I still cannot overcome my fear of a panic att. on ski lifts

Postby njrungirl » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:23 am

Hi, I suffered with panic disorder for about 6 years. It all started when I had a very bad experience with drugs in college and I swear, that one experience with bad pot just messed up my brain for a long time, causing bad panic disorder. I had never been an anxious person. I was a hypochondriac. I thought I was dying when I felt the symptoms of anxiety. When I came across a situation when I had an attack previously, I would immediately have fear another attack. I had a lot while driving. I would look out for hospitals just in case i became so anxious that I would stop breathing and need a hospital. I hid it well, though from others.

ANyway, I overcame my panic disorder almost completely, but there are still situations I have trouble with. I went to therapy and did not take any drugs to help with the anxiety. This was about 6 years or so ago. I got the courage to do a lot of things without much anxiety that I never thought I'd be able to overcome.

However, I am still haunted by it at times. I have trouble in meetings and watching shows, or in places where if I needed to really run out due to an attack I would get embarrassed.

My biggest fear is of ski lifts or anything that if I had a big attack I would not be able to escape. I got over my fear of airplanes a long time ago. But I still fear the ski lift. What if my panic disorder comes back and I need to get off the lift and I freak out and jump! Those are the ridiculous thoughts that go through my head. But with experience... I know I have never actually freaked out and did something so drastic. But I have had to run out of rooms on occassion and make up an excuse.

I'm scared because I am seriously dating a very good snowboarder . He knows I am active and adventurous but I have not told him about this fear of the lift. He keeps saying he wants to plan a ski trip. I want to ski . I want to do it, but I'm deadly afraid I will embarrass myself and get so nervous that I feel liek I need to jump off the ski lift!

How do I get over this fear? He is probably the ONLY one I think I can actually see myself getting the courage to get on this lift with. But once I am on it, there is not turning back. What if I freak out? Should I seek therapy for this before the ski season? I always miss out with friends skiing because I secretly have this fear stilll.. Help. THanks
njrungirl

Postby jurplesman » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:52 am

Hello njrungirl.

There are many theories concerning the causes of anxiety attacks. A popular theory is that anxiety attacks are learned responses to certain situations that are remembered and stored in the 'subconscious' mind.

I subscribe to a much simpler theory supported by much scientific evidence that anxiety attacks are caused by a sudden upsurge in adrenaline production in the body due to a condition related to Insulin Resistance, also known as hypoglycemia.

Insulin Resistance can cause an imbalance in the production of biological energy derived form glucose in food and with insulin resistance we have unstable blood sugar levels feeding the brain. When the brain senses energy starvation it will trigger the release of adrenaline and cortisol that are then experienced as irrational anxiety attacks.

Insulin resistance can be tested with Medical Test for Hypoglycemia. It can also be tested with a paper-and-pencil test called the NIB, although this may not be as accurate as the medical test.

As an immediate remedy to anxiety attacks you could try taking glycerine. This is a substance that is converted slowly in the liver (and not the pancreas) into glucose and should stop the erratic blood sugar levels and stress hormones.

But the ultimate solution is to treat the insulin resistance by going on a Hypoglycemic Diet

Here are some other sources: click here

Please discuss with your doctor or therapist familiar with Clinical Nutrition.
jurplesman

Postby satanstoystore » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:11 am

just out of curiosity...

"You're going skiing! you're taking a lift. you feel panic coming on."
If you had to describe that in a cartoon, what would it look like?

I swear I've asked a question like this a few times and no one seems to take me seriously. The reason for the question is it teaches me your thinking process. And most people are oblivious to their thinking process (me included) until it's actually described. So if you don't mind describing? (it could be fun :D )
satanstoystore
MVP
MVP

Postby rockette » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:54 pm

hiya, you overcame panic before, use the same tecnique that worked for overcoming your fear of planes, and all your other panic attacks,

i think you are so brave, to be a panic attack sufferer and to have flown, wow! i take my hat to you hun, i couldnt even think about flying, let alone do it.

i think you need to give yourself a huge pat on the back for what you have come through, and then take the same methods into overcoming your fear of the ski lifts.

i wish you all the best, and i know you can do it. take care xx :D
rockette
Preferred Member