Sugar Cravings - an Attempt at Treating Depression

Postby jurplesman » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:35 am

Sugar addiction is caused by the fact that when you ingest sugar it helps to produce serotonin, the feel good neurotransmitter.

Thus people with depression or serotonin deficiency might find temporary relief from sugar ingestion. Sugar consumption triggers the release of insulin, a hormone that functions to push glucose (and other nutrients) across cell membranes.

Insulin does not cause tryptophan to be absorbed. See:
tryptophan. This is an amino acid found in food that is converted to serotonin with the help of vitamin B6 and magnesium.

Thus with tryptophan left behind it is immediately converted to serotonin, and presto we feel happy.

Thus people who suffer from depression are likely to find relief in excess sugar consumption, but unfortunately only for a while..

The problem is that as we consume more and more sugar, it threatens the body with free radicals attacks, that may damage tissues and organs. The body sets up a defense by shutting down receptors for insulin, called ‘Insulin Resistance’ and thereby aggravating the depression that we are trying to treat.

Sugar addiction points to an important mechanism causing depression. The body craves sugar because it is lacking biological energy that is derived form glucose. Biological energy is essential for the brain to produce the feel good neurotransmitters such as serotonin and others like dopamine and so on.

With insulin resistance we may have higher than normal blood sugar levels, but the glucose is not entering the cells. Thus we have cells that are starving of energy.

When brain cells starve of energy it will trigger the release of adrenaline. This is a hormone that converts sugar stores in the body (in the liver and muscles) into glucose, so as to feed the brain again.

But adrenaline is also the fight/flight hormone, that we need when we are faced with a mortal danger.

Excess adrenaline production in the absence of external real danger produce anxiety attacks and insomnia. We usually cannot find a rational explanation of anxiety attacks, because they are physical, not mental.

Thus we see that insulin resistance may be the cause of sugar cravings, depression and anxiety attacks.

The solution is going on a Hypoglycemic Diet.

This diet may aggravate the depressive symptoms at first, and this can be alleviated by taking glycerine.

See:

Sugar Craving and Glycerine
jurplesman

Likes Received: 0

Postby Disco » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:24 pm

My ex-dealer (LOL LOL) used to only drink tea with five sugars and would only eat chicken or bacon. He had the biggest habit of anyone I'd ever seen and the worse diet too. Co-incidence? I think not.
Disco

Postby fran » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:55 am

Sounds like it's probably true jurplesman, makes a lot of sense.
I've tried so many times to get off sugar LOL I know I use it like a drug, as funny as it may sound, but probably for that reason I can't seem to be capable of doing it for more than half a day. Then I start feeling so crap I start eating it again hmmm :cry: I kinda gave up hope on that one though I know it leaves me feeling crap both mentally and physically... hmmm... :(
fran

Postby jurplesman » Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:18 am

Hi fran,

You can start by taking Glycerine three times a day.
jurplesman