Did I do the right thing?

Postby mmacc2011 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:26 pm

Hi,

I recently changed fitness clubs to one closer to a new job, and on my "to-do" list as it were is to make friends while I am there. I'm conscious a lot of people come into the gym to get their routine done and get out, and while I do, I feel its fair to say hello and be open towards people who might want to be friendly.

Another guy I've seen regularly, is usually in the same times roughly as I am during the week. I massively admire his body, it's a body I could only dream of, and is a visual aim of where I want to go in the next year or more. I feel like I almost had a crush on this guy, as he is such an accurate vision of what I wanted to achieve of myself. I feel that perhaps I was idolizing him as being "perfect", perfect looks, always seemed happy, and was always on his own (on his phone), but looking happy. At the moment I've got various stresses, moving to a new flat, renovations, so 50% of my life seems to be spent in a grumpy or tired state.

I decided today to go upto him, not to confess a crush to him, but just to say hi. I caught him as I was leaving the gym and he was taking a break between exercises, and we just got chatting. I said hi, and said I had seen him doing some crazy lifts a few days ago in the gym, and said it was amazing - it genuinely was amazing to watch the strength. We chatted for maybe 2-3 minutes, we got chatting about him moving to England from abroad, and work, and jobs. Surprisingly, both of us are in similar roles. He asked me my name and job, and whether I enjoy it in return, and I replied back.I said that he had the same running shoes as me, and we quickly laughed about it. I also said I hoped he didn't mind me saying hi as I was just looking to make friends out of going to the gym as well. It's probably a simple conversation, and then I said I'll let him get back to his session, and he said bye, and said he would see me next time.

I'm worried, because I saw the whole thing through this idolizing him view, that I screwed up the conversation. I should stress, that he is not someone that I would want to be with, anymore than a friendship. I'm not sure if he wants me to say hi again, and whether he was just replying because I caught him off guard. He was pretty smiley, didn't realise seem nervous, so I think perhaps it went well. Or maybe he just never thought about it after we went separate ways.

What do you think? Did I make a good attempt at opening a friendship or simply scare him and make him think I'm weird?

Thanks.
mmacc2011

Likes Received: 1

Postby HumanB » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:08 am

It sounded fine. You did a good job. Even if he picked up that you might have a mini-crush on him then it's up to him how he handles that. No point in agonizing over it.
HumanB

Likes Received: 11

Postby mmacc2011 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:06 am

Thanks for the advice. Not seen him since, and I suspect he flew back home for Xmas, he said this wasn't his home country. As we had a good chat a few days ago, assuming he is back in January after xmas, do you think he will still remember me from a breif 3 minute chat? Or would it be forgotten, and I'd have to say hi all over again?
mmacc2011

Likes Received: 1

Return to Relationships