My Weed Break-up Diary....the why and how

Postby asgoodasitgets » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:44 pm

Milestone Achieved - 2 Weeks Clean from Weed, longest break in 4 years....

@ Sightblack - Thanks, man. Your friendship and support has absolutely been instrumental in my quit. Early on, before I even registered, your posts inspired and strengthened me! :) I assure you, my friend, you are now in the snowball phase of your quit where the days will roll by faster and faster and abstaining, even when it is accessible and readily available, will become significantly easier. Not to say its easy, but after a while you simply won't care that much. Regardless, you are kicking butt and taking names and I am very appreciative for our online "bromance." :)

I've said this before, but I will say it again: I feel great! Less than 3 weeks ago I would have told you that I am never going to quit weed. It is a thought that was simply too difficult for me to process. But something changed and honestly, I really can't put my finger on exactly what happened. It doesn't even matter, one of the core tenants of my quit philosophy is no looking back or beating myself up for the past. It is what it is and it made me who I am. I have no regrets for the past, I had a lot of fun smoking weed and staying blazed. At the same time, I see how it held me back on multiple levels as I am too compulsive to have a healthy relationship with herb. This has nothing to do with weed. Weed never forced me to smoke it. I made the decision to buy it, grow it, and pack it in my bowl and light it.

I've had to be sensitive in terms of how I've let my friends know my feelings, because the last thing I want to do is hurt them or make them feel like my quitting is a judgment call against weed or them. It really isn't, it's a judgment call on my own personal relationship with that beautiful plant. Regardless, it has really touched my heart to see some of the understanding and empathetic responses I've gotten from certain people. The friends I have that I used to smoke a lot with our awesome people, and I believe we were brought together by more than just weed, so I definitely plan on keeping them. I know I have to take accountability for my past and actions, so I won't go blaming sh** all on weed. Plus, I live in a legal state (Pacific NW) where weed is everywhere. I know I can't change the environment, but simply my reaction to the environment. The change has to come from the inside out.

I am not sure if any of this makes sense...kinda delirious right now LOL :)

All the best to all of you. You got this! :) -Alex
asgoodasitgets

Likes Received: 98

Postby Sightblack » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 am

I donno what happened to me exactly that made me want to quit Alex, but same as you... it is as if a switch flipped and I no longer desire to be buzzed, either because I know the imminent feelings of guilt that will ensure directly after or because I just don't want to be propped up with substance abuse. Either way, I no longer have that little part of my brain saying I want to get high I want to get high I want to get high... because I don't want to be high anymore. I don't want to spend another dime on it, I don't want to feel out of control of my life.

Being sober is the best thing for us, its just taken us until recently to realize it. I still have about a half ounce of wax in my fridge... its been there this whole time... but I don't even think about it. I will probably end up giving it to my mom at some point when she stops asking me for it. lol

17 days for me today and my wife told me I should go ahead and buy that guitar. I said NO WAY! I'm earning that sucker! I'm just waiting for the 27th of this month to roll around! Stoked for my reward.
Sightblack

Likes Received: 29

Postby JaaackMD » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:38 pm

reckoning wrote:Hey JackD,

Yes I have the same experience about anxiety increasing. What I am doing is sitting with this more. I am reading and listening to stuff about how to manage anxiety-some of the tips are good. So much free stuff available on this too. I've found many tips which I relate to. They actually seem to work when not stoned. I used to try doing all this anxiety reducing stuff when still using and wondered why I didn't get the result I was after.

The other big thing I have decided to do , in this quit , is a lot more reframing of what I am doing. Thus I am reframing the whole use of the term QUIT. Rather I am starting to see quitting the way of getting "My Freedom Pass". I want to get to get to new ground in my life. The giving up smoking is like yep I've purchased the ticket to some unknown destination. I'm on the plane now and I reckon I have a fear of flying and fear of unknown destinations which brings on more of the anxiety. Going to ride that through and get myself to a new destination where I can live how I have always longed to live, weed free. I don't know what that will look like but everyone on this site has inspired me to go to this land of freedom, you just have to get through that jungle of anxiety and it will happen and it has happened for many here.

I have suffered a lot from anxiety in my life from PTSD chronic childhood weird sh** stuff so I have learned, still learning, to not fear it but rather move towards it . It's a bit like opal mining, I just keep digging because I know there is rich vein of colour to be found. I have to go deep down into that mine where there is no light and air sometimes and I have to shovel a lot of crap out in order to be able to find what I am looking for. The thing I know is that each time I look towards weed as the way out of my anxiety it actually get worse eventually and makes each quit harder. Also if I go down that mine on weed I'm likely to miss the glimpses of the glorious veins of colour right before me. I know there is an opal out there for me and I am determined to find it.

I do stuff like mediation and I get on this site everyday. It kind of makes me feel more normal about the anxiety stuff when I hear that so many of us giving up have it too and it does get worse before it gets better.

cheers Opal miner

Nice to others are in the same boat, I thought at first I was loosing the plot
I’ve been to a therapist and they’ve offered me cbt and think I’m gonna give the meditation a go no harm in trying I’ve heard really good things about it but you just have to practice it and keep at it.

Cheers opal miner stay strong
Thank you
JaaackMD

Likes Received: 3

Postby asgoodasitgets » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:19 am

Day 16 - An Emotional Struggle

Today I am struggling. Not with weed, just with life in general. I don't feel any urges to smoke weed @ this point. In fact, I detest the thought of it as I have given it so much time, money, and sacrifice already. That said, I'm definitely "triggered" today for lack of a better term. It is obviously this God-awful, fake, excuse-for-a-holiday known as Valentines Day. I imagine it is great when you have a partner or someone in your life you love, but every single V-Day I have suffered has been terrible.

Nothing like a "holiday" to make you feel even shittier and lonelier than you already feel. I much rather be alone than in bad company, but historically I tend to romanticize bad relationships and practice selective memory. I told myself today than I would have smoked weed normally, but that just isn't self-destructive enough for me...that's how bad I feel. Of course, I didn't, because I know this stupid donkey day will pass and I won't have to deal with it again for a year. Plus, no matter how poorly I feel I remember the first 1-3 days quitting and nothing is worth going through that again.

Looking forward to tomorrow. Sorry, I have nothing positive to say today...I feel drained. -Alex
asgoodasitgets

Postby asgoodasitgets » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:44 pm

Day 18 Begin...

I gotta say, it's nice to have V-Day behind me....this has historically been a trigger for me in oh so many ways. In my entire adult life, I've had one (1) Valentines Day to look back on where I felt happy and fulfilled in a relationship. Aside from that, the rest have been terrible. I prepared myself in advance for any lies or deception I might use to persuade myself to get high as **** but they never came. I'm just not feeling like getting stoned anymore. I guess it's the fact that I've been so real with myself in terms of my unhealthy relationship with MJ.

It has been hard readjusting to a new life. My whole identity, for the most part, has been built around weed. I would vape before I did this, smoke after I did that. Anything I was doing, I was doing with my best friend, weed. I have had a constant supply of flower and concentrates for years, enough to make Snoop Dogg envious. Now, I feel like a kid again as I explore the world around me without my security blanket weaved of cannabis. It is both refreshing and scary, exciting and frightening all at the same time. Without you guys, I would think that I was alone in terms of being addicted to weed. With cannabis reform, decriminalization, and outright legalization sweeping my country and pretty much the world, we often hear that the drug is benign and harmless. I have to say that I remain a proponent of legalization, I am not a fan of throwing otherwise law-abiding citizens into jail for drug use. That said, for quite some time I felt stupid for even thinking I might have a problem with weed. I guess if you compare it to heroin, yes, the average user is definitely more highly functional. Still, the grip MJ has had on my own life was a slow and deceiving one, almost like the metaphor of the lobster who doesn't realize the water in the pot he is in is heating up slowly.

I am so, so thankful to have made it this far. It is so odd to think that less than 3 short weeks ago, I had a completely different outlook on life. I thought I had it all figured out, there was no problem I couldn't solve as long as I could get stoned while doing so. Ironically, I was to the point where I never got "stoned" because I had smoked so much my tolerance was shot to hell. That is actually kind of what started all of this, I was planning on taking a T-break so that I could get really stoned again and clear out my receptors, but like my first "break" years ago I quickly realized what a hold this chemical had on me and quickly got pissed off enough to quit.

Guys, thank you so much for being so real and transparent in your posts, insights, and opinions. I am so empowered by the camaraderie and hope I encounter here. Special thanks to @ Sightblack who has become an awesome friend and supporter in my recovery and to everybody else here who has posted....too many names to list.

I was never a casual smoker, people, this was my life. If I can do it, so can you. I have nothing bad to say about weed and I will never badmouth people who smoke. If you are here, it is because you believe that your relationship with this plant has soured. Good news is you don't have to do anything....just abstain if that is your desire. Three weeks ago I was in hell, today life is more manageable and I am starting to take steps to change things that seemed insurmountable when I was looking @ the world through a haze. It's not easy, but I will take a challenging life with a seed of hope over a challenging life with no hope any day.

Blessings and love to all of you! -Alex @ Day 18
asgoodasitgets

Postby Recovery1395 » Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:15 am

Asgoodasitgets,

I can identify with you as far as Valentine’s Day goes. My relationships in life have been few and far between and perhaps weed has been a replacement “Girlfriend” for me. I’m an introvert and have been alone most of my life. Fortunately, I’ve got a supportive family or I’d have no one.

You’re almost at 3 weeks, that’s a great achievement. Keep up the good work and keep posting!
Recovery1395

Likes Received: 32

Postby asgoodasitgets » Sun Feb 18, 2018 4:33 am

I am feeling so-so. Quitting anything you've done for 15 years is hard, even if that is something as simple as forgetting to put the toilet seat back down. In the last few days I've had challenges with my patience, temper, and depression, but I remain absolutely committed to my personal goal of saying goodbye to the herb, forever. I have to remind myself that nothing majestic, significant, or life-changing happens overnight. This is an act of deferred gratification and patience. That said, it is also an act that has the potential to be life-changing, and that is what I'm banking on. I say this because I truly believe I had reached a breaking point in my old life, it just was not working on any level.

This is a short post for me this evening, I just wanted to send love to the community and thank you for keeping me motivated when I feel low. I'm doing this for myself, but I am super-super thankful to each and every one of you with whom I have spoken or whose words I have read. Thank you and blessings. We GOT THIS!
asgoodasitgets

Postby reckoning » Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:21 pm

Hi Alex,

Can I say I love the quotes that you put on the end of your posts. And you change them too! It looks like to me that you really show how to be a good friend to self. Your commitment and input into this site is very inspiring and such a great act of friendship to yourself.

I so agree that giving up weed , is a big experience in getting skilled around deferred gratification.

I'm working on changing my language around how I describe what I am doing. Moving away from using the Q word- the quit word is so loaded for me in off again and on again and 'the struggle'. Now I'm thinking all the time of getting my ticket to freedom. My Freedom Pass has 48 days invested in it now.

Keep up the friendship with yourself and us out here too. You are a good friend.
reckoning

Likes Received: 56

Postby asgoodasitgets » Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:10 am

On the Eve of 3 Weeks...Holy ISH!

@Reckoning - I appreciate you noticing that I change my quotes. We have to stay motivated, right? Seriously, this quitting weed thing is no joke and poses a serious challenge, at least for an enthusiast such as myself. Language can definitely be powerful, so I support and understand your reasons for wanting to change your lexicon. I was actually thinking to myself today wouldn't it be amazing if I could just re-program my brain to not desire marijuana? I mean, if that desire did not exist, there would be no suffering in abstinence, right?

Today I gave a random acquaintance a very generous gift of marijuana wax/shatter. It happened like this: I went to the market where he works (local; middle-of-nowhere town) and he asks how I'm doing. I could tell from past interactions with him that he enjoys his cannabis, so I tell him I'm so-so, I've quit weed and its hard. He responds with the typical, oh no, why would you do that? I give him a curt explanation, not going into detail and being careful as to not insult him as he is a smoker. I told him my personal reasons and then asked him if he was in need. He responded that he would enjoy anything I could throw @ him and I tell him I'll swing by later. Well, when I got home I took the remainder of my extracts, a beautiful portion mind you, and took it straight to him. He was blown away at the gift. I mean, you should have seen his eyes. Like I've said plenty of times before, I'm pro-weed, just not for my life anymore. This guy is someone who I happen to know only smokes occasionally, and he handles his life/responsibilities in a manner that lets me know he has his priorities straight. It felt pretty good to help him out BUT it was extremely hard, for a split-second, to let go of the bag. We locked eyes for a moment and I could swear to you that he felt every ounce of hurt, pain, regret....everything that I was going through...just in a blink of an eye and then it was over.

In retrospect, I was happy to help him out but in that split-second exchange I was actually kind of mad/sad, for lack of a better emotional description. Not sure if I was mad @ myself for not being able to be moderate or for all the time I've wasted in my life. Was I mad at him for being something that I can't be, a moderate and responsible consumer of cannabis? In no way did I project any of this onto him, it was just something that happened internally, he was happy as a pig in feces as they say.

Tomorrow I am celebrating 3 solid weeks clean of marijuana. This is unprecedented for me, something that less than a month ago I could not have even imagined or fathomed. I can't count the number of times I've had to log-on to this site and others, often in the middle of the night, to help keep my head on straight. I am absolutely determined to bury this habit and confine it to my past. I yearn for redemption, grace, and forgiveness for myself for all the time, money, wasted emotion, and selfishness. I sincerely appreciate each and every one of you reading this and those of you who have posted to make this forum such a supportive and helpful place. Keep on fighting the good fight people! :) All the best.

Now I, like my cell phone, need a recharge. I will see you tomorrow for my 3 week celebratory post :)
asgoodasitgets

Postby asgoodasitgets » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:59 am

3 Weeks Today...

This is unprecedented for me, three weeks without, no plans of looking back or returning. Marijuana and I had our good times, but it's over. I am looking forward to a new existence free of the chains of my addiction, chains that I forged myself.

It seems like yesterday that I found this forum and summoned the strength to challenge this Goliath. And with your help, I plan on delivering a deadly blow to the monster's head. I am scared, but confident. I know I will prevail.

Off to relax and plan for the future, thanks and love to all of you! -Alex

NEXT STOP: 1 month clean
asgoodasitgets

Postby asgoodasitgets » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:09 am

23 days so far...

Withdrawal is like a roller coaster, so many ups and down. That said, I am starting to experience more climbs than falls :)

Just checking in with the group to say that 23 days ago I never imagined I could do this. Time is really starting to fly for me now, once I passed 20 days it seems. The physical urges are subsiding and I feel that my mind/emotions have more power over the cravings. I am proud to have given up this part of my life and am excited to continue the path to personal redemption.

I discussed in another thread how this very much so reminds me of building a house. I have a new plan/vision for my life and have started building, but I know that I am nowhere near complete with this project. As an addict, I will be complete with this project only when I'm dead, because I am and always will be susceptible to returning to the lifestyle. But, I do feel like with your help and insights I have been able to lay a pretty solid foundation. I went from being a 24x7 smoker/dabber/user to a clear-headed, more emotionally available individual.

This is absolutely rewarding, I know that this is something I have to earn myself, nobody can hand it to me. That's what makes it so amazing. Thank you all so much for sharing your hope, vulnerabilities, inspiration, and motivation. All the best, talk soon! :) -Alex
asgoodasitgets

Postby asgoodasitgets » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:39 am

@ 25 Days Clear

I feel like I am normalizing finally. I know that my body is still "detoxing," but I feel that the pendulum is swaying away from the initial withdrawal and back towards homeostasis.

One of the greatest things about not smoking weed is the return of confidence. It's hard to explain. It's not the type of confidence that you have when you ask someone for a date. It's more of a not being stuck in your head confidence. For example, not over-thinking every stupid little thing . Not caring what people think or being stuck worrying that they know you are high. Not worrying about getting pulled over with weed, being able to speed a little bit in my car knowing a cop can ticket me but not throw me in prison...things like that. Social interactions with everyone have gotten much more manageable, I had smoked myself to the point where every single interaction with another human was painful, unless it was with one of my fellow stoners.

I feel more connected to my fellow humans. For the past years, I've been living exclusively for myself. Everything in my life has revolved around me and my desire to get high. Seriously, I wouldn't do something if it got in the way of my busy weed-smoking schedule. This included family, career, and personal relationships. Today, since I have nothing in particular that I am rushing home for, I find myself much more connected. I stop to listen to the stories of others, interact and joke with cashiers at stores, and interact confidently with those who cross my path. My sense of empathy has increased tenfold and I feel not only that I care for the world, but I'm finally part of it again.

I've allowed my habit to rob me of good jobs that I was over-qualified for. I say this because often I simply won't apply to higher level careers, often just because they drug test. I know that there are ways around this, but I honestly hate lying or misrepresenting myself. Additionally, you can't substitute on a hair/blood/saliva test like you can with urine. I am really looking forward to moving on to a career I want a deserve. I know that I perform optimally when I am grounded in reality, far removed from inebriation.

I've been working hard to "forgive" myself and work on some of my issues from the inside out. I've spent lots of time pondering why I am so susceptible to my addiction. I feel like if I can address some of the deeper issues, I will be better armed to stay the course and find long-term success.

Not much else to say tonight, I wish you all the best! Monday will be a full month for me, can't wait.

-Alex
asgoodasitgets

Postby asgoodasitgets » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:56 pm

One (1) Full Month of Clarity (and counting...)

It's surreal to be typing this and thinking it, but just a month ago I was sitting here, vape pen in hand, browsing the internet when I came across this site. I'm not even sure what I typed to find you guys, but I am so happy I did. Today I am celebrating four (4) full weeks of clarity, hope, and struggle. I had been toying with the idea of quitting, but I just could not fathom the idea as it seemed out of reach. Regardless, I found strength and hope here being surrounded by others who understand my struggle. We all know that for some, marijuana is harmless. I have friends who can smoke once-in-a-while and then walk away. For others, once we start we can't stop. I unfortunately, fall into that category. For me, weed wasn't a hobby, it was a lifestyle. Today, I do truly hope and pray to never, ever, ever return to my old self. Here is a list of some of the positive benefits I have experienced since I put down the herb:

- confidence - overthinking things way less, make decisions easier, look people straight in the eye, not worried if people are wondering if I'm stoned.

- breathing - I have barely coughed since I quit, I feel that my lungs and respiratory system are beginning to heal, I had smoked myself almost to the point where I expected COPD or lung disease whereas now I am hoping and praying that my body will forgive me and heal itself.

- empathy - this is a big one for me...I'm feeling connected to people and the world. I feel as though I am now interacting with my world instead of observing it. I feel much less selfish and I am finding that I do genuinely care for others, even strangers, with a deeper understanding and love.

- legal worries - my biggest fear in my old life was that I would get arrested for being "high" while driving. I must note that I never drove if I truly felt inebriated. That said, whether or not I felt safe to drive was not the issue...I could have still been arrested and legally screwed if a cop took the time to do bloodwork or another type of test on me...even if I had smoked hours earlier. I've known people who got DUI's for weed and it is an expensive, humiliating, and very unpleasant experience. Now that I am absolutely sober, I am thankful this never happened and can't believe the unnecessary risks I took just so I could feel normal, I hadn't felt "high" for years...my tolerance was ridiculous.

- self-esteem - I've always had issues with this. Quitting smoking has not magically fixed my self-esteem, but I know it has put me in a much better place to address some of the underlying issues. Being able to look at myself and actually make a change has definitely given me some extra confidence, which in turn has given me a fraction of love for myself.

- hope - my outlook a month ago was bleak, in all reality, it still is. But I feel more equipped and ready to deal with the future. Whatever comes down my pipeline, I've promised myself to deal with it head on. I can't say I have it all figured out, because my life is still a gigantic mess, but I have hope in my life for the first time in years.

The others benefits are endless, I could write pages and pages. This has not been easy, but it is definitely worth it. Days are now flying by and abstaining gets easier and easier. The pendulum is shifting each and every day from "despair" to "hope" and it feels amazing. That said, I am being careful not to romanticize my relationship with weed now that things are getting easier. I have documented my entire process with purpose, so I can go back and read what the few first weeks were like. I know that this will be a lifelong struggle for me, so I will be keeping my guard up this time around.

I want to send a thank you to each and every one of you who have shared your insights, motivation, and love with others on this board. I know that I will never meet any of you, which is odd, because you all seem like friends I've known for years. I wish each and everyone of you the best of luck on your own individual journeys. If you need anything, feel free to reach out. Tonight I will be celebrating with a diet Dr. Pepper and some Netflix. 1 month is a long time in the life of a stoner. I'm guessing that is somewhere near 250-300 "sessions" I have spared myself...having smoked 8-10x daily, minimum. :)
asgoodasitgets

Postby reckoning » Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:42 pm

Congratulations , what a great milestone you have reached. Not only that, but your posts are really helping others , myself included. I relate so much to many things you say and I really appreciate you taking the time to say them.

asgoodasitgets wrote: self-esteem - I've always had issues with this. Quitting smoking has not magically fixed my self-esteem, but I know it has put me in a much better place to address some of the underlying issues. Being able to look at myself and actually make a change has definitely given me some extra confidence, which in turn has given me a fraction of love for myself.

Yes finding out that you can love yourself is one of the big rewards for me too in quitting. Somehow in a quit, it feels like a healthier and more humble love too, and more connected to delivering to myself what I really value rather than trying to be someone I am not. I prefer to love not judge my self as this is very much my path to dropping judgements about others. That's a big benefit for me too.

Keep going . You are teaching me a lot about reaching out and being honest. Your stats, re calculating the 250-300 sessions really help to put things in perspective too.

I resigned my job today. Not an easy decision yet being on day 60 of my quit I know it is a decision that supports the path I am on, and has not been made in the haze of smoking , and allows me to have respect for myself, and will open up new opportunities to keep on the path of being authentic.

Thank-you for your sharing.
reckoning

Likes Received: 56

Postby asgoodasitgets » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:26 am

@ Reckoning -

I sincerely appreciate your kind words, it touches my heart to know that people actually read these posts. I am very thankful to have inspired you, isn't this an amazing community? :) Your posts have helped me as well. Congratulations on making the step in quitting your job, I'm sure you took your time to arrive at that decision, I believe good things are around the corner for you.

Quitting smoking herb is one of the most difficult things I have ever done. I believe typing this out is an accomplishment in itself. I say this because for so long I was ashamed to even think I might have a problem with MJ. There definitely is a group of thinkers out there that believe the words marijuana and addiction don't belong in the same sentence. For one reason or another, there are those who would mock us and label us as: weak, pathetic, whatever. They believe that a "normal" person should be able to quit weed easily, that it isn't even a "real" drug. For quit some time I believed this hype, thinking that the issue was all me. It was only after discovering communities such as this one did I realize it is a genuine issue, for people from all walks of life. I'm not saying the problem was weed itself, as I know people who can enjoy moderately. That said, there is definitely a risk of psychological and physical addiction, especially for addictive personalities such as mine.

I am so thankful to this forum and our community for helping me to see the light. Things aren't easier, but I continue to feel hope in my heart for a new life, somewhere around the bend. All the best! -Alex <3 @ 29 days clean
asgoodasitgets

PreviousNext