plans of actions for stressful situations

Postby Bkhoa » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 pm

Hi all,
I am prepared for a final quitting. I was reading this guide: first result when you search "droginfo com guideuk pdf". And I was wondering what you quitters have as "plans of actions for stressful situations" ? For instance if at 4AM you cannot sleep for hours with haunting thoughts emotionally conflicting or about using, or in the morning waking to only think that you cannot not find your dealer today, what would you do ?

For myself I could imagine something immersive and solitary, like playing video games, watching a good movie, having a walk in the neighborhood, meditation, gardening, repairing/building stuff, reading a book. Even if I not sure that would get me through, but it is things I usually like to do and make me feel good.
What you people plan for such circonstances to escape the worst ?
Likes Received: 0

Postby Bkhoa » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:21 am

no one has such plans or is there something wrong with my question ?
Likes Received: 0

Postby reckoning » Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:03 am

Welcome to the forum. There are many many strategies in these pages for dealing with the extreme anxiety that comes for many people when quitting. Keep reading through the threads and you will see a lot. It is especially helpful to understand that the early part of a quit is going to be really hard and you need to keep at it. Over time it gets much better.

I find that quitting is not just changing behaviour but it is also about changing your mind set and reactivity to situations you find yourself in.

I do many things go to gym, yoga, meditation, read. Regarding sleeplessness I do my best not to let it become the focus. I welcome the extra hours of wakefulness that I have.
Likes Received: 16

Postby asgoodasitgets » Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:19 am

Bkhoa wrote:no one has such plans or is there something wrong with my question ?

Hello Bkhoa, welcome to the forums. Nothing "wrong" with that question at all. As reckoning noted, there are pages and page of helpful hints here on the forum. That said, I will give you my personal take at quitting.

Identify why you want to quit and benefits it will yield...

To start, identify the reasons you wish to quit. Having knowledge and insight into your habit will arm you when you are feeling low. Quitting is like declaring war against a certain part of yourself. While you may have every intellectual and emotional reason to quit, physically your body is going to be pissed off that you have suddenly stopped the flow of THC. So, when you are withdrawing and your physical body is giving you every reason to spark up, and it often will, you can disarm these attacks with intellect and reason. For example, I know intellectually I am able to get better jobs when I am not smoking, due to drug testing and just flat out being sharper sober. So when a craving comes up, I remind myself of things like this. Yea, I could blaze...but...I'm really looking forward to the new opportunities around the corner. I try to do this for every single intellectual reason I can list for not smoking.

Sign a Contract with Yourself...

Like yourself, I found a quit-smoking weed guide and completed the worksheet. The most powerful part of it was a contract that I signed, to myself, to stop smoking. I put it right on the refrigerator where I can see it multiple times per day. I am committed to myself, and seeing it in black-and-white, with my signature attached, really helps. I didn't see one in the guide you referenced, but you could always write your own. I am trying to think of myself as a 3rd party, someone outside of me who I am not willing to let down.

Don't grant yourself permission to return to your old lifestyle...

I have told myself that no matter what happens, if my parents both die in an accident, whatever, I will not grant myself permission to get high. I tell myself I am stronger than a plant and that I have spent enough time running from my problems. I guess the key here is being stubborn, telling yourself that there is no reason you will grant myself "permission" to get high. If you are looking for a reason, you will find one.

Prepare yourself for the first few weeks...

If you are a serious smoker, be ready for a rough few first weeks. You mentioned insomnia earlier, it definitely happens. In instances like that I just tell myself to hold on. You don't have to do anything except abstain. Mental outlook also plays a role here. Remind yourself that withdrawal symptoms (insomnia, night sweats, whatever) are a sign of your body healing. This is very helpful. In a way, I have enjoyed the withdrawal because it is emblematic of the detox process. Your body has reached a homeostasis with the THC you have provided it for years, so its only natural that when you remove that chemical, it's going to "short-circuit" a bit. There were many instances during the first 2 weeks of quitting where I just had to sit and count the hours. I downloaded an app for my phone (there are lots) to track the time for me. It has been extremely helpful in keeping me motivated, even if I'm just watching the seconds add up.

If possible, I'd recommend you try to start your quit over a work weekend. Some on this forum have also taken a vacation as to distract themselves and hopefully just help them get through the first few days.

Interact with those who have quit...

You have already started this step, by posting here. The amount of support here is absolutely amazing. This community has people who have quit for years and people who are just starting, but we are all addicts. By sharing our collective wisdom, motivation, and intellectual powers, we are all better arming ourselves for the process of quitting and staying quit. I'd highly recommend you start a quit journal here and write on a daily basis. This is probably the most powerful tool in my arsenal. I can write anything here, without judgment, to a community that I know truly understands me. It's not like talking about weed addiction to a casual smoker or to somebody who has never sparked. Those people just don't "get it." They have no idea what it feels like, especially since the majority of the world believes cannabis is non-addictive and for the most part, benign. There is something powerful about feeling heard and understood, and I encourage you to be as transparent as you can with your progress here.

Change your habits...

- ditch the remaining herb or give it away; ditch your dealers phone numbers

- hold off on interacting with friends/acquaintances who still smoke; if you are "true" friends, you will eventually reunite. If your entire friendship is based on getting high together, no real loss. Avoid those who don't respect your process or attempt to sabotage you. Remember quitting holds up the mirror to them, and if they feel at all insecure about their own habit, they may subconsciously attempt to derail you.

- get some melatonin or kava kava for insomnia - wait out those sleepless nights...don't give in, it is a vicious cycle. Sleep and rest will return. During my first 2 weeks this was my biggest complaint, now I am almost at 4 weeks and I can tell you I am sleeping like a baby again...finally. This is serious deferred gratification in practice.

- I don't smoke cigarettes but I did buy a vape pen and filled it with 0% nicotine vape juice. When I am seriously craving, I pull this sucker out and take a few is no weed, but it definitely helps me out in a pinch. Total placebo effect but it works.

- tell a supportive friend or family member you have quit. This makes it real. My friends and family are sharing in my success, and it makes me not want to let them down. I am accountable to them and myself, I want to make them proud.

I hope this helps, my friend. Let me know if you have any questions and/or comments. I wish you the best of success in this. You are absolutely capable of making this happen. Remind yourself that previously you had a life without weed. All of the joys of being alive, the beauty, the passions, they will all come back after a while. When you quit, everything seems dull, almost black and white. Within weeks though, you should be seeing in color again...maybe not the best or brightest or sharpest colors, but colors nonetheless. It never gets "easy," you just get stronger.

All the best.

Likes Received: 73

Postby tokeless » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:10 am

My only advice is to challenge the belief that smoking weed helps manage stress. Manage your stress by identifying what causes it and dealing with the causes. Weed just delays doing that, hence the appeal and belief it has managed it.
Likes Received: 191

Postby reckoning » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:39 pm

Yes for sure writing here in this forum every day will help you. Thanks asgoodasitgets, you give so many words of wisdom. And tokeless too. I endorse both of what these guys posted. ( still have not worked out how to do the quite thing)

Writing in this forum is a very strong tool in your arsenal is very very true. I've had a few days of reactivity but always coming here and even just writing a few words gives me a deeper and satisfying connection to my resolve to keep going with the quit- my investment to a longed for freedom from the restrictions and negativity of how weed can shape many of us over the long term.

Stressful situations are a part of life, stressful situations are a part of smoking weed. I prefer the stressful situations I have when NOT smoking weed. Over the long term I handle them better but it does take time. One day I will feel great and then the next I am very challengeg again- the good old PAWS, I know that old dog so giving her pats today.
Likes Received: 16