn 50 this year.
beck

Postby Jill Wootton » Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:13 pm

Hi Mike

Really depends upon what sort of cyst it is, some can be left, some need to be operated on as they can cause bowel obstruction if left, or burst.

Some can be cancerous, or it can be PCO poly cystic ovaries.

Has she been assessed?

Jill
Jill Wootton
Uncommon Knowledge Staff

Postby seawolf » Fri Sep 17, 2004 3:03 pm

HI there (am also from Brighton, no, Hove actually!)
I am just so excited because I think I've cured my ovarian cyst.
I had one on my left ovary which grew to 13cm and caused pain back in 2000 and had an operation to have it removed. They removed the ovary too.
This year when I went for a check up the doctor found one on the other ovary, only 2.5cm. Because the first operation set me back psychologically for many months, the thought of having another op plus entering menopause overnight sent me into a panic. I was stunned by the news and for a while I couldn't think straight, but eventually as I calmed down I decided to start educating myself about the menopause. (I'm 47). I read a wonderful book by Dr John Lee called: 'What your doctor may not tell you about menopause'. It is a fantastic book and I urge you to get it.
In it he talks about using natural progesterone cream to alleviate all sorts of symptoms associated with the menopause. He also mentioned that if you use the cream ovarian cysts can disappear after one or two cycles. I bought it and used the cream for two cycles, went back to the doctor (a different doctor) and he could not see any cyst!!!!
I was amazed and put it down to the cream.
By the way the first doctor put a lot of pressure on me to have the operation right away.
So please get this book and educate yourself. It was so worth it. It feels like a death sentence has been removed from hanging over my head.
bye
:lol:
seawolf

Postby Bridget » Wed Sep 29, 2004 11:37 am

I've had great success with this using reiki master healing. I'm told that a mixture of reiki master healing and reflexology is very powerful. I imagine a mixture of hypnosis and reiki would be ideal (I do this for several clients). As far as hypnosis is concerned, I would look up medical background to ovarian cysts and make up a story to parallel the pattern, providing a 'happily ever after' ending. With reiki, as the healer, I visualise the cysts slowly deflating, getting smaller and smaller and being carried away by the blood and lymph until they are dispelled by the body. I also visualise the red rawness being soothed by bluish-green fluid which lubricates and smooths and heals the area - straightening everything out and making it pink and healthy. I visualise everything "in perfect working order". You might be able to cobble a metaphor together out of that...
Hope this helps
Bridget
Bridget
MVP
MVP

Postby young_and_scared » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:42 pm

Birthcontrol pills are supposed to dissolve them but the sideaffects are scarey. :lol:
young_and_scared

Postby young_and_scared » Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:58 pm

PLEASE, help me through this. i am so scared and dont know what to do or how to deal. my doc. is on vaca. so i dont know what kind of cyst i have yet but they are so painful. i have lost so much weight and strength. is this normal? if i dont take surgery what will get rid of this pain? my mom has stuck behind me through the thing, praying and supporting me through the whole thing but i am just so scared. it is not normal for someone like me to have cysts. i had one burst already and the ultrasound said it was pretty big. it also says i multiple cysts on both ovaries. i cant get the help i need from my mom because she has never gone through this before. i need support from someone who knows and understands what i am going through. i just wish i could understand this more. it is a very confussing diese. i inherited my cysts from my family so naturally i can not get rid of them inless i lose my ovaries. and there is a 50/50 chance of having kids at this state of the problem, but i want kids. i want one on my own. and if i cant have my own kids i would rather die. if i could have help from someone that understands, maybe i can understand and have more hope. but noone in my family can give it to me because they didnt have this as bad as i do. maybe you can help me. please email me it is pinkpuff52@hotmail.com just put in the subject OVARIAN CYST HELP. :cry: [/url]
young_and_scared

Postby Bridget » Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:31 pm

Hi young & scared
It must be very frightening for you right now with all those questions that need answers. It must be scary to know that all this is happening to your body at a young age, and of course, it is only natural to feel worried and to wonder what the future holds. Some people find that when they get to see the doctor or the relevant health expert, that a lot of their fears can be laid to rest. Ovarian Cysts are certainly more common than you might think, and there are lots of women who have had bad cases and come through fine - and had children fine, too. There are also lots of different types of cyst - some painful but harmless and some that can clear on their own. When your doctor returns from vacatation, he or she will be able to answer many of your questions and put you in touch with professionals who are trained in this area: trained to look after you, to diagnose the type of cyst and the best treatment, to give you advice, to answer difficult questions, to support you and your family. Meantime, you might find out if there are any support groups or networks in your area - peolpe who have been through this and can help you and your family to pull through, too.

When people become worried and tense and fearful, we know that they feel pain more accutely. When they learn to relax and enjoy the good bits of thier lives - Christmas time, vacation, family, loved ones, hobbies, sports - then they actually FEEL better and the discomfort diminishes. Warm compresses (hot water bottles, etc) and pain killers like paracetemol or ibuprofen can help ease discomfort. Distractions - a funny movie, a family game, a walk in the countryside, a special trip or outing, an exciting adventure book - can all help to take a person's mind off their difficulty, which really does help to make things better.

I'm sure that once your doctor is back and you are seen by a professional, you will find that this is something that can be cured. Out of interest, when did they start? Was there anything different happening around that time? Apart from the cysts themselves, is everything else ok?

Wishing you a healthy 2005.
Bridget Herbert
Bridget
MVP
MVP

Postby shortycake2 » Tue Oct 11, 2005 2:44 pm

about 5 months ago i found out that i had an ovarian cyst. it was on my left side but to make matters worse it was taking up my entire left side. needless to say i had to have immediate surgery. thankfully there was no cancer and i was told that i would be fine and able to have children and that my right side would kick in. that was in april, about a week ago i startedhaving pain on my left side so i went to the doctor and she had a ct dne as it turns out they can't figure out why there is pain on my left but found another cyst this time on the right side.

does anyone know what causes these things is there something i'm doing wrong? i'm young and want children but first have to conquer this.
shortycake2

Postby Merely » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:02 am

ovarian cysts don't cause any harm whereas others create an impending threat to the health, cures for ovarian cysts differ dramatically, i.e. depending completely on individual circumstances of yours. In majority of cases, 'ovarian cysts' are nothing but functional cysts which develop at menstrual cycle's end and get cleared up by themselves after the release of eggs in fallopian tubes.

for more information about ovariancystatoz com
Merely

Postby megan » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:20 pm

Hi Mike,

havent got time to read all posts so maybe this has been covered but there is a conditon called polycystic ovaries where cysts frequently form and go again. They are not cancerous and frequently cause no problems. If a cyst isnt causing a problem you can ignore it and just have it monitored. I have had a couple of ovarian cysts that have just gone on their own after a time. Occasionally however they can grow very large, cause pain and affect fertility, in which case its a simple surgical procedure to have them removed and nothing to worry about. If your friend has polycystic ovaries (my daughter has this) there is a medication called metformin that keeps them under control. What also helps is the hypoglycemic diet .. not sure why but I have read that a few times ... something to do with polycystic ovaries being associated with insulin .. but not sure how/why!

There is various stuff on google. Just found this:
www.cyst101.com/
A True Help for the Ovarian Cysts
Ovarian Cysts may be made to disappear by fooling the body into thinking it is pregnant. When the body is pregnant, no ovulation occurs and no follicle occurs and NO OVARIAN CYSTS can occur. By taking natural progesterone, a patient can fool the body into thinking it is pregnant and STOP the ovarian cysts from growing. Natural progesterone is a natural bioidentical hormone that your body produces during the latter half of your menstrual cycle and all throughout pregnancy ("pro" means "for" and gesterone means "gestation"). Natural progesterone indirectly signals the ovaries to stop producing eggs. Thus, natural progesterone commands the ovary to stop signaling the ovarian cysts to grow.

The signaling mechanism that shuts off ovulation in one ovary each cycle is the production of progesterone in the other. If sufficient natural progesterone is supplemented prior to ovulation, LH levels are inhibited and both ovaries think the other one has ovulated, SO REGULAR OVULATION DOES NOT OCCUR. (This is the same effect as contraceptive pills.) Similarly, the high estriol and progesterone throughout pregnancy successfully inhibit ovarian activity for nine months. Therefore, adding natural progesterone from day 10 through 26 of the cycle suppresses LH and its luteinizing effect. Thus, the cyst will not be stimulated and , in the passage of one or two such monthly cycles, will very likely shrink and disappear without further treatment."

Looks like pregnancy cures Ovarian cysts!! How well do you know her? :lol:
megan

Postby jjj » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:09 am

^Really good article segment. Pregnancy cured my cysts while I was pregnant but they came back after I finished breast feeding.

Well, I have endometriosis (although I have had very few symptoms/ cysts in the last few years). There is definitely a mind/ body connection in my case. I used visualizations during meditations to 'dissolve' the cysts (please do not feel that I'm recommending this over medical treatment). My dr. had recommended a hysterectomy. I manage to stay pretty healthy anymore. I will tell you that I truly believe that there is a mind/ body connection. I was sexually abused as a child and there is much research linking these type of issues with childhood sexual abuse.

I've heard many women say that the hysterectomy really helped them. I'm very glad that I didn't do it. So, I would say that it's really a personal decision. Do be sure to get the endoscopy if it is recommended. Use of biofeedback and meditation techniques (as well has hypnotherapy) to get above the pain can work (but I do remember some very horribly painful days at work... and missing work or leaving work at times) and, as I said, I used visualizations of dissolving the cysts and it worked. If you have this issue and you have been sexually abused, then you need to work through this issue as well.
jjj

Postby megan » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:24 am

Hi JJJ, Im glad you picked that point up .. I think there is definitely a mind/body connection with every physical condition. We are coming round to that more and more now, how stress and anger can have affects on blood pressure, heart, circulation. IBS and cancer being affected by stress etc., Just like how you think and feel, your expectations in life affect your experience, I think this is quite possible to manifest itself too in physical symptoms.

Glad you found relief. I use meditation a lot too ... not brilliant at it though!!
megan

Postby lizziejayne » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:39 pm

hello im new please help ive just been told i have 2 ovarian cysts 1large one on my right ovary and a smalle rone on the other ovary. the doctor told me the only option is a hysterectomy. im in deep shock as i want another child im happyto get rid of the cysts but do not want a total hysterectomy. i read online thatusing progesterone cream can make cysts disappear is this true? what arev my options as i want another child
lizziejayne

Postby PsyChris » Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:47 am

Are the cysts painful?

I assume you had an ultrasound which said they were benign?

Do you know what size they are? Do you know what type?

You should know that ovarian cysts can torse or rupture. This causes significant pain and if you are pregnant might lead to miscarriage.

I think you should get more information from your OB/GYN or obtain a second opinion. If the opinion of both OB/GYN's is a complete hysterectomy you might have to consider it.
PsyChris
MVP
MVP

Next