Self suspecting avoidant personality disorder

Postby fishover » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:34 pm

Hi, this is my first time posting to these kind of forum. I'm 19 and have been taking a long break just a brink away to graduate med school.

A lil bit of background, I was in an acceleration program so I was 11 when I entered middle school and 13 when I entered high school.

I have a really destructive habit from middle through high school that is developed due to bullying from my class mates mostly and maybe inferiority complex I've had towards my older sis. These habits include not socializing with new people (as I tend to stick with my old couple of friends from elementary, and so on), locking myself up, declining rate of self care, and tendency to shy away from problems I'm having. I have some degree of social anxiety whether it's on social media or in real life.

I can't talk with anyone, even with my family, or friend if I even have one that cares. I can't open up about my problem and I becoming a habitual liar and lashed out on my own mother because we have different values on things..

I found my old middle school psychology test does say that I have below average verbal skills and emotional stability. I don't know if it does classifies as an avoidant personality disorder, but I know something is wrong with me.

I'm not sure of contacting psychiatrist as I'm afraid to tell my parents (and how they would just tell me to pray more to god; I don't think that would help as I realized my basic self care has slowly regressed since I entered high school and be more
avoidant at people) and I don't think I have enough personal funds to do so anyway. I don't want this problem to deteriorating into things like Major Depression Disorder.

I need advice.. Thanks for your time.
fishover

Likes Received: 0

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:08 am

fishover wrote: I'm 19 and have been taking a long break just a brink away to graduate med school. A lil bit of background, I was in an acceleration program so I was 11 when I entered middle school and 13 when I entered high school.

So you are on track to set a new world record? The current record is 21 years old to graduate med school. He is estimated to have an IQ of 200 and he took no long breaks.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sho_Yano
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Likes Received: 914

Postby fishover » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:36 am

No, it's just my pre clinic year, I still need two more years of co assistance/clinical years to be a general practitioner.

Sorry if my wording was not specific enough
fishover

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:57 pm

Only 2 more years. That puts you at 21 as well. Are you sure you won’t be younger than Sho Yano when you graduate med school?

Certainly all of the top medical schools wanted you to attend their school. Which ones did you consider? Did you decide against Harvard and Johns Hopkins for some reason?
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby TheCloud » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:14 am

Is there anyone in your life toward whom you might be unfairly critical, such as a friend or family member? It would be a good start to open up toward that person, who you've somewhat wronged and therefore can make things right with.
TheCloud

Likes Received: 82

Postby fishover » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:18 pm

I don't know how to reply directly so

First for @ Richard, it's not that impressive really. First off I'm not from America / Europe do the education system might be significantly different

@ the cloud, I don't know if I'm being critical, but it might me towards my mother. I'm extremely defensive and I don't think I could talk to her about my problem without getting into a fight. Though I said that, I'll keep your advice in mind, thank you
fishover

Postby Richard@DecisionSkills » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:24 pm

fishover wrote: First for @ Richard, it's not that impressive really. First off I'm not from America / Europe do the education system might be significantly different

I didn’t say you were from America/Europe. I asked why you did not get accepted at Harvard or Johns Hopkins? Obviously they, or one of the other top medical schools in the world would have gladly accepted you into their medical program on a full scholarship.

No matter what country you are from, with your academic success, you would have opportunities to attend any of a number of elite medical schools. Are you saying, given your academic success, you did not even consider attending an elite medical school? Why?
Richard@DecisionSkills
MVP
MVP

Postby TheCloud » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:12 pm

fishover wrote:@ the cloud, I don't know if I'm being critical, but it might me towards my mother. I'm extremely defensive and I don't think I could talk to her about my problem without getting into a fight. Though I said that, I'll keep your advice in mind, thank you

What reason do you have to be defensive toward your mother?
TheCloud

Likes Received: 82