Waking Up

Postby Woke » Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:17 pm

Hello Everyone,

This is actually my second time joining this forum and posting. The first time was probably around 4 years ago, when I was desperate for a new way of life. Since then I have quit MJ on and off; my most successful quit was around 3 weeks but every time I manage to stay away from it, I find my good old friends alcohol and party drugs (Cocaine & occasionally MDMA) and use those as an escape instead. This has often led to even more serious consequences than smoking (Arrests, ruined relationships, lost jobs).

I'm 30 this year and I feel like that has forced me to wake up and realise that I'm wasting my life. I currently have no job, have moved back in with my Mum and Dad, am around 100lbs over weight and feel like a total failure at life. I have tried to quit all vices so many times I cannot count so I have obviously been doing something wrong. I've started this topic to serve as a kind of personal blog and to keep myself accountable. My struggles have always felt like a shameful secret and I heard somewhere recently that the opposite of addiction is connection. That resonated with me and I'm hoping that by posting often and continuing to read other people's insights I will feel less alone.

I've currently been sober from alcohol/party drugs for 28 days after a particularly embarrassing incident that I still can't think about without squirming inside. I usually try and quit everything at once and that has never worked in the past so this time I started with alcohol etc. and will beginning my MJ quit from tomorrow (Monday 24th April 2018).

I am going to be 30 in September. I don't want my whole life to be a s***show littered with broken promises and missed opportunities. I want to like who I am and be proud of myself. I want to have stable relationships and be present when I am around people that I love. I want to be healthy and confident in myself and my decisions.

Reading everyone else's stories on here has been so inspirational and it feels so good to be able to read other people's posts and know that I am not alone and that I don't need to be ashamed. So thank you uncommon forum and for everyone who contributes to this community :)

Day 1 tomorrow so I had better get some sleep!

Good Night xe
Woke

Likes Received: 1

Postby reckoning » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:12 pm

Hi Woke,

Welcome back to the forum.

You have come to the right place to start holding yourself accountable. This site is so helpful for that. And you will get support by doing it too. This is an amazing community of people who will reach out to you.

All the best with your quit. It's never to late to start and it's never to early either to quit.

Keep reading the threads here and keep posting.
reckoning

Likes Received: 48

Postby George from UK » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:19 pm

Hi Woke

Hi resonate with alot of your story mate! I wish you nothing but the best!

George
George from UK

Likes Received: 51

Return to Addictions