It's time to stop smoking weed..

Postby Inky » Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:54 pm

In all honesty it's been time for a long time, I have smoked on and off for the last twenty years or so, more on that off if I am being honest. Never massive amounts and over the last sevenish years it's been a nighttime thing, I teach and unwinding after work is impossible, constantly thinking about work, I have been finishing my work for the evening and then smoking and zoning out in front of the TV but I need to stop. I suffer from anxiety and I know it makes it worse. I get so angry when I have an anxiety attack because I know it's my fault. I have stopped smoking out with friends and hate the fact that I still smoke at night. It is time to stop. I found this forum and I know I need some support, hoping I will find it here. My smoking friends don't understand and most of my non smoking friends don't know. I know I won't be judged here and reading some of your posts have inspired me already. I'm only on day two and have a long road ahead but I need to do this and now.
Inky

Likes Received: 1

Postby tokeless » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:35 pm

Hi and welcome. There are a million stories and each is different but In ways shared. I can only offer my experience but for me it's a choice to smoke at the end of the day. If you don't smoke you won't die and the world won't end. You have to manage the symptoms of not smoking and this can be hard but for me less so. Maybe I got lucky but others may have stuff going on underneath their smoking that came to the fore when they stopped, hence harder to manage. Hang with the non smokers but also accept not smoking will make you feel different.. that's obvious so accept the difference even if hard because you've got to ride that train my friend and the destination is worth it. If you can't do it ask yourself why? If course you can. Just keep choosing not to. Good luck is not needed, good choices is.
Best wishes
P.s I was everyday for 35yrs... all day and night when I could.
tokeless

Likes Received: 180

Postby gsaint28 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:45 pm

Inky,

First off, I support and respect your decision to stop smoking weed. Not on the basis that smoking weed is wrong or right, but on the basis that it is what you believe is best for you. I am here to support you.

To give you an idea of my background, I smoked weed for about 6 years, for various reasons. I tried quitting many times, over 50 times at least. I was really stuck and scared that I would never be able to let it go. Then, earlier this year, I took a personal transformation course that brought awareness to the blind spots that kept me from completely letting go of weed.
Since then, it's been over 5 months off weed (only smoking once, back in month 2, and was quickly back on track the next day). I feel great and no longer struggle with cravings and thoughts of smoking. Smoking weed is just simply not an option for me. It truly is a shift in identity.

I have a several questions for you, just to get an idea of your experience in being off weed.

(1) Have you ever tried quitting before?

(2) What's the longest span of time you've gone without smoking weed?

(3) On a scale of 1-10, how confident are you that you are done with weed and will not indulge in any cravings or temptations to smoke going forward?

1 = not at all confident, almost certain that I will smoke tomorrow
5 = I'm scared that the cravings and withdrawals will be too strong eventually, and I'll give in
10 = no matter what, I am done with weed - period

All the best to you. You got this.

p.s. as tokeless said, it is indeed about choices and their consequences.
gsaint28

Likes Received: 42

Postby mrprankies » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:12 pm

It can't be a coincidence that so many teachers are on these forums. The stress of the job *requires* some way to turn off EVERYTHING at the end of the day. Few professions follow you home in the same way as being a public school teacher, and few people can relate to or fully understand the stresses of the job.

Smoking after work seems like one of those few little luxuries that allow you a brief escape. Unfortunately, the fog follows you through to the next morning and leaves a lingering sense of dread/anxiety over every part of the job. All of the questions a teacher must ask themselves at the start of the day suddenly become a little more urgent: did I prepare enough for today? Will the lesson be engaging? Can I really stay on my game from bell to bell? What if something goes wrong? There is just an endless spiral of anxious questions to ask yourself--all exacerbated by smoking the night before.

We are fortunate to have the summer to try and establish new patterns of behavior. Most recommend a healthy dose of physical activity, especially those first couple of weeks where you may feel anxious and restless without your escapist crutch. I personally recommend Melatonin for the insomnia, but others have mixed feelings on that so do your own research.

Best of luck to you--it sounds like you know deep down what you need to do in order to save your sanity. The job is hard enough without the albatross of addiction weighing you down.
mrprankies

Likes Received: 10

Postby no_weed_mind_freed » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:00 am

Day two for me also. We are going to do it!!!!! Congratulations on your decision.
no_weed_mind_freed

Likes Received: 2

Postby Whoppa1 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:05 am

Hi inky in The same boat as you been a toker for over 20 years stopped cold turkey about 9 days ago just separated from partner due too what the weed has done to me and the person it turned me into the person I never wanted to be I've always sufferd from deppression and anxiety self medicating with weed just made things worse stay strong bro
Whoppa1

Likes Received: 2

Postby Wave » Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:13 pm

Welcome, here is a great place of support and I have been here on and off since 2013 I believe.

Quitting cannabis is an extremely long process but now I can see the huge benefits of not being a stoner. Your appearance, lack of motivation and also potentially having your career taken away from you are just a few reasons not to use.

I have failed many times, and I use these failures to remind myself it is 100% not worth it. For example, last time I smoked I was high for a couple of hours and my sleep and mood didn't normalise for 12-14 days, pretty insane trade off. I am not saying this is the case for everyone, but it is for me.

Really think about the reasons you want to do this and remember the really tough times as they really help me from not smoking weed again.
Wave
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 161

Return to Addictions