What is your definition of 'meaningful'?

Postby meaningfull » Wed May 17, 2017 7:54 pm

Just a simple question - I'm curious about what people think about this.

What is your personal definition of 'meaningful', or 'meaning' if you prefer?

Have a great day, everyone!
meaningfull

Likes Received: 0

Postby quietvoice » Wed May 17, 2017 9:48 pm

Do you mean(!) to ask 'What is meaningful to you?" instead of defining the word "meaningful"?
quietvoice

Likes Received: 166

Postby HumanB » Wed May 17, 2017 10:15 pm

adjective: meaningful

1.having meaning.
"meaningful elements in a language"
synonyms: significant, relevant, important, consequential, material, telling, pithy, weighty, valid, worthwhile, purposeful
"a meaningful remark"
antonyms: inconsequential

2.serious, important, or worthwhile.
"the new structure would bring meaningful savings"
synonyms: sincere, deep, serious, in earnest, significant, important
"a meaningful relationship"

3.communicating something that is not directly expressed.
"meaningful glances and repressed passion"
synonyms: expressive, eloquent, pointed, significant, meaning; deep, pregnant, speaking, telltale, revealing, suggestive
"a meaningful glance"

Meaningful:: stuff that matters
Matters in what context?
In the context of the total anhiliaton of all (?) life when the sun dies, NOTHING really matters does it? In the context of my happiness for today, it mattered to me that someone who I like very much expressed a desire to want to be close to me..... so, I could say that was/is very meaningful to me (as one of my goals while I breath is to experience happiness)
HumanB

Likes Received: 4

Postby meaningfull » Wed May 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Quietvoice - Actually, no, haha. I will eventually get to that. But for now, I'm interested in how people define the word. It's tricky.
meaningfull

Postby quietvoice » Wed May 17, 2017 11:13 pm

meaningfull wrote:Quietvoice - Actually, no, haha. I will eventually get to that. But for now, I'm interested in how people define the word. It's tricky.

It's tricky because words only have meaning in/within a context of the communication.

Dictionaries list common meanings; same words have different meanings in different contexts.
quietvoice

Postby meaningfull » Thu May 18, 2017 8:13 am

Good points, HumanB. I like your definition - stuff that matters. Yes, the context will play a role to some extent, but generally what you find meaningful (the activities you do and things that happen) does not change the personal definition you've created for yourself and your own life.

Quietvoice, you also have a good point. Words do have different definitions based on context. But I challenge you to use your own context. Imagine that someone asked you this question and you werent allowed to ask about the specific context.
meaningfull

Postby quietvoice » Thu May 18, 2017 11:16 am

meaningfull wrote: Imagine that someone asked you this question and you werent allowed to ask about the specific context.

I don't have to imagine that. It's happening right now. My answer remains the same.
quietvoice

Postby Livetowin » Fri May 19, 2017 1:49 pm

My definition of "meaningful" is something that holds merit.
Livetowin
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 37

Postby meaningfull » Tue May 23, 2017 1:08 pm

Thank you, quietvoice! I really appreciate the input. In my next post, maybe you can share with us what's meaningful to you. And maybe you can tell us the things that are meaningful to you throughout the days and weeks in different contexts.

Livetowin, thank you, too! "something that holds merit." Perhaps in other words, 'meaningful' is something that is good or worthy of praise. This is an interesting definition you give because one of the main components of meaning in life is serving the greater good or society. Usually things that are worthy of praise are things that directly or indirectly serve the greater good, or at least another cause outside of ourselves - in my experience.
meaningfull