Home

CDs & DVDs

Free Articles

Training

Self Help

Newsletter

Blog

Forum
Psychology forum home -> Public Speaking -> how to make voice louder and clearer This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

how to make voice louder and clearer

Connect with Uncommon Knowledge

Public Speaking Resources

Public Speaking Tips (article)

Public Speaking Fear Hypnosis Download

Discussion Forums

Psychology

Depression

Anxiety and Panic Attacks

Anger Management

Addictions

Eating Disorders

Public Speaking

Workplace Psychology

Self Esteem and Confidence

Relationships

Hypnosis

Practitioners' Lounge

Emotional Intelligence

Light Lounge

Bookmark and Share

Author Thread
sunset_horizone

Post Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:44 am

how to make voice louder and clearer    Reply with quote  

hi.. does anybody know how to increase the volume and clarity of my voice...like through voice vocalizations? can anyone help me with this? or any other techniques that you might know?

cause when i do presentations, usually the comment is that i have soft voice..and i think soft voice affects the effectiveness and credibility of the presentation, especially if i feel strong about the topic..but because of my voice and airy voice (my voice is throaty), the presentation seems weak....

does anyone have any suggestions on how to make voice louder and clear?

thanks so much in advance.

JAKJRF

Post Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:12 pm

I am not my voice, my voice is my tool to speak.    Reply with quote  

Hi sunset_horizone.

Let me briefly discuss the significance of your question then give a few suggestions towards making your voice louder and clearer.

There are several studies of interest that highlight the importance of voicing. In one such study, conducted at UCLA, Dr. Albert Mehrabian found that when verbal, vocal and visual signals are inconsistent, content counts for a mere seven percent of the overall message. In such a situation, 55 percent of the message is transmitted by facial expression and body language; and 38 percent comes from voice quality, pitch, tone, volume, and inflection. He also found that when talking on the phone, the actual words you use account for only 16 percent of the way you and your message are perceived. The remaining 84 percent of your impression depends on the sound of your voice and the feelings people get when listening to you. There are several of these types of studies that have verified Dr. Mehrabian's work.

As for general agreement on the importance of voice, check out this link; Many wish they had a different voice. It says that "the eyes might be the mirror to the soul, but what your voice sounds like is apt to make a first impression--good or bad. A survey conducted by Harris Interactive on behalf of the Cepacol line of sore throat-soothing products found that 21% of adults feel a person's voice is as important as his or her looks, while 17% maintain that an individual's voice indicates how educated he or she is. Moreover, 16% of people wish they could alter their voice in some way". So we see that our voice is our very important tool.

My first suggestion is to find and read a book like; Speak to Influence, by Susan Berkley [the first chapter is available; on-line]. Like all books, it has a few critics, but my belief it is a good place to start; it has helped many. And for sure, we are after what others have done to improve the voice, so turning to a good voice coach or speech-language pathologist is the goal.

I suggest reading how others have found their public voice. In doing so you have opportunity to separate your voice [the self evaluations of your voice] from the task of speaking. For example, this simple article; How I found my voice, (techniques of speaking articulately in public)(The Perfect Man - Esquire) tells how one man found that animating his voice created a voice that the crowd liked. A highlight of the story comes after the author's first success; "the referee, Joe Cortez, came over and put a kind hand on my shoulder. 'You did really good,' he said. 'I was there on Michael Buffer's first night, must've been fourteen years ago, but I'll never forget. He introduced me as Joe Ortiz. Now look at him.' Cortez whistled admiration through his teeth. 'Don't kid yourself, though--he worked at it.'" In context, this evokes an encouragement, that they those around us, will mainly remember how good we are today. Most will forget our start. In other words, when we learn to speak loud and clear we will be remembered by the fact we speak loud and clear.

Here's a link; Making your speech memorable, (preparing effective speeches) (Leadership - CWI). This lengthy article offers much of the same advice given in this forum. As for voicing, it suggests you "animate your voice. Altering the intensity and level of your voice not only keeps the audience interested but also provides them with audio cues to your important points. And take note of the different voices you use during a typical day, and incorporate that variety into your public speaking. For example, you probably sound very different when running a board meeting, making a presentation to a potential client, relaxing at home with your children, and conversing with your spouse. Vary your pacing and your pitch, inserting into your formal speeches the same 'peaks and valleys' you use in everyday conversation". The point is, that we can use our voice as a tool. I again suggest a degree of separation from our voice; I am not my voice, my voice is my tool to speak. Practice.

There are many other links of interest. You can find the subject covered for actors, leaders and even the transgendered; they all give clues on how to master the voice [how to take control]. Read how some practice speaking by walking along the beach and very loudly speaking while others place pebbles in their mouth and speak for clarity. There is a good practice of speaking while holding a mirror; such that you only see your mouth. Your visual system will more quickly help you change the movements of your mouth so that the words are clearer. Practice.

To test progress, some suggest leaving yourself phone messages. Your voice will sound different than you expect, but listen for its clarity and crispness. Practice.

Hope this has helped.
JakieB

Post Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:10 am

Maybe your nervous, maybe you have a soar throat or it's just that you can't speak loud. If your nervous I can't help you, I don't think it is because you have a soar throat well then it leads to you don't have a voice to speak loud. I found that singing helps increse your voice louder unless your with a huge crowd in choir that you can't hear yourself. I'm not helping much am I?
kunithemoonie

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:27 am

yea    Reply with quote  

yea i have the exact same problem
my problem comes from me being japanese
and the japanese alphabet having all sounds like consonant then vowel
so u can basically mumble japanese and they'll understand u
its good to talk loud when talking to ppl
yea when u talk to the same ppl everyday, they tend to know about what ur gunna say or are already used to the way u talk.. reason for is i met up with my friend and he had to have me speak louder
Ingridave2

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:43 am

A Day With My Relatives    Reply with quote  

Sunset: Try spending a day in a room with all of my relatives. Everybody talks at the same time and the voices become louder and more boisterous. I had to learn to tone my voice down. At first I thought it was the air in our part of the world...

but finally I had to admit that we are just loud people who all want to be heard at the same time Laughing

A singing instructor or a public speaking group like Toastmasters may be able to help.
Michael Lank

Post Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:10 am

We increase the volume of our voice by pushing more air out.

Things that can help include:

Stand as if you are going to throw a ball overarm, one foot in front of the other, and as you throw the imaginary ball towards a distant target, look at the target that you are throwing at, just as you would with a ball and throw your voice with it. Practice this over and over.

Also practice making a 'ha' sound and with each sound snap in your abdominal muscles, so that the sound is forced out- do this making the sound louder and louder. Practice it with different sounds. This will get you used to expelling more air as you speak.

A friend of mine who is a trainer always speaks to the person at the back of the room to ensure that he is heard.

You might also like to seek a voice coach to assist.

I have just bought, but not yet received the book 'Presenting Yourself' by Michael Gelb, on a reccomendation.

There are times when using a soft voice can be very effective; if you speak loudly then speak more quietly people will often listen harder to hear what you are saying - like when someone whispers to you!
rengarajan

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:21 pm

Hi friend,
There is no need to make your voice louder. You just want to be assertive in what your going to say based on the situation. That will do everything for you Razz

Regards,------------------------------------------------Renga.K
Takidt

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:40 am

Yeah, I have that same problem too. So I thought I'll take a big step, I didn't know how I did it really. But, everyone actually heard me.
I guess you have to feel more confidence and don't be too nervous as it could affect your voice. You also have to have the motivation of wanting to speak louder. I took a deep breath, stood quite straight (lol) and just said it out, I guess my mouth was a bit more wider. Once you started with a loud voice, you should be able to keep it in that volume throughout the presentation because your confidence slightly increases. Well for me it is... lol.
You could practice before with your relatives.
Jonthan S

Post Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:04 am

Sunset,

For you to better understand what you need to do, you need to understand your personal voice dynamics.

Is your voice hypo nasal, hyper nasal, or normal? Is your tonal range normally high due to your body size? Have you notice how some low sounds carry better than high one.

When you talk, visualize in you mind where you feel like your voice is coming from. Is it originating above your mouth, at your mouth below your mouth? I know this is a bit of abstract thinking. This visualization will help you to make the needed changes so that you can start to get it from your diaphragm.

Just as you raise and lower your voice if you’re singing, try practicing in your talking voice only lowering the tone.

Once you have learned to lower the tonal quality of your voice, then try putting more air behind it.

Elongating the pronunciation of words can also enhance this effect. It will require talking a bit slower as well.

One last short term option. See if you can get a mic. Learn to use it to control your voice.

Best wishes,

Jonathan
catmagoo

Post Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:10 pm

how    Reply with quote  

hey im 13 as you might know

my dream is to become a singer
as my hobby is singing
i want to know when i sing i sound the same as im talking
how could i make my voice sound sofeter and diffent
i no good at nothing so i chose to chande my dreamm of coming
a hairdresser into a singer
i want to go on brintans got talent Embarassed
i dont think i have the gus or the voice
if anyone know how i can change my voice please help meee
Mr.DgRaYmAn13

Post Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:58 am

Hi everyone    Reply with quote  

Hi everyone.thanks for the tips that you gave.Now I must just apply it so that I can have a louder and clearer voice during my recitations.thanxs a lot. ^_^ Very Happy

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.

Jump to: