Soap bar "hash"

Postby Weedheid » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:01 pm

Hey folks, I'm looking for input on something I'm worried about at the moment. There's a lot of helpful, experienced people here and also more from the UK than other places online so I thought it would be a good place to ask.

I began smoking at 14 (~2006), probably once a fortnight, and for the first couple of years it was usually hash, colloquially known as solid or - soap bar! If you don't know about it, here's some information from a UK cannabis activist site (google "soap bar hash"):

SOAPBAR (it's called "soap" because a 250g bar is shaped like a bar of soap) is perhaps the most common type of hash in the UK and it is often the most polluted.

Now, not all soap is bad of course, but some certainly is. At worst there may only be a tiny amount of low grade hash mixed with some very strange stuff:

Beeswax, turpentine, milk powder, ketamine, boot polish, henna, pine resin, aspirin, animal turds, ground coffee, barbiturates, glues and dyes plus carcinogenic solvents such as Toluene and Benzene

It was all we could get in Scotland back when I started. I remember getting the typical headaches from smoking too much and sometimes a draw would make me wretch. I wonder what was really making us feel high (more heady and drowsy than real weed). It wasn't often the lowest grade stuff that Goldie Lookin Chain sang of but it was pretty far from what weed should be, as I realised when I started smoking grass.

This could just be in my head because I'm worried right now but I often think there's something different or off about myself and the mates I started smoking with. Like we're somehow stunted. I certainly feel quite "slow". I was wondering if anyone else started out smoking dodgy weed and if they recognise what I'm talking about. Did you turn out fine? Am I just overreacting?

My fear is that I have poisoned myself from the contaminants, something akin to lead exposure. I realise that is extreme but I'm pretty paranoid about it. As crazy as it sounds, I wish I could get an MRI to find out the damage I have caused from starting weed at an early age (not a daily habit until 18/19), and all the other drugs I've done, is mainly psychological and not structural.
Weedheid

Likes Received: 0

Postby Furtive » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:17 am

Nah, you're worrying about silly things.

Firstly, why would someone bother to contaminate hash with something unusually harmful?
If they're gonna make the weight up with something, they'd use something cheap and easily available.
The main contaminant I recognise from all the poor quality hash I smoked was .... cumin.
Put some cumin seed in a frying pan and heat it until it smokes - familiar smell?
Not harmful, you can use it in food.

Secondly, I thought I was seriously messed up by weed and I was vaping only organic homegrown for the last 5 years.
It's THC that causes the problems - and that takes about 3-6months to clear up.

Yes there are harmful compounds in smoke whatever it comes from, the worst is Hydrogen Cyanide.
Formaldehyde isn't good for you either.
But the damage from those compounds is quick to effect and wear off, like, only a few hours.

Consider how weed makes you feel. Now think how it's going to make you feel when you quit.
No mystery.
Just get on with other things and get through 3 months, then you'll feel better.
Furtive
Preferred Member

Likes Received: 170

Postby tokes » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:55 pm

We've all been there.
I felt like I had a brain tumour or something. The debilitating symptoms really does make you think it's this grandeur illness that only effects like 1% of the population but you somehow had it. I thought I'd contracted Lyme Disease or something but after about 20 trips to the doctors there was f all.

It's not that you've "damaged" your brain it's just you've molded it around this THC/CBD dopamine/serotonin reward cycle and once the input has gone (weed) the whole system crashes and you feel like a windows 95 computer.

The brain will go back to normal with quitting, excercise and eating well. I found that when I started going to the gym and pumping those weights the testerone seemed to speed up the recovery process. There is no illusive poison in your hash...trust me.

Good luck with it.
tokes

Likes Received: 14

Postby Weedheid » Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:25 am

Thanks for the replies! Just to let you know I've been weed free since April last year and completely relate to the issues you refer to that arise after quitting. However, in this case, I'm more wanting to find out if the onset of my issues with anxiety and depression, that started a couple of years after I began smoking, could have had anything to do with soap bar by finding out if anyone else has similar experiences.

To elaborate, I started to get panic attacks and had emotional outbursts at people around that time. Also, I had perfect secondary school grades in all subjects bar one and then after smoking hash became one of our pastimes I ended up dropping one of my final year subjects (the one I was best at originally) and only getting As in two of the four I did sit. My memory of those years is poor but I remember a couple of teachers commenting on how my personality had changed. Was that just down to puberty making me hormonal, the increased difficulty of school subjects, and procrastination/distractions caused by typical teenage temptations?

Most of my friends who did the same have gone on to have trouble with depression at some stage and I can't help but feel we stunted our development now we're adults based on what we've done with our lives and how we act compared to our peers. That, along with headaches and the weird high it gave us, concerns me the most. However, that could just be confirmation bias on my part as I really regret ever starting and I'm constantly trying to find reasons for my poor mental health. I really need to talk to my friends from that time now to see if they noticed a difference in me or themselves but they'll probably think I'm stupid/crazy for worrying about it and I don't want things to be awkward.

@Furtive

Video from an old documentary about soap bar, ~3 minutes:

https :// youtu.be / ug98TKkWKy0

It would make sense for them to contaminate it to bulk out the product and make more money from the original, imported hash. They might also add cheap substances to increase the addictiveness and high such as glue or other solvents. If this is intrusive please ignore, what was the bad quality hash you smoked like? Are you from the UK and did you start at a similar age to me?

@tokes

I definitely experienced the same after quitting standard bud recently after so many years. True about the exercise, I need to make more of an effort on that front.
Weedheid

Likes Received: 0

Return to Addictions