THC withdrawal is bad

Postby owen86 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi people I have replied to a few threads but thought I would post my own experience. I am currently about 5 months into weed cold turkey (I have had 1 slip up). Nothing could have prepared me for this crap I'm going through at the moment. I started toking at about 16 years old with my mates just mainly bonging hash whenever we could
After a while of doing this it just didn't affect me anymore so i made the natural progression onto weed which rocked my world completely and for the next 16ish years continued to do so. I dabbled in cocaine and got into a pretty bad state on it at the age of 19. In reality I was pushing self destruct having failed at school pretty epically and then also at college. Drugs were an escape for me and who gives a sh** when youre stoned right? The weed started getting stronger and stronger and the high was better and better until last October when I started having intense feelings of fear about dying I had a panic attack when I was stoned and I then experienced pretty naughty anxiety for the next few days and decided enough was enough my brain was telling me it had had enough. About 3 days into quitting I started noticing the sweats, nausea, no appetite and trouble sleeping which I attributed to stress. Then the fear and anxiety came back a fear that I was dying, I wouldn't get to see my kids grow up etc. Every morning I would wake up if I had slept with really heavy anxiety that I just couldn't shake and the fear that I wouldn't be able to sleep that night. It has taken me nearly 5 months to shake the majority of the anxiety but I still have trouble sleeping at least 2 or 3 days a week at its worst I don't sleep at all or fall asleep at 4am I have started exercising to start combatting this. I have had some excellent responses and supportive messages from wave jmh355 and Andrea and thanks to you I no longer feel so alone I realise this is a temporary situation while my brain heals itself after all the years of abuse it has received I am starting to see some improvements week on week and hope and pray that somehow my brain will fully fix itself although it feels a long way away at the moment.
owen86

Likes Received: 11

Postby asgoodasitgets » Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:28 am

owen86 wrote:pray that somehow my brain will fully fix itself although it feels a long way away at the moment.

@ Owen86 - Your brain will absolutely heal. The human body is an amazing piece of machinery. I say this having quit before in the past, I lasted three years (3). It started as a "break" and I was naive, having no idea what I would expect when I quit. Well, I quickly found out and swore I'd never go back. Long story short, weed crept back into my life and I am now on Day 23 of my second quit. It has been easier for me because I vaguely recall my first quit...I can tell you that I do remember feeling back to normal after about 3-6 months, I don't recall. I'm not saying it was easy past that point, but I want to re-assure you that there did come a day where I felt "normal." After a while your body will adjust and find a new equilibrium. The idea that we will never be normal or healed is absolutely disheartening, and sadly, it's the reason a lot of people seem to give in.

Find peace knowing you are not past the point of no return. There is hope. Withdrawal symptoms are proof that our bodies are healing, ride it out and smile, you are on the way. Reach out if you need anything and "hello!" :)

-Alex
asgoodasitgets

Likes Received: 98

Postby owen86 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:58 am

Hi Alex many thanks for your reply it is so good to know I am not alone in this as the drs haven't got clue what's going on and just try and throw anti depressants at you but I'm fairly sure I agree with everyone else that they are just a temporary fix and il just be hit with worse pain trying to come off them further down the line. I am seeing improvements everyday subtle changes in my mood and concentration etc. I guess this took me hugely by surprise as I have tried the odd quit before and never experienced any of these symptoms even giving up cigarettes was easier. I have just resolved now that I will be stuck in this for a while as my brain heals and I am.seriously looking forward to getting better. The one question I have is how come no one associates PAWS with weed and just harder drugs people are so naive about the consequences of smashing THC into you for so many years and I swear so many of the "experts" advising the government have never even tried weed just read books instead of having actual real knowledge about the effects of ganja.
owen86

Postby asgoodasitgets » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:11 am

owen86 wrote:The one question I have is how come no one associates PAWS with weed and just harder drugs people are so naive about the consequences of smashing THC into you for so many years and I swear so many of the "experts" advising the government have never even tried weed just read books instead of having actual real knowledge about the effects of ganja.

I don't know that's a great question... I would venture to think that for a mild smoker the withdrawal would be minimal... not as pronounced as it would be for an addict... I have friends who can smoke occasionally and can stop at will... You would almost think that all of the studies were done on people like that... Every single person I know who has smoked religiously has had a hard time quitting.

This is why I'm still a fan of legalization, because just because I can't enjoy weed because of my addictive personality doesn't mean that other people shouldn't be able to in my humble opinion. I take full responsibility for the fact that I abuse the s*** out of things I like. There's a fine line between taking a hit off a joint occasionally and dabbing concentrated THC all day everyday for years. I unfortunately fall into the latter category, not being able to control myself. Admitting this is one of the first steps of my own personal healing. I am under No Illusion that I can ever be moderate smoker, I simply can't. So I guess it just depends on what type of smoker the studies are looking at. There have been studies that are both favorable and negative in terms of weed, and depending on which side you are on, those are the studies that you will be referencing if you're arguing it. Each side picks and chooses what they want to prove their point just like everything else.

I am thankful for this site for helping to enlighten me that withdrawal from weed is no joke and is no less serious than any other substance. The chemicals don't really matter, it's our bodies reaction to them. You could be addicted to fast food ... marijuana has the ability to be abused by a certain type of person, like myself and many other on this forum... to paraphrase a song, one-hit is one too many, one more is never enough.
asgoodasitgets

Likes Received: 98

Postby owen86 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:43 pm

I guess I would agree with the legalisation thing also the problem is the government are so old and stuffy they just don't get it. I mean if it were legalised they could properly regulate how it's grown and produced as the way it is being done now has made it such an unbalanced drug that it's messing people up left right and centre. I know like yourself I can't help myself when it comes to things like weed which is why I'm abstaining from alcohol as well now as I'm fairly sure my body was wanting me to use it as a replacement for weed and I'm sure it was making my paws symptoms worse. I have found exercise to be massively helpful and a good diet also. I am now seeing this as a journey I have to take in order to make myself and my family a better life even though it's a bit of a bumpy ride to say the least. The thing that gets me is the lack of informative material on this your dr will tell you you need anti depressants even without properly investigating the situation.
owen86

Postby Need.food. » Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:37 am

Hello all,
Im currently on day 2 of no weed and im dying. I weigh 99 pounds and have no appetite whats so ever. All i want to do is lay in bed and do nothing. Im scared to excersie because well ive barely eaten .. woke up in a puddle of sweat, going through it. Have no cravings for weed although ive loved it so much i NEVER want to feel this way ever again. My family is worried ( im currently hiding my cannabis abuse from them) and its killing me because im so ashamed of who i am. I started smoking weed at 14 and i loved it. With strict parents who abused me mentally and physically well into my late teens i used weed as my escape from my shitty reality.
Ive been smoking over a gram a day for over 6 years now. Quitting has been one of the hardest things my nody has endured so far. Man vs self rn my mind is racing with “what ifs” and regret. Tomorrow i made an appointment with a psychiatrist hopefulyl she can help me. But yea these forums have helped me but the fact that some ppl say they havent felt better by day 10 is killing me. I cant go without eating anymore i feel like im going to die.
Need.food.

Likes Received: 0

Postby exstonerinhell » Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:10 am

Need.food,

Get some ensure protein drinks. Your appetite will come back, but you gotta do whatever you can to get some fuel in you. Your body can't fix itself without proper nutrition. Not saying you should change to some great diet tomorrow, but while going through this process you're going to need fuel. Start with some protein drinks/bars, get some fresh fruit and do what you can. Good luck man.
exstonerinhell

Likes Received: 67