Withdrawl

Postby S.W.L » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:22 pm

Hi all, I'm 32 years old and been smoking pretty much solid since was 18. But now it's time to quit it has ruled my for so long now. I don't wanna go to deep into my past but I can tell you there's been a lot of tradidgies in my family from a young age. This is why I started using in the first place. I've tried in the past to stop but I can't handle all the bad thoughts the start flooding back to me. I've had no weed for a couple of days now and it's sending me crazy, can't sleep or eat much I'm sweeting a lot and being sick. Has anyone got some advise to help me curb the withdrawal? Thanks for listening x
S.W.L

Likes Received: 18

Postby Bagobones » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:45 am

Congratulation on quitting.

Its no easy pill to take. Work out hard, eat healthy and get busy. Don´t sit around feeling sorry for yourself and over analyzing every sensation in your mind and body.
Bagobones

Likes Received: 13

Postby S.W.L » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:20 am

Thank Bagibones. Wish I could bring myself to workout but just can't. I can't sleep,eat and keep being sick. I've been heavy used for a long time so I guess it's no wonder the way I feel. It just feel's like there is no light at the end of the tunnel.
S.W.L

Postby S.W.L » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:22 am

Day 3 and I'm sitting all alone in dark wishing I wasn't here anymore, my mind is racing the thoughts are so hard to handle. Does anyone have any ideas on what to do? I really need to kick this addiction as it's ruling my life.
S.W.L

Postby NoProblem » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:41 pm

Hey S.W.L.,

First off: great choice to quit smoking. It takes plenty of willpower and patience to quit, but it will be worth it long-term.

Having quit now for 9 months and gone through what I would consider severe withdrawals (comparing experiences on here), the best advice I can give to you and anyone just starting on this path is be patient and be VERY kind to your body and mind. As experiences have shown (mine included), you will/may go through the acute phase of withdrawals for about 5-15 days, depending on your mind, body, time of use and quantity of use. I'm assuming this is where you are now.

I can speak from my experience. During this phase, I had severe anxiety, adrenaline rushes, close to full-blown panic attacks, unexplainable fears, no appetite (nearly 3 days without eating), shakes, tremors, nausea, depression, hopelessness and no energy. This was met with night sweats, vivid dreams and horrible insomnia. I would sleep for 1-2 hours and wake for 6 hours with my heart and mind racing. During this time, I had no idea what was going on later learning that it was indeed withdrawals. I would spend every waking moment on this forum and another trying to find comfort in others experiences and hope to guide me through the hell I was enduring. My best advice for you would be to be as patient as you can be and when your body and brain are re-correcting, do as little as possible if you can. Drink plenty of water and if you have an appetite, try to eat healthier meals filled with protein and good fats. As time goes on, I would try to incorporate some light exercise into your daily routine, but hold off on this until your acute withdrawals have passed. Exercise has helped me greatly during this quest.

Depending on how your next month or so goes, you may experience Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome or PAWS. This will come in waves and may last 1-2 years. It will consist of some of the symptoms you experienced during the acute phase, typically depression, anxiety, derealization, and some others, but at a lesser extent. At 9 months, most of my symptoms have disappeared, although I have developed a minor form of Panic Disorder which I am currently seeing a therapist for. Some anxiety still lingers.

Just know that you WILL get through this.

Cheers.
NoProblem

Likes Received: 4

Postby S.W.L » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:57 am

Hey No Problem.

Thank you for sharing your information with me. What you have described is exactly what I'm going through.

Being a heavy user for many years I can only expect the worst and understand it's gonna be a long hard battle, I'm also coming off the alcohol as I think it's gonna turn into another problem so it's not just one problem with me.

I'm spending hours on this forum looking at other peoples stories which has helped so much, just knowing your not on your own makes you feel a lot better. The system has failed me so many times in the so this is a really big help to me.

Thanks a lot and I will keep posted.
S.W.L

Postby netty28661 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:58 am

Hi swl,

Having just read no problems post, it completely mirrors my quit 4 & a half years ago.

I know exactly how you feel at this point, it's hell. I found the acute withdrawal lasted about 3 weeks, at that point I was then able to get out walking, I built that up then decided to join a gym & started doing weights, cardio & swimming. Eat well, drink alot of water, take some good supplements. It took me a good year to feel anything like normal, at this point I started to meditate, which helps me as well.

Like no problem I spent hours on this forum, getting as much info as I could but also providing support to others, it really helps.

It took me 1 year to feel like I was starting to improve, then the following year saw most improvement.

I would never go back now & it's the best thing I've done.

Good luck
Jannette
netty28661
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 47

Postby NoProblem » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:09 pm

No worries man. I've been there and to a degree, still am there, so I definitely know what you're experiencing right now.

I have a few suggestions from what I've learned, but take them as you please. First off, most medical professionals will dismiss "marijuana withdrawals" as being a thing. The only person that agreed with me was my therapist. If they do agree, they may say it only lasts 4-6 weeks and then nothing should occur, but PAWS may creep in and this is a very real thing. On that note, if you do go see a doctor, they may prescribe you a form of benzodiazepine (Xanax, Valium, Klonopin, etc.) to help you with your symptoms. While they are great at what they do, they are very dangerous, even in the short term (2 weeks; see benzobuddies . o r g). I had some valium prescribed but only took 3 pills over the course of 9 months, when I felt my symptoms were unbearable. The decision is always yours, but keep this in mind.

I virtually cut out alcohol and have only recently started having it in small doses (one glass per month). Early on, it would make me extremely anxious and panicky. This is likely due to the hypersensitive nervous system state that your body will be in for the next little (or long) while. That's why I suggest taking it easy and letting things calm down internally before you dive bomb back into the life you had, only this time, marijuana free.

Overall, what is happening to your body and your mind is a major readjustment. For years, you were giving it something to cope against stresses with. In a way, your body and mind have lost the natural way of coping due to its reliance on the drug. Without getting too 'sciencey,' your brain is overstimulated with receptors and needs plenty of time (or a short amount of time, varies by person) to readjust and go back to baseline. This is withdrawals.

Here are some things that helped: Multi-vitamins or Vitamin B Complex, Fish Oils, Green Tea (or L-Theanine), Rhodiola Rosea (although this one was weird, it made me anxious at times, and calmed me down at times), and 5-HTP. The key helped here is time. Be as patient as possible.

I'll be around. Keep us updated and know you're not alone!

Cheers.
NoProblem

Likes Received: 4

Postby S.W.L » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:05 pm

Hey all. Thank you so much for your advice and support it helping cope better.

Day 4. I woke up at 6:30 for an hour or so but then went back to sleep until 1:00 which is rare for me, however when I woke I was soaking wet with sweat and had to dive in shower.

Still feeling very anxious,scared and panicky tho, I have them 5 HTP but not sure if there working at this point.

Will keep all posted x
S.W.L

Postby awmm301116 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:06 pm

Hey S.W.L.

You've done really well making it through the first few days. It's going to be a long road, but you've made the first steps, and every journey begins like that.

I have found labelling thoughts and feelings very helpful during my 5 weeks of withdrawal. Thinking; Pleasant/Unpleasant; Name of Feeling. Then return to your breath. You don't do it with every thought and feeling, only when you're caught up in them. I hope this helps with your anxiety etc.

Stick in there, it'll be so worth it.
awmm301116

Likes Received: 6

Postby S.W.L » Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:22 pm

Hey awmm.

Thanks for support. The thoughts are really tough as there has been a lot happening in my life hence the reason I smoked to num the pain, I've never really lived in the real world as I've always blocked evertything out by using drugs.

The hardest part is going to be facing the real world for once in my life, it's gonna be tough but I'm sure in will do it!

Thanks for all support guys.
S.W.L

Postby S.W.L » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:43 am

Hey all.

Well it's day 5 now and I can honestly say it's complete torture! Last night I hardly spoke to my fiancé and this morning I told her I don't want her to touch me. I find this very strange as I love her dearly and always always will, my emotions are all over the place I can't settle or anything, I hope this doesn't go on to much longer because it's a complete mess.

Willl keep you posted guys.
S.W.L

Postby S.W.L » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:42 pm

Hey all.

Well I can honestly this is awful still hardly spoke to my fiancé and can't understand this is happening when we were so close. I just hoping it starts to get easier soon.

Anyone who's ever got problems and too ashamed to get help, dont be because self medicating ruins your life even more.
S.W.L

Postby netty28661 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:53 am

Hi swl,
For me what you're going through is normal. I couldn't speak to my partner for a few weeks. I felt like I'd put up a wall, I couldn't even talk to him about how awful I felt.

You need to explain what you are going through though. Most people do not understand withdrawal, I certainly didn't. If she knows how hard it is she will understand & ultimately in the end you will be a much much better person for quitting weed.

Good luck
Jannette
netty28661
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 47

Postby S.W.L » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:08 pm

Hey netty.

Thanks for reply. I'm absolutely petrified about it she thinks I don't love her anymore, I've told her it's just with the withdrawl but now she's starting to get mad at me.

I don't feel like I'm living in a bubble now so something is happening, I've started eating a little more and having mass gainers as I'm so so thin.

Will keep you's posted thanks again.
S.W.L

Next