Is it PAWS? Waking up every 3 - 5 hours

Postby DaWickerMan777 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Seeking input on this one. I have mostly been having a good month. About 4 months into my quit. Not alot of symptoms and falling asleep has not been an issue. What I'm struggling with is staying asleep. My body wakes up randomly every 3 to 5 hours every night. It's annoying more than anything and I dismiss it as PAWS. But I'm wondering if any long term quitters had disrupted sleep. I also get hypnic jerks. Right before falling asleep I have the sensation of falling off of a building and "jolting" awake.
DaWickerMan777

Likes Received: 20

Postby Soberchic » Sat May 20, 2017 11:23 pm

Totally here you i can stay asleep finally..i know exactly what your talking about those jolts or jerks that you feel like your falling..so weird that i remember those feelings.. Right now im having tired spells and back aches again..im on another fb support group page and the people are trying to help me..but i really think for long term chronic smokers the paws is so much worse than people that havent smoked daily for that long.. Im thinking of going back to the doctor to get more tests just incase..im aboit to ask for an MRI
Soberchic

Likes Received: 43

Postby DaWickerMan777 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:26 pm

Aww I'm sorry to hear about the back aches. Sounds awful! Docs still don't have a clue?

Yeah sleep is a struggle again. Well, just the staying asleep part. I was taking magnesium before bed, I think I'll try stopping that now...

Yeah those jolts are called hypnic jerks, apparently they are totally normal though... good news at least...

PAWS SUCKS!
DaWickerMan777

Postby Soberchic » Wed May 24, 2017 2:42 am

So i found out what my weird symptoms might be..gluten dairy and sugar intolerance..im cutting out everything and hopefullycull feel better..jeez
Soberchic

Postby cleanofgreen » Wed May 24, 2017 9:45 am

Hey Soberchic,
Sorry to hear your having some weird symptoms, at least you found the problem. It's funny how you fix one addiction and It leads to you finding other things that need changing in your life.
cleanofgreen

Likes Received: 72

Postby DaWickerMan777 » Wed May 24, 2017 3:25 pm

Hey Soberchic, great that you have found a cause. Did a general practitioner tell you or did you go to another kind of doctor?
DaWickerMan777

Postby Soberchic » Wed May 24, 2017 5:46 pm

Hey thanks...i went to my regular doctor but i have been going there for same symptoms about every 2 months for 9 months.. I honestly think weed covered up some of my my food intolerance..when i quit 3 yrs ago i had the same type of gas..so i went to the doc monday and wrote down all the symptoms and she said it definelty sounds like food intolerance. The other doc is 300$ so ill just try to take things out of my diet..
Soberchic

Postby GratefulOne » Sat May 27, 2017 8:30 pm

Hey Bro, I'm having the same problem as you. I've smoked daily for over 15 Years (32 now). Some nights I can get 5 hours in a row and some nights I wake up every 3 hours. Today marks the 3 month mark exactly for me.

When you smoke, your body creates 3000x more melatonin. So my theory is, the body is still relearning to sleep on much less melatonin.

I almost ran back to smoking at the 1 month mark because I looked and felt like I haven't slept in months, it was friggin' brutal dude.

One thing I would suggest is going to a bodybuilding/supplement store and getting a GOOD probiotic. I got a probiotic that has 50 billion cultures per pill and it has actually helped me. How it works is, the gut is responsible for making 90% of serotonin in the body, at night time serotonin is converted to melatonin to help you sleep.

I actually made a huge post introducing myself and explaining what I've been doing, supplement wise and sleep wise to overcome this stuff because I feel like i've been through a war, sleep wise. But at the end of writing the essay I hit the back button on my mouse by accident and lost everything.

I'm really thankful for all the great people here though, I've been reading this forum for the past 3 months, because like you, I could fall asleep noooooo problem at all, but staying asleep was a pain in the backside.

Maybe one day i'll get back to re-writing that essay but for now, I'm glad to help anyone and super thankful for all you great people. It's so refreshing to come to a place where I could relate to everyone and where it doesn't seem like there's a bunch of people talking about how harmless weed is. I think daily weed usage can lead to massive changes in the brain. Anyhow, good luck and all the best !
GratefulOne

Likes Received: 2

Postby DaWickerMan777 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi GratefulOne:

First of all, thank you for your post. It's always comforting meeting someone who is going through the same thing.

I was wondering where you read that statistic about weed creating 3000x more melatonin in your brain. Not that I'm doubting; I actually 100% believe it. When I was smoking, I slept like a baby but could hardly remember my dreams. I just remember black. But getting 7 to 12 hours of sleep? Not an issue at all.

I will look into that probiotic. I am going through a bit of a frustrating time currently, as sleeping 2 - 5 hours a night has left me feeling like crap most of the time. Weed is absolutely not harmless!

I would love to read your essay. Sucks about accidently deleting it, but I hope you will continue posting on your progress here.

Thank you again for the reply.

God bless!
DaWickerMan777

Postby Requimfordream » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:46 pm

Hey DaWickerMan777
I'm with you in all this, I will also go to look for that probiotic at this point 5 month in I don't mind try anything to get a good sleep, I haven't had a good night sleep since I quick, the longest I probably had sleep interrupted is 5 hours and it has happens only a couple of times... Its ridiculous...
Requimfordream

Likes Received: 0

Postby Swim75 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:32 pm

The jerks and lack of sleep is completely normal.its definetely paws...ur body wants to sleep but ur brain is in shock and wont shut down.
I was getting about 3 to 5 hrs a night for 7 months..didnt sleep first 3 days at all into my quit.dont watch tv or look at phone for at least half hr before u want to sleep.it stops ur brain producing melatonin.its hard 4me cos i work nights and it sunny when i finish shift! Your body will eventually succumb to sleep and u will catch up eventually
Swim75

Likes Received: 7