THC and Nicotine

Postby jimmyjazz » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Hi There

Been reading a lot on this forum last couple of days and thought I would post my current story and see what experiences others have made.

Ive been a daily cannabis user for 25 years. I tried my first smoke in my early teens and was a regular daily user by the time I was 16. I started on hash and then when skunk became more popular here in the UK in the mid 90s I moved to that instead. (I am now 41). I have tried to stop before unsuccessfully and my story is pretty much the same as other long term chronic users. Smoking from when I wake up till when I go to sleep (no longer do this on work days though). I would panic if I think I will run out and it becomes the most important thing in the world. Although I lead a decent life it has always revolved somewhat around being constantly stoned and when not stoned thinking about the next opportunity that I will be able to get stoned. The herb definately has control over me in this respect. I like to be stoned for everything from walking the dog to cutting the grass. I am sure many who come here can relate to all of this.

I have tried to give up a unsuccessfully a few times in more recent years because I don't like this dependence and frankly I smoke far too much of it. The problem which took me some time to realise is that I mix it with tobacco. I do smoke cigarettes too but only when not suitable to smoke weed like the pub or at my place of work but otherwise its always a joint so I end up literally chain smoking them at times and to the point where I am not even enjoying them anymore. To be honest the only time I really feel a nice buzz is the first hour after a wake and bake and after that it just makes me feel groggy and lethargic but yet still I carry on rolling them! I did quit for 1 year due to living abroad where I couldn't get it but other than that its never been out of my system for more than a few days at a time.

I don't often smoke cigarettes at work so I usually chew on NRT gums during the day then get the joints rolled when I get home. If I am not working then its joints all day so I have felt for sometime my nicotine intake was unbalanced and perhaps the reasons for my constant shifts in mood last few years.

So I started out 6 days ago on a mission to quit Nicotine. I have had no tobacco or any form of nicotine since last Sunday afternoon but as a side effect (and one I hadn't actually planned) I haven't smoked any weed either. I have only ever enjoyed the sensation of mixing tobacco and weed in a joint, I tried vapes and never got on with them and just weed rolled in a joint never felt like it was the hit I wanted. So for the last 6 days I just haven't really wanted to smoke any weed as I can't enjoy it the way I like too.

I am not taking any drugs or alcholol to numb the cravings and now effectively cold turkeying on both THC and Nicotine at the same time. The strange thing is I am finding this easier (ok the first few days were not nice) than the last time when I quit weed and smoked shed loads of cigarettes all day to compensate whilst constantly wishing they were a joint. I lasted 6 weeks last time and felt worse after that than I do now after 6 days. I am getting the ups and downs sure but I am relating those more to the nicotine withdrawal than I am THC.

Perhaps I will collapse in a gibberring emotional wreck in a couple of weeks time but currently this seems strangely easy. Whenever I feel one of the negatives my mind is telling me its nicotine withdrawal and ignoring the fact I am not getting THC either. I don't have the levels of boredom and anxiety I had last time and I am not really thinking much about it. To be honest I think more about having a cigarette right now than I do a joint. Its certainly true that Nicotine is a seriously powerful addiction! From my own experience of peers who have stopped weed after similar lengths of time is they smoke tobacco heavily afterwards and this is previously how I tried to stop the weed.

I would love to hear from somebody who has a similar experience of quitting both THC and Nicotine at the same time and how it played out in the long run.

Thanks for taking the time to read this
jimmyjazz

Likes Received: 8

Postby JoeBloggs » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:01 pm

I can relate. I quit weed in 2015 but still take nicotine. I recommend the link in my signature. Best wishes.
JoeBloggs

Likes Received: 50

Postby Bagobones » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:33 am

I did both. My favorite way to smoke was like you, joints rolled with ciggs. Like you, I had to quit both. I used nicotine patches in the beginning.

I dont know what to say. I suspect you will be one of the lucky ones that dont struggle with quitting. But then again, we have users that got it very late. A user named netty did "collapse in a gibberring emotional wreck", like you call it :), after 6 months if i remember correctly. You still have THC in your system, so be a bit mindfull of that. Its really when your all clean, that the brain is going to start having its riot against you. Just be a bit mindful in the 2-3 month mark.

But as I said, my gutfeeling is telling me you will have a easy time with this.

In the long run for me its played out nicely. I am a really annoying non smoker now... I hate the smell of cigarettes. As for weed, well I still miss it a bit, and I had to eventually get a little help from health care. But that was all good and long after I quit. Some issues surfaced, that I had been too stoned to deal with properly the last 20 years... hehe..

Good luck and have a good adventure.. :)
Bagobones

Likes Received: 68

Postby jimmyjazz » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:34 pm

Hi bagobones

Thanks for you reply. Yeah I am certainly mindful of what's to come.. I have read enough on here to understand that it's a long term struggle and often gets harder later down the line. I think my first post was likely a little optimistic and I shouldn't have used the word easy so lightly. I know from previous experience it's tough and that's clearly why I have failed before. I was just surprised that it's not been the nightmare I was first expecting attempting both together. It's been an interesting couple of weeks for sure with ups and downs emotionally. Feeling great one minute to severely depressed the next. It became more intense about 10 days in for me but then got better again.

Anyway I am starting day 16 now but I did relapse 4 days ago with THC. In a moment of madness I convinced myself a go on a vape was OK and I was taking too much on quitting both blah blah blah... So this would be OK as it's just THC. Remember I never set out to quit that right. The mind games beat me that night.

I instantly regretted it and the feelings of guilt made it completely unworthwhile and unenjoyable. I just sat in deep thought feeling terrible about it. In hindsight it was less than 1/5th of what i would normally put in one of my many nightly joints but I smoked it none the less! I hope to have learnt a lesson from that and I will soldier on. I am best not having either.

JJ
jimmyjazz

Postby tokeless » Tue May 01, 2018 6:45 pm

Hi JJ, your initial post could have been written by me. I smoked for 35 years everyday bar the odd one or two days. Took it abroad with me, even to countries that would have punished me big time. I just quit out of the blue.. Bang, done. I did find it easy and can't understand why or how but glad it was. I guess all I can offer you is the battles are in the mind.. The choice not to is a hard one. However when you went somewhere where there wasn't any I bet you managed easier because the choice was made for you? Stick at it and like any war, it's winning the many battles that does it. Best wishes.
tokeless

Likes Received: 213

Postby jimmyjazz » Thu May 03, 2018 8:41 pm

Hi Tokeless

Thanks for posting back to me. 35 years! Wow I thought I had smoked a long time.. :D guess your mind must have just decided it was your time to quit. It's so comforting to hear one person on here just say that it was easy for them. Every poster I have read on this forum talks about the extreme difficulties they are facing, some just a few days in and others months later. I was starting to think it was only a matter of time before I feel the same but your post has made me a lot less anxious about a possible nightmare just around the corner.

Your bang on about the having the decision made for you. For example if I was travelling on business I was fine (barring a crap nights sleep) but if i was at home and ran out then wow talk about the end of the world. Same 24 hours abstinence completely different feeling.

right now everything I am experiencing seems alien to everything i read about other peoples experiences on this forum. I should note that my wife smokes weed and cigarettes too but I have found that it's easier for me just to have the normality of her doing so rather than making her hide it away and pretend it's not there.

Having some vivid dreams still and I am quite angry for short periods but that as far as I am concerned is the nicotine withdrawal which will pass. i also feel a bit lost when I walk in from work for the first 1/2 hour as normally that was a big joint!
jimmyjazz

Postby tokeless » Thu May 03, 2018 10:16 pm

Hi JJ. I honestly don't know how it happened but I guess I don't need to. I think subconsciously I'd been 'planting the seeds' to stop. One being that my children were getting older so hiding my habit would only get harder. Plus I became aware of my wanting them in bed so I could start my weed time and I disliked that about myself because nothing comes before them, so little things add up. I wasn't really buzzing anymore either as my tolerance was ridiculous. I have always said the battles are in the mind mate.. When you defo can't have one you accept it but having choice is the bitch because we hit the would/should conflict. "I should try and not smoke but I would love to have just one". I also advise not counting days etc as it keeps it current in your mind. Just accept you no longer smoke and get on with your day... I have stopped about 5 years now and wouldn't have a single joint because what would I get? A coughing fit, light headed and maybe a panic attack??? I know all weed can offer so thanks for the memories eh? You sound strong minded even though you may not always feel it.. That's normal in this situation. The after work trigger will lessen as time goes on. Instead of coming home straight away maybe go the gym or meet the wife for a coffee etc.. Break the cycle and create new ones. You can do this JJ, just make the right choices because that power is yours and only yours.
Best wishes fella
tokeless

Postby tokeless » Thu May 03, 2018 10:23 pm

Oh yeah... The vivid dreams were weird but I got to like them in a way because I couldn't remember when I last did yet it never dawned on me until I quit. I'd often dream about being back in the Dam and looking for a coffee shop but couldn't find one... I know all the shops there. Then I'd find one and wake up. Maybe the subconscious telling me you're done lad?Have you had night sweats? That's nicotine I think. Shouldn't last too long.
Keep me posted
tokeless

Postby jimmyjazz » Tue May 08, 2018 7:49 pm

Hey Tokeless

Yeah I hear you mate The whole counting days thing got me through the first bout of Nicotine withdrawal. I put one of those apps on the phone which is kind of addictive watching the little thing tally up. Daft but it works for me :). Weed I haven't counted as such, I know its the same as nicotine/smoking barring the one little relapse and compared to what I used to smoke that can't have hit the sides anyway. Night sweats I had for the first 2 weeks but they have gone now, dreams I frequently have the same one each time albeit in different circumstances. It involves me smoking a bifta then suddenly realising half way through it that I have quite fags and weed and thinking "oh f**k, what did I do that for!". Its like in the dream I just do it out of habit then suddenly realise what I am doing.

I knew the Dam pretty well a few years ago too but can't say I made it to every coffee shop or remember half their names.. I loved the place though I know that.

Been taking the dog out in the evening but now driving out to different places rather than the same old local walk, this helps with the coming home thing and frankly in recent years I haven't wanted to drive stoned (since they introduced the testing) so it actually feels new and exciting.. what a weird feeling that is.

Still just ticking along otherwise, I have moments where I feel sh**, angry, depressed etc.. but sometimes I felt like that when I was toking all the time anyway. I am a normal bloke (well I like to thing so) so I have the ability to be a mardy twat just because I got out of bed on the wrong side. I don't need a lack of anything in my system for that.
jimmyjazz