Hearing voices - what are they?

Postby sunflower15 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:46 pm

I think I may have posted way back in the past somewhere about this, but here I am reflecting again - what are the voices and why do they occur or where do they come from?

On top of that when a voice, which I have heard, occurs, it does not sound like my voice at all and its difficult to think that I could have imagined it.

Some people have interacted with their voices by talking, either in their head or out loud with them. I am reluctant to say if I have here because it may be triggering - but if anyone does feel able to share safely about an experience of this I'd be interested to know if it was helpful or not.

I don't know much about the ego - haven't read much - but could voices be some kind of defence mechanism?
sunflower15

Likes Received: 3

Postby Grey_Vegan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:23 am

This fascinates me, can you tell me more details? Like what have the voices sad to you? Male or female? Any shouting? Any mumbiling, rambling, or whispering?

Do you get the inpreaaion theu are speaking to you? Or so you just hear them speaking?

My fathers voice used to speak to me in my head, then a variation of my own voice would always talk to me about "us" and what "we" needed to do. He is still arround though i can generally turn him on and off at will nowadays, he has a name which i wont say. But honestly, he is the one who bitches at me when i nearly get myself killed, he's quite likely the only reason im alive, and he never tells me to do anything stupid.
Grey_Vegan

Likes Received: 0

Postby Grey_Vegan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:25 am

Youre female arent you?
Grey_Vegan

Postby Candid » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:34 am

Sunflower, my understanding is that if the voices say horrible things about you or tell you to commit horrible acts, you have schizophrenia.

If the voices feel more like friends, and keep you going through each day, it could be a normal adaptation to acute loneliness.
Candid
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 240

Postby Grey_Vegan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:37 am

Yep I'm number 2, he tells me to take care of my issues.

And so what the hell are your voices saying?
Grey_Vegan

Postby sunflower15 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:16 pm

Grey_Vegan - I don't feel comfortable sharing any further details of what voice(s) have said.
sunflower15

Postby sunflower15 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:21 pm

Candid wrote:Sunflower, my understanding is that if the voices say horrible things about you or tell you to commit horrible acts, you have schizophrenia.

If the voices feel more like friends, and keep you going through each day, it could be a normal adaptation to acute loneliness.

hi Candid, thanks for your post - the loneliness explanation seems so obvious now you've said it.

I'm very skeptical now though of psychiatric diagnoses generally though because they just seem to be used to justify the use of drugs, although distressing voices plainly do occur so perhaps they need a name. I wonder, could voices that say horrible things about you or tell you to commit horrible acts be some kind of self-destructive suicidal ideation being expressed third party so to speak, because there's some denial happening?
sunflower15

Postby Candid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:31 am

sunflower15 wrote:I wonder, could voices that say horrible things about you or tell you to commit horrible acts be some kind of self-destructive suicidal ideation being expressed third party so to speak, because there's some denial happening?

That makes sense to me.

I have a schizophrenic friend and I've never really understood why he talks about 'the voices' as if they're real. To me it's simple: if you're hearing speech and no one else is present, it comes from your own mind.
Candid
MVP
MVP

Postby sunflower15 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:21 am

Thanks Candid.

I too have found it hard to accept that the voice(s) could be from my own mind because they seem so alien to me. But I have some recollection now of a traumatic event, which I attempted to get corroboration for by checking the identify of someone and was horrified to find out that most likely it was true.

I am still trying to understand what triggers the voice(s) in day to day life because this experience has hampered my judgment / ability to cope with daily stresses. I guess a way forward could be to dialogue with the voice, but think I would need to do this with therapeutic support.
sunflower15

Postby Candid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:24 am

I recommend writing the dialogue out. If you're losing your grip, the written evidence could be helpful.
Candid
MVP
MVP

Postby Grey_Vegan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:58 pm

Candid wrote:I recommend writing the dialogue out. If you're losing your grip, the written evidence could be helpful.

Im not looking i promise, but you can always pm just incase. :P
Grey_Vegan