I want to quit smoking weed. I just want it to end!!!!

Postby Jayman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:36 pm

I started smoking weed when I was 16 years old. I am now 23 and I'm still hooked. I thought that I would eventually just grow out of it, but boy was i wrong. I just recently graduated college and I just want it to end. I am a very smart kid, but I don't feel comfortable going to work in a professinal enviroment knowing i have this problem. It is effecting my communication skills and I'm very depressed about it. I've been able to cut back, but i just need to cut it out of my life. I hate the feeling of feeling like i want to get high. I'm so f***in tired of it, but it just has a hold of me. I want help but i don't know where to turn. Should I tell my parents???? I need to do something because it is killing me inside. Most of my friends are like your so smart you graduated college you have a good job what are you worried about. I'm losing my drive and like i said my communication skills are paying the price too. I know that smoking weed is bad and all of the affects that they say you will have i do. I need support please talk to me!!!
Jayman

Likes Received: 0

Postby Rob » Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:18 pm

Hi there..
What you are expressing...this torn feeling...is all part of the gig.
At 23 you are in great shape to work and communicate.
Weed does all the things you describe (to some of us) and a quit will rapidly alter your outlook.
There is a price to pay as with anything.

For me it would be the end of the day...the unwind...this is where it hurts and obviously the free time of the weekends.

Opinion here is devided on addiction and weed...but too me there is a chemical problem (lots to learn here about that) and to a larger extend the psycho stuff...the 'life is more bareable with a spliff' and its variations.

So in truth it takes twenty days minimum to break down a few of these walls...but then you are up and running.
And a real surge of pride hits for a while and will carry you through for some time.
Later there are other problems perhaps...five months saw me back onto the roll ups!!!!
So now I have another quit still due...like weeks ago!
Great to have you here and don't panick!!!!
You need to straighten out a little for work and for your own self belief thats all..
Rob
Rob
Preferred Member

Postby tarrantx » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:50 pm

The anger and frustration you are experiencing is indeed part of the process, and it's a good sign in itself. However, some people sit in this state permamently because, as much as they hate it, they convince themselves that they have no control, lack willpower etc. Quitting can be as easy as just stopping, or it can be an extended process of stopping, starting, stopping, starting... Regardless, the important thing is not to beat up on yourself for it. Regardless of how bad you feel, don't con yourself into thinking you can't quit, cause then you really will be defeated by it.

Some people advocate cutting down, but I personally believe in going cold turkey. How tough are you? How fed up are you? Seeing as you've finished university, I'm assuming you've been through difficult and stresfull periods that a lot of other people would freak out at, so I'd assume you're definitely strong enough to do this. A no tolerance approach is the fastest and most direct way of quitting. If you wanna give it a go, this is what I'd recommend: take a few deep breaths, then throw out your stash, throw out your bong, pipe and all your implements, delete your dealer's phone number, stop hanging out with your weed smoking friends for a while, don't replace weed with booze, and don't set yourself up for any other significant challenges. Pay close attention to your anger, as you'll probably become quite cranky, but try to remember that it's the withdrawls more than it is the people that are annoying you. Accept the fact that you might have bad dreams, trouble sleeping, sweats, loss of appetite, clumsiness, and trouble staying focussed on things - this is all temporary. Eat and drink food that you enjoy, but try not to eat too much junk food (I did a lot of smoothies - easy to get down and filling). Drink lemon water and eat brown rice and fruit to help detox your system. Do things you enjoy, even compulsively if you have to, but try not to watch too much TV. If you sit passively in front of a screen for too long, you may notice a stronger urge to use after you turn it off. Try to stay interested in things - keep reading, using the computer, doing hobbies you enjoy etc. When you have thoughts about using again, tell them "NO!" Don't entertain them or you will pick up. Be good company to yourself. Tell yourself that you're a good person, for no other reason other than it makes you feel good. Don't entertain any self-deprecating thoughts - they will only work against you and make quitting harder. If you try and surround yourself with people as a distraction, you will probably feel more lonely than if you kept focussed on yourself. Tell your parents if you want to, but only if you think they'll be supportive. Don't bother telling/talking to anyone who is not going to say positive things about it - they'll just make it harder. But do tell someone, even if it's just people here - don't do it completely alone.

After a few days you'll feel brighter and clearer. After a week it'll get a bit easier. Then after two weeks it'll get easier again, and so on. Be prepared for hard moments though. There will be times that you want to give up, and there will be times when it just feels too hard. Remember, these are just feelings, they're not reality. It's not too hard, and nvever will be. Always remember that, as bad as you feel, this is as bad as it can get WITHOUT drugs. Inevitably, going back to using will make you feel worse, either in the short or long term. So, when you feel really bad, try and step back and remember that this is it, this is as bad as it can get, it's not going to get any worse than this, so you can still deal with it.

After the initial phase is over, you won't feel the desire to use as much, but you will still have challenges. The main one is learning new coping mechanisms, or relearning old ones. Weed has been something for you to fall back on in times of stress. You won't have that anymore, so you'll have to work at new strategies for dealing with things - this is part of the longer process though, and not immedietely relevant. Just remember that, if you feel like you can't cope with life without weed, it just means you have to find new ways of coping. Everyone has to do this, not just drug users. In reality, everyone has good days and bad days, so when you have a bad day, remember that straight people have them too, and they don't go home and smoke weed to deal with it. Pain is a part of life, so remember the following:

Q: Do drug-dependent people have a "chicken" attitude to pain?

A: Only the ones who continue to use.

The fear and anxiety only lessens after you stop. It won't be too long before you're dealing with things much easier than you did when you were smoking, and you'll feel stronger and more capable of dealing with life. Good luck. You can do it, I know you can.

And if you should relapse, remember that a relapse does not reset the clock. You don't have to go back and start counting from day 1. For every day that you are clean you are building up time and getting better at it. One moment of indescretion won't ruin all the work that you've done up to that point. If you relapse, remember to re-establish your priorities before you go to sleep that night, and pick up with the abstinence plan as soon as you wake up the next day.

It's a workable plan, trust me. :wink:
tarrantx

Postby PeggyJenna » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:08 am

Very good what you just wrote..I stopped for 6 days after four years..
it has been two weeks since, and I guess you could say I've been gathering strength..this is absolutely accurate what you wrote, even in the first six days there was something different that compensated. When I gave into the fear on the sixth day, I knew I would try again. And so, we stand up again.
Thanks for what you wrote.
PeggyJenna

Postby tarrantx » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:44 am

PeggyJenna wrote: I guess you could say I've been gathering strength.

I'm sure you ARE gathering strength PeggyJenna. You don't have to guess. One of the things I learned is that "guessing," "hoping," "wishing," etc., are subtle ways of putting ourselves down. Making definite statements feels a lot better. For instance, you can say "i'm going to quit ," or you can say "hopefully I'm going to quit." By saying "hopefully" one gives themself a way out, as well as subtely suggesting a lack of confidence in themself. It really doesn't matter if the statement ends up being true, because that's in the future, whereas how you feel about yourself is in the now. Maybe I'm nittpicking, but we all have subtle ways of sabotaging ourselves. When I tried leaving little things like that out of what I said, I very quickly became more confident about myself, and it helped remove a lot of the unhelpful garbage that I carry around in my head. You're obviously very close to quitting 8)
tarrantx

Postby PeggyJenna » Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:12 am

Yes; today is the last day
PeggyJenna

Postby Rob » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:31 am

And for me my tobacco quit is begun again!
Rob
Preferred Member

Postby Izabell » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi
You know what ,from what you said I think you should avoid the people who tells you that you dont have a problem and you have nothjing to worry about. Of course you do have a lot of thing to worry about. You said your communication skills are worse and you depressed. I think it is a problem sooner or lated iot will effect your job and its look like you have a very good job . I dont know your parrents so I ma not sure if you can tell them or not . If they are understanding people they will help you but if they are not they might put you down . I dont know . I told my grandma because I new she would understand and I was right . It helped to have someone who doesnt smoke and still accept you as you are and love you .
I was smoking for 7 years and I quit. I told myself this is my life , my body I am going to take care of it . I am not going to let a weed to control me and make me suffer .
Afetr I quit I suffer from depression and anxiety . It was hard. I was using Clarity Osoba . It helped me a lot with the withdrawals .
Now I am free .
If you want to know some more about it please go on www.stopsmokingweed.com

Good luck and I really hope you will take control over YOUR LIFE
Izabell

Postby tarrantx » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:53 pm

Hi, my name is Tarrantx. I read what you wrote Izabell, and I'd say you are Nomar, or perhaps a relative of their's. The two fo you seem very similar, but I can't quite put my finger on it...hmmm. Perhaps this quote will help jog my memory:

"You dont have to endure the years of pain I did......QUIT NOW....

www.stopsmokingweed.com

Thanks all!!

Nomar"

Oh, that's right, it's that damn website that both of you keep posting everywhere. Now, I wonder, you wouldn't be trying to make money out of the people here, would you? You wouldn't be preying on people during a difficult and impressionable time in their lives, would you? Now that wouldn't be very nice of you now, would it?

Sincerity doesn't come with a price tag. Don't force me to do this evertime you post.
tarrantx

Postby cc girl » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:55 pm

I am right there with you. I am 38 and have been smoking since 15. I haven't smoked for 6 days (other than a few hits of resin just to wean me i guess.) so,this is long for me. Considering i smoked constantly. I don't have much advice for you since it seems we are both feeling the same way. I do know weed has definitely affected my personality. I only stopped because my guy is dry. Although it has been heavily weighing on my mind to quit anyway. I have developed social anxiety,paranoia,and severe depression from weed! I am going to a psycologist for the first time today. Right now i am very weak. When i try to justify that a lot of people can be succesful and still smoke it makes me want to run to the bowl! I just keep reminding myself that even though that may be true it still is causing lots of harm. I am really f*** up about this now . But i know it is best for me . The hardest part for me is everything is boring now. Since i smoked before i did anything. I took it with me while driving and basically thought i ca'nt function without it and still think that way ,but i am not a person who does anything in moderation! I do not drink or do any other drugs and i am scared i may replace this habit with another! Well anything i can help you with i am there! please post me back. Thanks good luck on the challenge ahead.
cc girl

Postby svonk » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:26 pm

Group therapy is a comforting and enlightening experience. It's like this board but meeting in the flesh and blood is a lot more complex and nuanced. The simple act of talking honestly about your experiences out loud with other people in a safe environment is honestly one of my most profound life experiences. I haven't looked at people the same way since I did group a few years ago. On the bus. At the train station. At work. Practically everyone is dealing with stuff. Everyone. At levels that would shock and dismay. We're all in this together.
svonk

Postby scorpio_queen » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:40 pm

[size=9]Ive smoked everyday for the past ten years, and i never once tried quitting cause i didnt see anything wrong with it, it made me feel good when i was down and it really helped me sleep. I would anticipate coming home from work just so i could smoke my joint. I would stay home and chill with my smoking friends and pratically do nothing and i was happy like that. I felt like it was the great life. I never wanted to quit...but not along ago i realized how much pot was holding me back from accomplishing my goals, i was lazy all the time, when my job would call to work last minute, i had to say no, cause i was already stoned. I always had an excuse to smoke and im so freaken sick of it. I quit cold turkey 2 days ago and yesterday was really hard for me,I started realizing a whole bunch of things, I wasnt living in reality, i would deal with my emotions by smoking pot and now its like as if all thoses emotions from the past ten years are coming out and i have to deal with it sober. Its hard,but at the same time it feels so good, cause i know im doing the right thing, im doing it for myself and so i can find real happiness and not just a cover up. Although i havent slept in the past 2 days and im getting migraines and im really emotional and just feel like crying, i feel like its the best thing ive ever done.Never ever would i have thought i could go 48 hours without smoking, but i did, and im so proud of myself for having the willpower to stop. I dont crave a joint, i dont miss the high it gave me, i dont care if i dont sleep for the next month,i just want to get my life back and start doing all the things ive always wanted to do ,but didnt do cause i was always stoned. I can do this and i will not give up,just have to take it one day at a time and use creative ways to get all my emotions out. I think the hardest part about quitting is waking up to reality and dealing with it.
scorpio_queen