People are so mean

Postby yongmailinuk » Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:47 am

One of my hobbies is winter swimming, and I thought people with some similarities are more likely to have similar value, however, after a few months, i find most people in the swimming pool are mean. they like to compete. Of course, that is not wrong, but it depends on the extent to which they concern about themselves and others. some of them even shouting when they taking a bath naked without respecting others' peaceful mood. some always talk about or laugh at those who are less athletic. If you are weaker, what you will do? cheers!
yongmailinuk

Likes Received: 0

Postby Petakash » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:43 pm

Its human nature to be competitive. We all want to "oneup" on someone, because we want to feel superior to them either way
Petakash

Likes Received: 1

Postby Roady » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:14 pm

yongmailinuk wrote: If you are weaker, what you will do? cheers!

What you will do, is just be yourself :D
Roady
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 28

Postby AlexD » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:03 pm

It seems to me that some of the people in that swimming pool are trying to proof something because they have complexes themselves. I would not take any of these behaviors seriously and if they bully you, they need some limits to be set on them. I had very similar issues for many years up to my 30th year. I had had a dream since childhood to become a martial artist so I could deal with the bullies at my school. But my family was into FINE arts, you see, and martial arts were simply unheard of, let alone my parents letting me pursue such a passion. At 30, I started taking regular lessons in my first martial art and I have been doing it like you will not believe for ten years now. I have switched martial arts a couple of times, and have earned a black belt in one, so this has helped me incredibly with my confidence in front of bullies and people who have always something to "prove". Have you noticed that, ironically, they always like to prove themselves in front of those they consider weaker? How come? I have learned that if you are truly secure in yourself, you don't have a need to prove anything. You treat others respectfully, help them if they ask you for help, and you ask for help respectfully when you need it. That's it. Try to ignore those people if you can. Don't let them ruin your experience. Is there a way to find someone who is an authority and is responsible for observing that everyone is respectful to everyone else? You can possibly change the swimming pool, but chances are you will encounter idiots everywhere you go, so you must at some point resolve to deal with them tactfully yet firmly. I hope this makes sense.
AlexD

Likes Received: 10

Postby TheCloud » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:56 am

Is there a reason you can't swim and be friendly and respectful?
TheCloud

Likes Received: 82

Postby cynthialeighton » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:03 am

And sometimes you need to let it go and move on, in this case to another swimming pool to start over.
cynthialeighton
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 33

Postby ScottMoore » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:01 am

You will always meet people like this. This is life and we live in a broken world. Your gonna have to be bigger than them and learn to find your joy without letting others like that steal it from you. You can do it, it just takes practice.
ScottMoore

Likes Received: 43

Postby Thefundamentals » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:36 pm

Who says they are laughing at you for being less athletic? Is it just a story you tell yourself or did someone actually say that they are laughing at people less athletic?

If you are "weaker", do not worry about it so much. Do what you like to do and have fun doing it. Do not let others bring you down. You are in control of how you feel. If you want to become more athletic and become stronger, then it will take going to the gym, exercising, and doing resistance training. Do things because you want to though, not because you have to prove anything to anyone.
Thefundamentals

Postby existingpeacefully » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:33 pm

Life is full of people who want to compete, remember to keep it in perspective.

Some people are showboats and are in it for the immediate glory.. more often then not these people fall off their high horses.

If you're introverted or less inclined to be competitve just focus on yourself and improving based on your own skills. Don't let the static noise of other people disrupt your flow, if you love something don't let anyone stop you from enjoying it.
existingpeacefully

Postby CaffeCosta » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:49 am

That's life.
CaffeCosta

Likes Received: 1