wanting to quit weed after too many years

Postby kaye » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:23 am

I have been reading posts on this site for months . I have smoked weed for more years then i want to say.
It had been an on again off again thing in high school,then college, early 20s. I am now a 55 year old woman , who in most areas of my life is pretty happy. The weed has become a problem . It has been a pretty steady thing for the last 10 years. Not much of a drinker so weed is my go to .
I have a responsible job, my own home . My two kids are young adults , who are getting their lives started . Need my support still but they don't live near me.
Recently moved and live alone , which is the perfect situation for someone addicted.
It is my reward at the end of the day and then I am in for the night . Smoking , watching Netflicks , isolating myself.
I force myself to go to the gym and out for walks but there is a lot of time to fill. I have let some friends go because I didn't want to go out. Weed has become my friend .... not good
Weekends can start with coffee and weed , then the whole day or weekend is gone. Stoned again watching Netflicks
As i write this I sound so pathetic . It has taken over my life, in all areas, health, social ( i isolate myself and look forward to getting home alone to smoke weed) , relationships, financial .
I don't think i can cut back so it will need to be cold turkey. I quit smoking cigarettes years ago so think I'm addicted to the act of the smoking of the joint but know i will have withdrawal symptoms for sure . Especially being edging and not sleeping....
I think i need to plan to take a week off work to deal with the withdrawal symptoms.
Feels good writing this down... Need to develop a plan to quit ..... addictions are exhausting and time consuming... Thanks for listening...
kaye

Likes Received: 3

Postby Quinnster » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi Kaye,
I hope you make the decision to quit. Weed does isolate. I was doing it too even with a family around. I had withdrawal, but only major for a few days. Then it got better with every week going by. I'm at 4 weeks now. I can't speak for everyone, but maybe start it on a Friday and see if you can go to work by Monday. I looked forward to the distraction of work. Keep yourself busy and realize sleeping is hard in the beginning. At 4 weeks, I already feel like a different person. Way more outgoing, attitude is better, anxiety and depression is nearly gone. Make the decision. You will be so glad you did.
Quinnster

Likes Received: 19

Postby tokeless » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:56 pm

Hi there. I've been exactly where you are and you can be where I am now... free of weed and glad to say so as never thought I would.
The battles are in your mind so get support to get you through the first week... that's the initial withdrawals and expect vivid dreams and some night sweats. For me that was the extent of it but for some it drags on.. I believe if you get your head right it's easier. You show good awareness of how weed has affected you and use that to motivate you in times of weakness. Think of the positives and deal with the negatives... what are they again? It's all positive... if not then keep smoking because you would still think of it as a positive. Do your children know you smoke? If so tell them your plan and they can support you during that first week. There's also tons of support here.. you can do this. I did, many others too. Why are you different?
Best wishes
tokeless

Likes Received: 214

Postby Gitana » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:13 pm

Hi Kaye - thanks for sharing your situation here.

Totally relate to what you are describing - that has been quite precisely me for the past decade and a half.. Reading you makes me realize the hole i m getting myself out of - yes, just like Quinnster, i finally made the decision 4 weeks ago - indeed my attitude to life is way better already.

You sound like you are ready to do the move, i d encourage you for sure.
As for "developping a plan to quit": this is pretty much what i ve been planning to do for the past 4-5 years ("i finish this stash and buy no more.." or "what if i smoke less joints per day? or put less and less in the joint (i mix with sage or tobacco)? or smoke only after midnight? or only every other day? or weekends only?"etc etc..) - for me nothing worked at all!

Cold turkey is the way of choice but you know what? It was not even hard, just unpleasant.

First, i needed my mind to be ready (tired/disgusted of the habit), i think that is where you are at.
Then i focused on the outcome and accepted the consequences (no sleep, weird mood, body adaptation) - i d spend my night awake but resting anyway, so it really wasnt any difficult - i got some 25mg Diphenhydramine (generic benadryl) but i did not really worked on me)
The herb was there on my coffee table but i had no desire to go that road any day - i finally made it disappear from my sight last week as it has no function in my life any longer.

A couple of days after i quit, it would become my new normal, with fantastic long (very long since no sleep) days fully clear-minded: got back into drawing, exercising daily, cooking, reading, and yes, communicating (here, and also with family and friends). I m not very very social but it s because i ve always been enjoying loneness - but whenever i socialize, i dont feel like it s a drag, nor to do i dream to rush back home to get high and by myself, so i m much more "normal".
But the main gain for me is to slowly getting my brain back and sharp, that is priceless!

What quality (grade) do you get and how much do you use?
That is key in foreseeing what awaits you should you make the move.
Gitana

Likes Received: 35

Postby naturegirl » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:32 am

I would love to know how you're doing. You sound like a copy of me.
naturegirl

Likes Received: 43