Do you believe in fate..?

Postby Hed Kandi » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:49 pm

do you think or believe that things happen for a reason? Either things happening to yourself or others... does anybody here believe this stuff??

do you think that fate is just a learning curve for people to learn through that particular experience? are things meant to happen or can they be avoided? because if they can be avoided, why then do we stil allow things to happen?
Hed Kandi

Postby Hannahlou84 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:25 am

That's one hell of a question!!

Sometimes I believe that things are meant to happen for a reason, and can't really be changed however much you try- and this I would call fate.

However, sometimes I also believe, again, that things happen for a reason, but they can be changed, and that it is through human flaw we don't see them, yet still we blame ourselves...

The first option is easier on you!!

Um, I don't really know to be honest though. The words of David Sneddon got me on this one! "Nothing happens on its own, fate is just a word".

I think it is nice to believe that we are in control though, and fate is there merely for the things we can't. So maybe it is a case of looking at individual situations and deciding whether it was fate? I am not sure! I hope you aren't looking for any definite answers, hun!
Hannahlou84

Postby KatyaP » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:46 am

I'll tell you one thing that might help. This is sorta for fortune telling but it may be of use.

God gave us choice right? He didn't tell us to strictly do something he allowed us o choose. We can be good or bad, happy or sad as we wish.

How can someone possibly tell our future or fate if we have choice on what we want to do. It's like someone is deciding our every move, which is not according to what God said.

I dunno if this will be much help, but it is something to look upon. Bye.
KatyaP

Postby kat5416 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:45 am

Yeah I definitely believe in fate. Not that I'm saying you can't influence your future or that "trying" to do something is pointless. It's just that there are some things we cannot change. There are some things that will happen no matter what we do.

I suppose it's also about faith. And faith really helps to keep me grounded I guess. It kinda takes some of the responsibility off my shoulders which is a comforting thing.

I have faith that certain things (good and bad) will happen to me. And these things will happen to help me grow as a person.

What a great world it would be if we could just accept the things that happen and make the best out of them when they do?
kat5416

Postby kat5416 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:57 am

I was a total athiest until a few years back. I always used to maintain that no intelligent person could believe in God. And my favourite saying was that I could totally believe in Aliens rather than a god.

But when I hit rock bottom and I wanted to die... and wanting and knowing that I could kill myself. It was such a huge thing for me, a life changing moment. I'm not saying God suddenly called out to me, definitely not. The last thing I was thinking of was God! But I stopped myself and then the next day things got better, just slightly but definitely better. And then I found God, I don't want to sound churchy or anything. But something changed in me and I guess I knew I had to ask for help and I did and God was the person who replied. It sounds stupid but it was a real leap of faith for me.

So I think that fate and God are related. That whole link between faith and fate. So even when something really bad happens in my life and I get angry at god for a moment and then I ask him what I am supposed to learn from this. It helps to ask that question rather than dwell on how bad things are.
kat5416

Postby satanstoystore » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:25 pm

kat5416 wrote:...even when something really bad happens in my life and I get angry at god for a moment and then I ask him what I am supposed to learn from this. It helps to ask that question rather than dwell on how bad things are.

whoa I do the same thing! except I don't get angry at god. I think we're dreaming in god's dream.

I don't believe in fate. I do believe we have some flexibility in coordinating our own learning experiences though.
satanstoystore
MVP
MVP

Postby Chaznay » Mon Oct 17, 2005 7:51 pm

I've never been a believer in fate, partly because I don't understand how such terrible things can happen to innocent people "for a reason."

Although I do admit that some things are perhaps destined to happen to certain people but rather than that being down to fate I believe that it is more likely to be down to the person themselves. Some people look specifically for things that they could list as fate, for instance, being in the "right place at the right time," based on a random thought in their head about the fact that they have maybe met someone that they've got on with well doing something they don't usually do. "If I hadn't have gone, I would never have met him, it's fate, it has to be...."

You hear such things from big believers in fate, but if you think about it logically there is a far greater chance of you meeting someone that you don't usually in a new place, it doesn't mean that you were "meant" to meet this person, it just means that you have. It's not so suprising when you think about how many people are in so many different places at different times.

That point aside though, the terrible things that happen from day to day, I just can't see how people being killed or dying of a certain illness or being abused etc. can happen "for a reason?" I just don't understand this. I have also noticed that in my past discussions with people about fate the bad things that happen in life are rarely mentioned, just the good, no-one likes or wants to believe that bad things can happen without being avoided but everyone wants to believe in the good. Sadly I don't believe fate can only work one way, if it did then what about the bad things, what do people put them down to? Just pure bad luck?

I do admire those of you who have a lot of faith in the ways of the world though, it is a nice thought to have to believe in fate, a little frightening at times too I should imagine, believing that everything has kind of already been "planned" out for you.

But to sum it up, I genuinely just can't get my head round the whole fate thing, I believe that it relies on what type of person you are whether or not you can see reasoning behind everything that happens, some have that quality, some don't and I'm one of those who don't.
Chaznay

Postby HyperOnExperience » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:48 pm

It's an intresting one.The definition of 'fate' is that events are outside a persons control and predetirmined by a supernatural power.Its a question that is impossible to answer because we just dont know enough about the forces which are beyond scientific understanding.I had an experience three years ago when i visited a 'medium'. what she said has made me think differently about fate. Everything she said has so far happened. i'm talking about very specific events and details not generalisations. Its quite a scary concept to think that everyones life is planned out, because if it is then we are powerless to do anything about it.
HyperOnExperience

Postby N1kk1 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:24 pm

Do I believe in fate?

You know what... I never really thought of this question before. I think it is good you ask such questions, but such difficult ones... I don't even think the smartest person in the world could answer it. Unless there is no answer that is.

Well honestly... I don't believe in fate. I think life is on the go because you can plan, but you don't know that your planning is what ACTUALLY is gonna happen.

It's just a thought ^_^
N1kk1

Postby daniel » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:09 pm

what a joke it is to me, i donnot think we can prove it and i sometimes just take the fate as a after-dinner talk.
i mean we cannot see if it is real or not, i cannot stop thinking about it, thought, no matter what is it, we do just what we can, that is ok. There are so many things in our life, how important the fate is when we've already plates of stuffs in our hands which were given by so called fate?
yes, there is a fate that one day some of us will not existe in this world(i am sorry to say), so change the things that we can change, smile when we can smile. that's it!
maybe it is mysterious, but it is not so important, the best thing is that we never no the ending.
daniel

Postby launchboxbill » Thu Oct 20, 2005 12:17 pm

the one thing no one can control is the passage of time. with the passage of time, things WILL happen, for one person to have food it means less food for someone else, for two people to marry it means less chance for someone else, when a child is born it means less resources for everyone else etc. Since time will always continue, and things will always happen, AND since there are over 7 billion people in the world making decisions and actions that affect other people, then clearly one cannot control the series of events that occur in their life. You can be safe and protect from things. But the law of probability is gonna tell you the chance you can control all the events in just a day in your life is next to 0. But people like to tag 'fate' onto the more important events in their life, as if they mean more in terms of universal existance.

if you believe in all knowing god, then you cannot believe in free will. unfortunately, free will is something many christians at least believe is god's gift.
launchboxbill
Preferred Member

Postby bobw2829 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:34 pm

Kudos to HyperOnExperience for explaining how fate is something beyond human understanding. Though, I think people generally view fate as: 1.) we have no free will - everything happens for a reason or total fate. 2.) a major event(s) will occur that we have no control over or partial fate. 3.) fate does not exist.

As for number one: What would really be the point of living without any semblance of free will? Without any sort of free will u do not exist.

As for number two: I tend to believe in this one. Although our fate may be decided for us, it's the decisions we make along the way that define us. Simply put, it's a difference of becoming a legend or living life as a low-life. And what I mean by this is your not fated to becoming a rock star or a senator. Your fate would be your birth, death, destruction of the universe, etc.

As for number three: If fate does not exist, then everything in the universe must be part of a random event. It's called entropy - the factor of disorder within a system that lead to many possibilities. Entropy exists in certain degrees, but is ultimately incased in what we know as "fate" or laws of the universe. Take for example a gas: a gas is made up of atoms; its impossible to predict the momenta of atoms within a gas in a natural environment; and the atoms must form together to make up the gas; this formation of atoms is a law of the universe; that law is part of a system; therfore, that system cannot be based upon random events - proving the existence of fate.
bobw2829

Postby michab » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:50 am

I don't think you can depend on fate to get you too far- I think you have to work for your success.

But at the same time, I do believe in some kind of energy, force, or weird coincidence. Sometimes when I find latch on to that crazy energy, my life feels really purposeful, rich and vibrant.
michab

Postby Annie7788 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:33 pm

Chaznay wrote:I've never been a believer in fate, partly because I don't understand how such terrible things can happen to innocent people "for a reason."

Although I do admit that some things are perhaps destined to happen to certain people but rather than that being down to fate I believe that it is more likely to be down to the person themselves. Some people look specifically for things that they could list as fate, for instance, being in the "right place at the right time," based on a random thought in their head about the fact that they have maybe met someone that they've got on with well doing something they don't usually do. "If I hadn't have gone, I would never have met him, it's fate, it has to be...."

You hear such things from big believers in fate, but if you think about it logically there is a far greater chance of you meeting someone that you don't usually in a new place, it doesn't mean that you were "meant" to meet this person, it just means that you have. It's not so suprising when you think about how many people are in so many different places at different times.

That point aside though, the terrible things that happen from day to day, I just can't see how people being killed or dying of a certain illness or being abused etc. can happen "for a reason?" I just don't understand this. I have also noticed that in my past discussions with people about fate the bad things that happen in life are rarely mentioned, just the good, no-one likes or wants to believe that bad things can happen without being avoided but everyone wants to believe in the good. Sadly I don't believe fate can only work one way, if it did then what about the bad things, what do people put them down to? Just pure bad luck?

I guess there is no reason only good things should happen. It's interesting how people always question why something terrible happened, but they never question when all the wonderful things go right in life. We take so much for granted until there is a problem with it.

I don't really believe in fate as such. But I do believe that people can end up in a life lesson trap, being led back to the same place by their actions and attitudes. When they learn the lesson they move on.
Annie7788
MVP
MVP

Postby thefool » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Err well...

When you really dig deep enough there are reasons for everything... even why this bird pooped in your head specifically that one time. These reasons hardly ever have anything to do with 'chance', and even chance is just a matter of favorable VS unfavorable ods.

Barring flukes, or things that are designed to produce random results, everything is pretty much just causality.. you do this, those things follow, and every now and then you get unexpected results, either because you didn't prepare enough or because you didn't have all the information when you made your decisions.

So do things happen for a reason? Yeah absolutely, barring flukes.
thefool

Next

Return to Psychology