numbness in cheek

Postby katfish21 » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:33 am

hi everyone, i'm new to this forum. I have suffered with panick attacks for 9 years now and i'm having therapy as I've been diagnosed with a health anxiety. I have had every symptom going on most occasions thought I have something seriously wrong with me. For the past two days I have a numbness in my left cheek and it hasn't gone away. I'm scared that there is something seriously wrong with me. I doesn't hurt but I just know it's there. Has anyone else had this symptom and had it for a few days?
katfish21

Likes Received: 0

Postby briary » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:21 pm

Hi catfish21

Welcome to the forum. It is good that you are receiving some help with the anxiety from a therapist. How is this going?

Numbness and tingling can occur in many different parts of the body and is associated with hyperventilation - ie when you overbreathe and therefore have too much oxygen and not enough carbon dioxide in your system. This can be helped by 7/11 breathing which is simple and easy to do - breathe in for a count of 7 and out for a count of 11 (or whatever count is comfortable for you as long as the out breath is longer than the in breath).

The free Panic Attacks Course could also help you learn to manage the anxiety much more effectively.

There is a useful article about health anxiety here that you could find helpful and some information about anxiety and panic attacks here.

If the symptom continues you might want to see your doctor for reassurance, however this can certainly be a symptom that occurs in people who are experiencing anxiety.

Karen
briary

Postby rockette » Mon Nov 14, 2005 11:19 am

hiya, i am also new to this forum, i have experianced numbness on parts of my face, sometimes on my forehead, sometimes my chin of all places, i have had it for sometimes a few hours, sometimes a few days, depends how much i am thinking about it, but as with all symptons of anxiety and panic, the more you think the more you fear the more it comes. :lol:
rockette
Preferred Member

Postby katfish21 » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:24 pm

Hi there, yes my therapy is going well and it has taught me how to handle the panick attacks alot better than I used to, it's well worth it.. I still have this feeling in my cheek and under my eye. It's been three days now and I'm worried it's not to do with my anxiety as I'm not really panicking about it. I'm just constantly aware of it and think about it all the time, wondering if it's anything serious...I just soo wish it woukld all go away which I know thats what we all think
katfish21

Postby Ph » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:40 pm

Hi Katfish

I think its a good idea to work with the numbness in your therapy. A friend of mine was in therapy and when he got around to talking about his relationship with his mother (she gave him up for adoption when he was two so that a certain man would marry her) his face went numb and he found it hard to speak. Rather than having to speak his therapist put him in a relaxing trance and he visualised the moon coming to sit on his knee. This might sound crazy but his therapist was very sensitive and intuited what he needed. He had remarked on the beauty of the moon at the beginning of his session. After this his lost the numbness in his face and was able to do the talking he needed to do. Don't be frightened by the numbness, it is probably part of the process, take it to your therapist.

Good luck Ph (short for Philippa)
Ph

Postby rockette » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:33 pm

katfish21 wrote:Hi there, yes my therapy is going well and it has taught me how to handle the panick attacks alot better than I used to, it's well worth it.. I still have this feeling in my cheek and under my eye. It's been three days now and I'm worried it's not to do with my anxiety as I'm not really panicking about it. I'm just constantly aware of it and think about it all the time, wondering if it's anything serious...I just soo wish it woukld all go away which I know thats what we all think

dont you think the fact that you say that your constantly aware of it,and thinking about it all the time, kind of answers why it is still there. :wink:
rockette
Preferred Member

Postby Ph » Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:08 pm

Hi

My belief is there is no such thing as an illness that isn't psychological. I don't mean that illnesses are our own fault, but have you noticed that you are more likely to be bothered by a cold when you are feeling a bit down or stressed anyway? As you are writing about your face in a forum about psychology and therapy, my fantasy is that (and its only a guess) that when you unlock something in therapy your face may unlock as well. There isn't a separation between mind and body because your mind is part of your body. If you have got a a paralysed or numb face your therapist is more likely to help you cure yourself than your doctor in my experience (and my experience isn't necessarily the "truth"). If you are worried you can go to your doctor as well. Illnesses are often a warning light from the body saying, pay attention to yourself.

Ph
Ph

Postby mike2714 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:43 am

so weird that you posted this! here I am freaking out worried about my cheek being numb.. and worried something is really wrong with me too.. my forehead is also a little numb and also beside / under my eye.. all on the left side! I have been suffering some severe anxiety the past few months as well.. and panic attacks.... usually I can keep the attacks low level.. although that just means im horribly uncomfortable but I can still function in most any situation... I'm a university student and tutor kids in high school.. it can be hard when I go to meet a new kid and I have to really struggle to keep it together :cry: anyways.. I am going to try not to think about this I notice that when I'm not thinking about it like very distracted it goes away.. but then again I'm not sure if its simply "gone away" because im not thinking about it? I'm also clenching my jaw a lot and it feels pretty messed up :roll: can you tell me if this went away for you? etc.. thanks so much ..
mike
mike2714

Postby amarkb » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:15 am

I'm constantly 'aware' of having numbness in my hands and feet.

I know it can be a symptom of something serious (as well as something not serious but being the kind of people we are, we tend to ignore that!) and so a little part of my conscienceness is always checking, even when I'm not aware of it.

For example, if I go to pick something up I'm checking whether or not I can 'feel' it.

The funny thing is that I always can! They're not actually numb and never have been, apart from the usual pins and needles anyone might get. It's all in my head and I'm learning to accept it.

Just a thought, I have once had numbness on my face around my eye and it turned out my prescription for my glasses had changed and my eye was straining, causing the numbness and also pain behind my eyes.
amarkb

Postby KYS » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:31 am

Ph wrote:Hi Katfish
Rather than having to speak his therapist put him in a relaxing trance and he visualised the moon coming to sit on his knee. This might sound crazy but his therapist was very sensitive and intuited what he needed. He had remarked on the beauty of the moon at the beginning of his session.

What a fabulous image.

Hi Katfish

When I first started suffering from severe anxiety when I was a student, I experienced a lot of numbness on my face. It would creep and move to different places, and sometimes felt as though it affected most of my head and face.

I think it was probably triggered by my mother having had a severe stroke a few months before. My father died of MS when I was a child, and the two things together made me obsess about getting neurological illnesses.

If it's any consolation, it will go away. There are a few occasions when you do need to be concerned about numbness in your body, but I'm not going to tell you in case it precipitates any more symptoms!!
KYS
Preferred Member

Postby scampo » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:02 pm

I get a rush of numbness and tingling in on the left side of my throat, lips and face but only when I have a full panic attack - fortunately few and far between. It always goes away reasonably quickly but is an awful sensation.
scampo

Postby billman » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:50 pm

I have been having this numbness in my left cheek and under my eye for the past few days. I also get some mild blurred vision in my left eye when this happens.
I am surprise to read that I am not the only one.

Do you think that Relaxation techniques, meditation, and exercise helps?

Cheers!
billman

Postby rurounijosie » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:37 am

I've been feeling a kind of numbness in my hands on and off. It's like a feeling that my hands are bigger than they are, its kinda hard to explain almost like theyre bloated. Its a scary feeling but im almost certain its from my anxiety. It still worries me though
rurounijosie

Postby WiREZTS » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:59 pm

It's a bit of a relief when you see something is related to anxiety isn't it lol...

I'm also a sufferer, 18 years old... Only had it about a year, started councilling a month ago... Just like a lot of you I think deeply all the time that I've got something seriously wrong with me... So badly that I debate getting brain scans and everything... But it started with the heart palpitations so I got my heart checked out and all was fine so I don't want to keep chasing the goose trying to find out what's wrong with me with every test and examination under the sun even though they're different symptoms in different places... What I do know is that I've been diagnosed with anxiety and I'm far more pleased with having that than I would be with alot of other things...

I just want to reassure myself that I'm all healthy etc.

Anyway, finding this forum you may have guessed I also suffer with the numb face thing... And like another person said I clench my jaw alot, I actually fractured it in two places in February so I doubt that helps...

But does any body find they go really distant when it happens? And twitchy etc...?
WiREZTS

Postby Chadpaq » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:59 pm

Wow, eery how similar all of this is. I have numbness in my left cheek and under my left eye, and am also a sufferer of anxiety and panic attacks. Good to know I'm not alone here!
Chadpaq

Next