2 weeks in today... Weed and cigarettes cold turkey..

Postby Bagobones » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:30 pm

3 months and some days..

I am still a non smoker.. Last week i decided to go cold turkey on coffee.. That was interesting. I´ve been overdoing coffee almost as long as weed.. like 5-10 cups a day. Overkill.. I did not know it was a withdrawal detox thing on that too.. After 24 hours I was having a heavy headache. I was as sleepy as when I first quit weed, no concentration and brain-fog.. So I decided that this time I will ease myself off it. So I started to drink coffee again, but a lot less. I try only to drink green tea, which has been good, but old habit have me drinking a cup of coffee here and there.. I plan on going like this for a month, then quit caffeine for a while. Maybe 6 month to a year. The bad part is that the bad things minus the headache is still with me. So It seems quitting coffee brought back the weed detox full force.. I don't know.

I bought myself a gift for making 3 month. Plane ticket for surfing in Asia for the rest of the year. What is bad is that I am going to some rather dangerous places. I have lived in Southern Africa where its not very safe. I am a white Scandinavian.. So it´s not the first time I have to deal with that kind of thing. But still I hope my head will be a bit clearer before I land in a place where kidnapping for ransom crews, leftist guerillas and Islamic fanatical militants lives and operates.. Let´ just say this place has some pretty heavy travel warnings on western government pages. The price is pristine white beaches and empty surf lineups... I am traveling with locals and know the local language quite well, so it will hopefully be good...

Well that´s it for now.. I am getting pretty tired of being a bit strange in my head all the time I must admit.. I look forward to when this is over and i am back to normal...

When in doubt travel...

or as my army unit back in the days said:

when in doubt, hit the throttle...

Peace!
Bagobones

Likes Received: 27

Postby tokeless » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:21 pm

I like Hunter S Thompson's:
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.. stay strong and stay safe.
tokeless

Likes Received: 180

Postby Sweetdaddyjones » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:21 am

Hey bagobones! Took some time to read through your posts tonight and i must admit to feeling inspired by you. I quit smoking pot just before you did by a couple days. We are about the same age (ill be 41 in a couple weeks) and even smoked pot for about the same amount of time. I am also of Scandinavian decent but was born in Canada. Where in Scandinavia are you living?

To be honest im a little jealous of you. Your posts make it seem like you are having a much easier time quitting than I am. Dont get me wrong i am glad that I quit and can feel the positive changes already. For instance I have lost 30 kgs in the last few months and have more energy now than even in my 20's.

I am not posting to offer you any advise as you seem to have a good handle on your situation. I just wanted to say thank you for posting your progress. I want to stay quit and after reading your posts feel like i almost have a partner in out effort to take our lives back. Good luck with your apartment renovations.. I have renovated several houses over the years and know how expensive and exhausting it can be. I also hope you have a great time on your asian adventure. It sounds like a great time and in a few years once my daughter is grown up some more I hope to travel more of this beautiful planet.

And because you always end with a quote I will offer this:

If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. Sun Tzu
Sweetdaddyjones

Likes Received: 17

Postby Bagobones » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:10 pm

tokeless wrote:I like Hunter S Thompson's:
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.. stay strong and stay safe.

Thank you, and you too tokeless.. :) Oh how I love Hunter S Thompson, and remember:

No sympathy for the devil; keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...
Bagobones

Postby Bagobones » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:16 pm

Over 14 weeks

Thank you sweetdaddyjones. And I am proud of you for quitting. Good job man. Canada. Can´t be a easy place to quit. If my quit has been easy? Yes and no I would say.

Manila. The Pearl of the Orient. Its a smelly city. A smelly tropical, hot, huge city. Or that´s what I was thinking, while I was robbed by a clingy prostitute in Makati. Pick-pocketed. A skilled thief that girl. Beautiful too with long black hair and a skinny body. I did not notice her getting my phone or stack of pesos at all. But I was starting to be very drunk, and being very drunk in a place like this makes you a target. Easy pray. 1000 peso all night sir, she said in the most sexy Pinoy accent. I let her come in too close. All it took was 3 minutes..

And that´s how my quit have been difficult. I keep being stupid, low IQ, making bad decisions. My planning is horrible. So much so that I am getting bad self confidence. Questioning my actions all the time. That drunken night made me miss a flight. So what should i do now. I´ve been sitting here all day with nerves not managing to make up my mind. Should I go down South or do it safe and go where the tourists are in north? 2 Canadians was caught and decapitated down there just this year.

Sweetdaddyjones you mention my renovation. Looking back, that was one of my first bad decisions of me quitting weed and cigarettes. It was going good and my plan was working great. But adding the renovation just made it overwhelming. So I chose to take a break from yoga and muay thai and finish it. The training was actually helping a lot. The renovation even took away my possibility to eat healthy. I had to put in a new kitchen.

So yes Ive not been having panic attacks or other of the really bad things Ive been reading here. That´s the worst so far. And that it takes a long time. I am looking forward to this being over. Weed I hardly think about these days. I see it sometimes, like at a party a few weeks ago they where smoking, and also here i see it. But I have no problem saying no to it at all. I keep reading here that people still feel "weird" after 8 moths.. That is twice as long as now. I sure hope this has fixed itself by then. By this i mean Low iq, brain fog, no motivation to do anything, etc.

Well this crazy town is slowly waking up outside, and i need some breakfast, and a new phone.

In a world of thief's, the only final sin is stupidity.

Peace
Bagobones

Postby Julia Stretton » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:45 am

As frustrating as some of your experiences sound, there is also something extremely fascinating about your story.

When can we expect your book? I'd buy it! :D
Julia Stretton
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 71

Postby Bagobones » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:52 pm

4 months 4 days

merry Christmas and happy new year!

I dont think so Julia. You´ll get my ramlbings for free here.. hehe.. but I did get into some trouble with the local lady-boy crew in the MEGA-CITY, that i am not sharing.. You would have loved that story.. hehe..

Made it home in almost one piece. I had a long stop-over in Amsterdam. First time there without being high. But jumping on the plane in Asia in 30 Celsius and jumping off in 0 Celsius made me sick. Cold.

All i want now is to head back to those white beaches, that perfect clear water with beautiful miss T by my side.

I really enjoyed riding motorbikes through jungle roads as well. Small motorbikes, 125cc. I think ill have to get one for this town.

But the whole trip was feeling like a super stoner had planned a trip for a sober guy. Like I had one cracked bank card with me. No travel insurance. No vaccine. I kept asking myself WTF I was doing half the time. Like going surfing when i´ve not even been swimming for a long time.

But I had a beautiful woman by my side and got to swim with dolphins, go surfing and do yoga in paradise so I should not complain.

Its been to long time since I did missions that started by getting up 5.30 am in the morning. Leave the city 5.30 am on a boat, heading for some islands, then motorbikes through some jungle, then paying some local fishermen to drive us further out with their boats.. Explore, and live in the now..

Next milestone is 6 month. Less that 2 months away. Time flies when your having fun. I think 6 month is a good time to give myself a gift again. Most likely more traveling. Until then its work, training, and fixing my real-estate. Cleaning up my life a bit. Making it more minimalist..

Well until next time...

Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear.
Bagobones

Postby netty28661 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi bagobones,

I love catching up on your fascinating stories, you're very brave- I couldn't go on those adventures on my own!

Happy new year

Jannette
netty28661
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 51

Postby Bagobones » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:38 am

17 weeks 4 days

Thank you Jannette, and happy new year to you too. I had traveling parents so I got it in with my mothers milk. But I think you could easily do it if you had to. :D Its a lot of learning to be had being stranded on foreign shores alone. I recommend it to anyone.

I have been sick since my last post, a really bad cold. Feeling better now, and i am going back to work tomorrow.

I use to read a lot when I was growing up, and sometime during my smoking years I got really bad at reading. I use to be really fast at reading. During my quit It has come back to me, so i´v been reading more and more. All of it learning stuff, non fiction. But this week for a few days I had a bad "PAWS". So i could not read at all. But now i feel better and I am back to reading. I have also had no energy and i´ve been taking lethargy and fatigue to the next level. Ive literally been spending this week in bed with my Mac on my chest. I´ve also been moody. Like same moody as when i stopped nicotine in the beginning. Not all the time, sometimes.

Reading this forum it seems a lot of people has hit rock bottom, and quit weed. I never did that. For me it started as a joke with my friend in Manila. And after a few days not smoking, very surprising, I just knew I had smoked my last joint and cigarette. I just felt it very strongly. It was not a break I was on. I was done for the rest of my life. Also a lot of people I read has thrown out their smoking stuff like pipes, bongs and stuff, and cut out people they know that smokes. While I cut out most of my smoking crew, because they where negative and not people i needed in my life, i´ve kept my best friends that still smokes. I think they are a lot more idiots now that i don´t smoke myself, but still they are old friends, that i want in my life. And weed is out there all over the world. I will see it and I will have to deal with it no matter what. My old bong is in my kitchen cabinet with dust on it, and one of my friends that is still smoking i helped out a few days ago. I just put her in contact with a dealer with cheap good gear. I am still a strong supporter of legalization of all drugs.
But for me, no thank you. Its just nothing another hit of ganja can add to my life. And as the days and weeks goes by, it is getting more and more distant in my life. Passing my old favorite coffee shop in Amsterdam was not even remotely stressful.

As this journey ends, a new one begins.

peace
Bagobones

Postby Bagobones » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:56 pm

18 weeks 6 days

Still a non smoker and still recovering. I have noticed that my recovery is very non leaner. As of today I am the best I have been since quitting. But i still notice that I have some way to go. Right now it manifests itself in me being a bit stupid. Like I could not remember the word recovery. It took me some time to remember it. And I could not remember it in my main language, or the other I speak either. It took me some google time and heavy thinking to remember it. But still, I feel great. Very clear head.

My biggest problem right now is that I still have the stoner mindset. I still like to sit alone and stare into the wall. Looking back at the last 4 months, I´ve been doing some ashtanga yoga and thai boxing, going to the gym, got into meditating, got a new job, developed an apartment, surfing, free-diving, meeting new people and traveled the world. I have even grown a belly!! :cry: hehe..

On paper it all sounds very adventures, but in reality all of it has been hard. I most of all have wanted to sit on my a*s like I have done for the last 2 decades.
On the other hand I have felt the suppressed action sports traveling dude i use to be in my teens and early 20 coming back. And that scares me a bit, because that guy have to face that he has turned 42 years old, and have wasted the best time for doing those things on drugs and sofa sitting.

Long story short I have to get to know my self a bit again, and be mindful not to regret my choices, so much that it turns into mental problems like depression. And I also have to work to build up new healthy habits. They don't come for free just because i have quit smoking weed.

Well anyways, I want to go a few days to the sun again. I feel like hanging out with some Arabs.. Dubai or Morocco. Its surfing there too. And then around Easter try to go on a bigger trip like the one I went on at the end of last year. Get into some real trouble far far away! That´s going to be my 6 month sobriety gift!!

Ill end it today with a quote from the TV show the Wire:

Getting clean's the easy part. Now comes life.

Peace
Bagobones

Postby Julia Stretton » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:50 am

Bagobones wrote:18 weeks 6 days [...] I have even grown a belly!! :cry: hehe.. [...]

That sounds very familiar to me. Not that long ago, I was at least two clothes sizes smaller than now, but somehow I was still telling myself that my weight is in the 'normal' range, until I checked my BMI online yesterday, and I was pretty shocked to find out that I am classed as 'overweight' (by quite a fair amount), even though my waist-to-hip ration seems pretty normal. I hope that it's not because of some massive tar deposits in my lungs from 27 years of smoking, although maybe I am fitter and have got more muscle than I realise - after all I walk my dog about 1½ hours each day, and I do my posture / breathing exercises every day, which includes holding the same posture for nearly an hour each time. But I would definitely like to lose weight, and not only shed some pounds by eating less and more healthily, but by actively doing some exercise so that I tone my body and build a bit of muscle.

In the past (until I was about 30) I used to cycle a lot, which didn't only keep me fit during periods of excessive drinking and smoking, but which also helped me during recovery periods. The problem that I've now got is that I'm worried about arthritis, as it runs in the family and my father was diagnosed with it when he was only a few years older than I am now. It impacted his life severely, and I want to do whatever I can to avoid the same fate. Years ago, when I still carried lots of dog food home several times a week (before I started ordering it online), I could feel the strain in my wrists for days afterwards if I carried too much at once. That means that I need to avoid any high impact exercises, so lifting weights is obviously out of the question, and in the long run I'm pretty sure that cycling – as much as I used to enjoy whizzing through the countryside – wouldn't do my knees much good. But I'm not sure whether it is possible to build muscle without straining the joints, or whether that's a paradox?

In any case, whether I succeed or not, I still feel a lot more comfortable the way I am than when I was still smoking huge amounts, and living mainly on snacks so that I rarely felt hungry enough to eat any 'real' food. I was probably not quite underweight, but definitely near the lower end of 'normal', and I was wishing that I had a bit more flesh on my body – so I don't really mind my belly that much, but I do feel that it's time to move forward and work towards achieving a healthier lifestyle in the ideal weight range.

You are of course right about just hanging out on the sofa doing nothing except for staring holes into the air – I often feel the same when I spend extended times sitting in front of the computer, and afterwards I ask myself what I actually gained from it ... nothing! From December until a few days before my birthday last week I was feeling very depressed, and during that time I often thought how nice it would be to just be able to sit on the sofa, lean back and relax. It is something that I just can't do anymore, and along with those thoughts came cravings, and romanticising about the time when I was smoking and wasting all my time like that, while in my head ignoring all the negative aspects that came along with an addicted lifestyle. Instead I have now become aware that I do whatever I want to do, and what in the long run will provide me with achieving my aims, and that 'just chilling on the sofa' is simply not a part of that equation.

Keep it coming – it's really nice to read about your adventures and insights!
Julia Stretton
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 71

Postby Bagobones » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:02 am

Julia Stretton wrote:That sounds very familiar to me. Not that long ago, I was at least two clothes sizes smaller than now, but somehow I was still telling myself that my weight is in the 'normal' range, until I checked my BMI online yesterday, and I was pretty shocked to find out that I am classed as 'overweight' (by quite a fair amount), even though my waist-to-hip ration seems pretty normal.

hehe, well, I am kind of the same but different. My weight and the BMI calculators say I am normal, and at 183 cm weighing 77 kg now I am "normal" weight. But my belly looks like the Michelin-man if you know what i mean.. :) So the mirror is giving me my answers not the scale. I hate how I look around my waist. I am like a girl complaining. I would be really shy taking off my tee at the beach. My appetite is completely different now. I love food more now that I am not smoking.

Julia Stretton wrote:I hope that it's not because of some massive tar deposits in my lungs from 27 years of smoking

Go to the doctor and get your lungs checked Julia, please. I did that now in January. Mine was fine. But you have complained about short breath before too..

Julia Stretton wrote:But I would definitely like to lose weight, and not only shed some pounds by eating less and more healthily, but by actively doing some exercise so that I tone my body and build a bit of muscle.

Me too, I want a toned/trained body too. I manage to control my weight now, but i have a really hard time getting my a*s to the ashtanga yoga. That´s my favorite workout, and it makes both men and women have really toned nice bodies. I want that, andI like how the body of a healthy ashtanga yogi/yogini look.

Julia Stretton wrote:In the past (until I was about 30) I used to cycle a lot, which didn't only keep me fit during periods of excessive drinking and smoking, but which also helped me during recovery periods. The problem that I've now got is that I'm worried about arthritis, as it runs in the family and my father was diagnosed with it when he was only a few years older than I am now.

Before I say this, I recommend you consulting a doctor about this. If you google "arthritisis prevention training" cycling is on the recommended list for activities and training according the web pages dealing with that problem.

Julia Stretton wrote:That means that I need to avoid any high impact exercises, so lifting weights is obviously out of the question, and in the long run I'm pretty sure that cycling – as much as I used to enjoy whizzing through the countryside – wouldn't do my knees much good. But I'm not sure whether it is possible to build muscle without straining the joints, or whether that's a paradox?

I don't think its a paradox at all, and the 2 seconds google search i did made me think your having old research on the matter. copy and past from a prevention site:

Long gone are the days when health care providers told people with arthritis to “rest their joints.” In fact, physical activity can reduce pain and improve function, mobility, mood, and quality of life for most adults with many types of arthritis including osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, and lupus.

Anyways, I am not an expert and go to your doctor about this Julia. Smoking is a big no no, and both yoga and bike seems to be a big yes yes.. :D

Julia Stretton wrote:In any case, whether I succeed or not, I still feel a lot more comfortable the way I am than when I was still smoking huge amounts, and living mainly on snacks so that I rarely felt hungry enough to eat any 'real' food. I was probably not quite underweight, but definitely near the lower end of 'normal', and I was wishing that I had a bit more flesh on my body – so I don't really mind my belly that much, but I do feel that it's time to move forward and work towards achieving a healthier lifestyle in the ideal weight range.

My username says it all. In California they are big on the nicknames. Or at least in the parts of bay area I use to visit a lot. Bagobones was something they always called me there. Because I was just skin and bones. Its going to take me some time to readjust to my new weight. I don't like it yet. It makes me slow and sluggish.

Julia Stretton wrote:
You are of course right about just hanging out on the sofa doing nothing except for staring holes into the air – I often feel the same when I spend extended times sitting in front of the computer, and afterwards I ask myself what I actually gained from it ... nothing!

Yes, my new job is kind of a problem for me. I am working as a web developer now. So now i sit staring at a screen all day long. I think that's contributing to the problem for me. One of my really bad choices after quitting smoking now was changing jobs. I use to have a job where i was talking to a lot of people all the time. I am in the process of looking for a new job. Quitting smoking thought me that IT developing jobs (coding and front end graphics) is not for me. At home I am still sitting in front of my Mac too much. But first step is usually acknowledging the problem.

Julia Stretton wrote:From December until a few days before my birthday last week I was feeling very depressed, and during that time I often thought how nice it would be to just be able to sit on the sofa, lean back and relax. It is something that I just can't do anymore, and along with those thoughts came cravings, and romanticising about the time when I was smoking and wasting all my time like that, while in my head ignoring all the negative aspects that came along with an addicted lifestyle.

With arthritis in your family history smoking is really not an option for you. For me I am not tempted these days. I just lost interest in weed.

Julia Stretton wrote: and that 'just chilling on the sofa' is simply not a part of that equation.

Keep it coming – it's really nice to read about your adventures and insights!

Its more interesting things to do than chilling on the sofa. But I do like it a lot. he, he. Have to work on that. Mabey throw the sofa out, like the minimalist Japanese..

And thank you Julia, that is a nice thing of you to say. It's nice to read your updates too.
Bagobones

Postby Bagobones » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:30 pm

5 months 1 week

Still sober and a nonsmoker. While it´s really good to be over and have put this addiction behind me, it´s not a magic cure that takes away all my problems either. Its nice to not use so much money on it anymore. I still feel better and better. Meaning that I still am not 100%. I think its "accurate" to say that the dopamine, serotonin and those things in my head is still a little out of balance. I am no doctor so I can only say what I feel. Sometimes its a bit of having the blues, and other times its a little problem with concentration. And most of all its still having a hard time with motivation. And the little I have read about motivation is that its controlled by the dopamine in the head.

I don´t eat very healthy. Or I am not that bad, but its a lot of the same stuff every day. I take multivitamin, magnesium (lacking in the multivitamin), L-Tyrosine (got 6 pills of a dude at work, going to try them out), and omega-3. And i try to eat a little green every day. The reason I mention this is that I feel its working and a positive thing. I also drink green tea.

I don´t work out that much these days. But I did go running for 40 minutes today. I plan on continuing running a little. And I go climb indoors 2 times a week. I really like to use training as a way of socializing. I like the climbing and the people there. I also like the fighters i know, or the people from the yoga studio I go to sometimes. Its just so much better than meeting for a pint or a smokey sofa.. hehe.. I recommend training to all of you struggling with the initial detox bad times. I also try to meditate every day. I use the app head-space or calm. Both are good, but I kind of feel like taking it to the next level. Ashtanga yoga is meditation next level... :)

One very positive thing is that I have not slept so well since forever. And I dream so nice too. Its like my dreams are giving me really clear messages on what I should be doing. like recently i´ve had dreams about trying to going to the gym, but it always comes things in the way. Pretty obviously that i need to get my a*s to training more. :) Dreams like that almost every night.

Well that´s it for this time!

the 21/90 rule:

it takes 21 days to form a new habbit, it takes 90 days to create a new lifestyle...

Peace
Bagobones

Postby Wave » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:40 pm

Great progress!!! Read most of your posts and it is just what I wanted to hear. Keep it going!!
Wave
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 160

Postby Bagobones » Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:01 pm

Thank you Wave. Glad I could inspire you. And you too, keep it going.. :)
Bagobones

PreviousNext

Return to Addictions