Citalopram

Postby suemarieee » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:35 pm

Hi,
Could anyone offer me some positive views on citalopram? I have been prescribed it today for my panic attacks and anxiety. I have suffered from this for years and I have to do something about it becuase it doesnt go away on its own!
I keep reading these reviews with horrendous side effects, ive read the leaflet of side effects 20 times and im terrified of how they might make me feel. I am only on 10mg a day, so hopefully it wont be too heavy. Can you really not drink any alcohol on them? and the sex drive things a bit worrying too.
help me please, tell me it works....... Im too scared to take the 1st tablet!
suemarieee

Likes Received: 0

Postby philidgeidiot » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:30 pm

Im on 20mg of citalopram a day, the side effects are only listed because they have had reports of rare cases (ive just read my leaflet), side effects are normally uncommon. Take them, you will be fine. Ive been on them for a year, and they have helped me... As for the sex drive thing... I guess its down to the indidvidual who is taking them... Everyone gets a different effect...
Hope this helps.
philidgeidiot

Postby Traci » Fri Nov 25, 2005 10:26 pm

Hi there
I went on 20mg of citalopram 6 weeks ago for anxiety and depression, I had a few mild side effects for the first few days, mostly trouble with sleeping, but now my body is used to the tablets I feel like a new woman, I would definately say the mild side effects you may or may not experience in the early days are worth it. I have my sense of humour back again and I feel I am a better wife and definately a better mum, I have to say my sex drive has improved slightly since being on citalopram, I think because my anxiety and depression are getting better, everyones different. Please don't be afraid of taking your tablets, surely anythings better than feeling the way you do at the moment, but I would say that they do take a few weeks to kick in, be patient, its worth it in the end. Let us know how your getting on.
By the way, I have taken alcohol several times since being on the tablets and I haven't had any problems.

Traci
Traci

Postby alison4m » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:35 pm

Hi

I have been taking citalapram since March started on 20mg and have increased to 30mg, I know they are helping, I have not had any side effects and yes I do like to have a drink...

Are you getting any counselling? as this we also need I think.

Hope you get on well with citalapram would like to hear how you are doing...

Alison
alison4m

Postby suemarieee » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:09 pm

Thanks guys for putting my mind at rest! Its so helpful to hear how other people have got on with these drugs. Its nice to know they actually helped you too, I'd hate to think I was going through all this for nothing!

I have been on the tablets for 5 days now. The side effects haven't been too bad, i've been very tired and had headaches, and been a bit anxious and tearful but then thats probably just me worrying about the tablets and work and stuff, and not the tablets themselves! I have just been signed off work for another 2 weeks, so I can just relax and concentrate on getting better, although I keep worrying that they'll be really annoyed at work.

But the most important thing is getting better, and I am going to be having counselling and group therapy soon as well. If I actually get better it'll be amazing and I will do so many things that I couldnt do before.

Thanks for your help, and let me know how things go for you guys too, its so nice to be able to talk about these things. And I'm glad I can enjoy a glass of wine too!
Also, if you don't mind me asking, how did your partners cope with your anxiety? My boyfriends finding it really hard, he's being really supportive, but hes getting a bit down about it. He doesnt seem to really understand, although he is understanding. And he snaps at me sometimes cos he's fed up. And he said the other day that he was telling his mate about it at the pub cos he felt quite down, and I felt really guilty cos I didnt wanna upset him in all this. Its really hard, I just wanna get beter and be a fun girlfriend again!
suemarieee

Postby alison4m » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:32 pm

Hi Suemarieee

I am sure you will start to feel better soon, 5 days is NOT along time, I have increased my dose again and now start to feel the person i want to be again.

As for your boyfriend, it will be hard for him, my husband finds it really hard to understand he gets frustrated with me because i am so irrational (to him, perfectly rational in my state of mind).; The best thing i can think of is, If i had a broken leg, he wouldnt want me to walk anywhere, he would care for me and comfort me, if i had a broken arm he would do the same, but because i have a broken mind, he cant see an injury or physical pressence, so is very hard for him to comprehend,

please feel free to email, or pm me, i would like to hear how you are getting on. Please take the next two weeks to have time for your self, indulge in all the things you dont normally have timr to do because of work.

Alison x
alison4m

Postby suemarieee » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:27 pm

Hiya, thanks again guys fr your support. I had a fantastic day yesterday, i spent the day with my friend, we painted her house and then went shopping. It was great, i forgot all about my anxiety. I saw my bf in the evening, everything was great, i even thought maybe id be better to go back to work earlier!
But then today its all gone downhill again. I woke up feeling tired, then i started to feel anxious. My friend came round for a coffee, but i just wanted her to leave so that i could go back to bed. She went after a bout half an hour. Then i just felt exhausted, and I couldnt concentrate on anything, so i went back to bed for a bit. I felt really nervous and nearly phoned my dad up at work to beg him to come home. I feel a little less anxious now, but still too tired to do anything and have a headache.

I feel really down again now cos im scared that the drugs arent working and im never gonna feel well :( Ive been on them for a week now.
suemarieee

Postby shadabomb » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:26 pm

I am on Paxil and Xanax and it does not seem to have the same effect it did a year ago. I am going to ask my doctor about this medication since I have never heard of it.

Thanks
shadabomb

Postby alison4m » Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:57 am

Hi Suemarieee

Sorry to hear you had such a bad day yesterday, after feeling so good the day before, unfortunately this seems to be the normal pattern. Please give the citalopram time to get into your system, I was originally told it would take 4 - 6 weeks, I too had and am still having some "bad" days, but I am pleased to say that they are getting less and less, citalopram has no side effects with me and if it means I feel good I will stay on them forever. :(

I am also having some counselling which is a bit of a struggle to be honest, in theory I agree in but I am having difficulty putting things into practice.

Anyway please don't give up hope, things will improve you need time, and you will have a lot of support on here, this website I think is fantastic.

I hope today is a better day for you

Alison x
alison4m

Postby suemarieee » Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:46 pm

Hiya Alison
Yeah this website is great, all these people who understand exactly how I feel cos they have felt it themselves. Its so comforting to know I'm not alone, and that there are people who I really can talk to about it. It makes me realise that this is an illness i have, not just me going mad! And I need treatment.
Its just hard for me to face up to it and get treatment cos ive had the condition for 10 years now (since i was 13) and Ive learnt to ignore it and hope it goes away, but it never does and its stopping me from doing things. I guess after having it for so long, its hard to imagine ever feeling any different. But i know that ive only been on citalopram for a week and it takes a while to work, i just wana be better.
I just feel that ever since I started facing up to it and getting treatment Ive felt worse cos ive been more aware of it, and ive been signed off from work and stuff.
But I had a good day again today, i went shopping with mum. I think im better when im doing things. Its so weird tho how you have 'good days' and 'bad days'. I always used to find that at work, id have a really good day and feel on top of the world, and the next day wud be just the same work-wise, but id feel ill and panicky. its so weird, its like something just triggers in your brain for no reason.
Anway im gonna keep on with the pills cos they worked for u and for other people, so i have to keep trying!
When u increased the dose did u get side effects?
suemarieee

Postby CATHT » Wed Dec 07, 2005 2:05 am

SUEMARIE

HELLO I READ YOUR MESSAGES (SORRY I CANT GET THE CAPS OFF MY COMPUTER!) AND REALLY UNDERSTAND. IVE HAD PANICKY THOUHGTS, ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION AND WEIRD THOUGHTS FOR THE PAST FIVE YEARS. TRIED ALL SORTS OF ALTERNATIVE STUFF THOUGH I PROBABALY HAVENT STUCK WITH THEM LONG ENOUGH TO FEEL ANY BENEFIT, IF THEY WERE EVER GOING TO GIVE ME ANY OF COURSE.

HAVE BEEN AT THE OINT WHERE I JUST CANT COPE WITH THE FEELINGS SO WENT TO THE DOCTOR AGAIN AND ASKED FOR SOMETHING- I HAVE BEEN TOO SCARED TO TAKE PRESCRIPION STUFF BEFORE FO FEAR OF FEELING WORSE.

he prescribed (caps off working now!) citalopram today and i have done esactly what you have - read the side effects over and over and feel its too much of a risk so havent taken them yet. I am following your experience closely to see how you get on with them hopefully you will have a really positive expereince and this will i am sure make me feel confident about taking the plunge so keep writing to say how you are getting on. I really hope it works for you...and for me when i build up the courage to follow in your footsteps!
CATHT

Postby bj » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:21 pm

Hiya, i started taking citalopram 10 days ago (20mg) i have had a few side affects but nothing that i couldn't cope with. like you i had them for about two weeks before i built up the courage to take them, now theres no going back. i will keep you informed of the results.
bj

Postby CATHT » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:54 pm

thanks bj i look forward to hearing how you get on. Today i am really tired as didnt have much sleep and yet i feel really well mentall. its weird but its like i have to be really physically exhausted to cope so today i am full of hope again.

I am taking vit B and EPA. Read a book by a psychiatrist called professor Horribin who did some clinical studies on his patients with Schizophrenia and he found not only did EPA help with their symptoms but also helped with depression and other mental health problems. He says you have to take a particular strength and combination for up to thre months to see the full effects- 8 of these tablets a day! They dont work so well if you drink a lot or smoke and unfortunately i have done that to block out the panic but i have drastically cut back and am hoping they are of some benefit so i will also let you know how i get on with these too.
CATHT

Postby bj » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:06 pm

Catht, i will look forward to seeiing how you get on, but i hope like me you find it reasuring to know that you are not alone. lets keep in touch and help each other.
bj

Postby CATHT » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:48 am

BJ, YEP DEFINATELY. ITS JUST SUCH A RELIEF TO KNOW THERE ARE OTHERS OUT THERE SUFFERING THE SAME STUFF. IT KINDA MAKE ME FEEL LESS ALONE. CATCH YOU LATER
CATHT

Next