trouble breathing while eating

Discussions in anxiety, panic attacks, phobias and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Practical help for anxiety disorders.

Postby panic313 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:02 am

does anyone get this symptom. i feel like i am gasping for air sometimes while eating and after.
panic313

Postby toys » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:12 am

Yup, I used to get that too. I noticed that when ever I finished eating my heart would start to beat harder to supply blood to the stomach which is a normal reaction to the digestive system. As my heart beats harder my anxiety would start to kick in and then I would have difficulty breathing.

It's all in your head. :)
toys

Postby lmm23 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:48 am

I find this often. It is worse with sugary foods, and often my throat then tightens, my tongue tingles and I struggle to breath!
lmm23

Postby HighVoltage13 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:23 pm

I get that alot too, and then I have a choking sensation in my throat that pauses me from swallowing.[/list]
HighVoltage13

Postby bigpete87 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:35 am

me 3! well i used to have this symptom very often but now its rarely. when i eat something and right before swallowing the food, i feel like im gonna choke and cant breathe.
bigpete87

Postby lindylee » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:28 am

Me 4, I also feel like I am gasping for breath when I eat and the more I am aware of it the worse it becomes, I am still a piggy though.

Lindy-Lee
lindylee

Postby Yangedd » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:38 pm

I often get that too. I think it's got something to do with Anxiety. I usually feel like I am going to have a panic attack and choke when I am eating and find that it always happens when I am really stressed
Yangedd

Postby Oxygen » Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:15 pm

I have this too, may be even mcuh servere than some.. I have a bite, try to swallow - but NO! wait for a Sigh-like deep breath into my upper chest, got he oxygen? Ok, now I swallow, a bit quickly though as I may run out of breath... Now, I used to get this only when I was eating and sometimes when stressed... Funny enough - and I don't want to scare anyone - I'm breathing like this, deep into my upper chest, all day (Hyperventilation!!!... Is something worng with my Respiratory System? don't think so. Because when I'm relaxed or try to do some breathing exercise I'm fine.. SO it must be, or by and large, caused by anxiety... We have to discuss this further.. All the best
Oxygen

Postby kaitmcmen610 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:24 am

I have had a similar problem lately. After I eat a meal or randomly in the day, my throat feels like its starting to close up and I can't breathe, but i really can. Sometimes I start feeling a little lightheaded. I can't tell if this is all my imagination or if there is something wrong with me. I'm thinking its some sort of virus or allergy?
kaitmcmen610

Postby Jay_W » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:01 am

Not so much with breathing but my heart would beat fast after finishing a meal. Oddly, it doesn't really happen now I quit smoking.
Jay_W

Postby lisascritti » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:37 pm

[quote="Oxygen"]I have this too, may be even mcuh servere than some.. I have a bite, try to swallow - but NO! wait for a Sigh-like deep breath into my upper chest, got he oxygen? Ok, now I swallow, a bit quickly though as I may run out of breath... Now, I used to get this only when I was eating and sometimes when stressed... Funny enough - and I don't want to scare anyone - I'm breathing like this, deep into my upper chest, all day (Hyperventilation!!!... Is something worng with my Respiratory System? don't think so. Because when I'm relaxed or try to do some breathing exercise I'm fine.. SO it must be, or by and large, caused by anxiety... We have to discuss this further.. All the best[/quote]
yes, i do EXACTLY the same thing when i'm eating, take a deep breath and swallow quick before i run out of breath!
lisascritti

Postby esselle » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:27 pm

I feel this way too, I feel totally out of breath when I am chewing my food! it's awful and it intensifies my anxiety.
esselle
MVP
MVP

Postby StephanieSays » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:05 pm

Does anyone ever get trouble breathing specifically when eating carbohydrate type foods like bread?

I'm not sure this really relates to psychology, but I often wonder what this problem is, seeing as it can't be anxiety or anything.
StephanieSays

Postby premashok » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:59 pm

Oxygen wrote:I have this too, may be even mcuh servere than some.. I have a bite, try to swallow - but NO! wait for a Sigh-like deep breath into my upper chest, got he oxygen? Ok, now I swallow, a bit quickly though as I may run out of breath... Now, I used to get this only when I was eating and sometimes when stressed... Funny enough - and I don't want to scare anyone - I'm breathing like this, deep into my upper chest, all day (Hyperventilation!!!... Is something worng with my Respiratory System? don't think so. Because when I'm relaxed or try to do some breathing exercise I'm fine.. SO it must be, or by and large, caused by anxiety... We have to discuss this further.. All the best

I am also having the same above issue can you suggest some remedy
premashok

Postby JeremyC » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:11 pm

I had that at one point and occasionally it comes back.

Avoid sugary foods, eat several smaller meals, and eat with good, humorous company. Laugh while you eat!

What will happen is eventually your mind will get the hint that eating is completely safe and will no longer trigger your fearful unconcious mind. The you'll only get it when you think back to... "remember when I used to have trouble breathing when I ate".

This would also probably be a target area hypnosis might be good for.

It does go away with time. Laugh it away.
JeremyC

Next

Return to Anxiety and Panic Attacks