Friendship Difficulties

Postby Ali Baby » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:58 pm

I'm hoping that you lovely people can give me some advice on handling a delicate situation. We have a trip planned, to visit friends in Latvia, and are planning a road trip with them for 5 days, travelling to different cities, into Lithuania and back. At first, we thought it would be a day trip to Lithuania but my friends want to give us a better tour than they gave us last time, hence the decision to turn it into a road trip. The people going are, my partner and I, my parents and my partner's best friend, I'll call him George. He and I are also good friends. This is where my problem lies.

George has mental health issues. Sometime I feel like he plays on them a bit. I do my best to give him support but he throws it in my face at times, and refuses to help himself, by seeking professional support and advice. I gave George plenty of notice about when I would be booking flights etc, and a rough estimate of the cost. He told me it was OK to go ahead and book them. I booked the flights last Sunday, and my parents paid for all of them at once, on the understanding that we would pay them back. When I told George, he all of a sudden didn't have the money for the flight, saying he thought he would have 6 months to save up. My parents told him he could pay them back in instalments if it helped. He didn't take them up on it, nor did he offer up any money. Then he told me he was dreading going on this trip, because he doesn't feel safe unless he's at home. I tried to keep him calm and help him work through his anxiety, but he just had a go at me and pushed me away.

My parents need their money back, and if he won't pay up, it means I'm going to need to pay back his flight as well as my own, totalling nearly £600, which I really can't afford.

What do I do next? I know if I contact him, he will go off on one again, claiming that he doesn't have the money and can't deal with the stress. I'm torn between being concerned for him and being angry with him, because although I care a lot about him, I'm also angry that he gave me the go ahead to book his flight, only to then tell me he doesn't have the money for it. I can't cancel the flight, I tried. All I can do is change the name, but there is no guarantee that I could find someone to take the flight.

I'm sorry for the long post. Do any of you lovely people have any ideas of what I can do?
Ali Baby

Likes Received: 21

Postby Ali Baby » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:26 pm

Update, I've managed to get him to agree to start paying in instalments next week x
Ali Baby

Likes Received: 21

Postby Livetowin » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:57 pm

It's good that he is paying based on his word. If your word is no good, then I don't see the value in much anything else. That is where integrity comes from and you don't play with other people's money if you have no intention of paying it back. That's called stealing. No other way of looking at it.
Livetowin
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 20