Marijuana and Cipralex

Discussions in anxiety, panic attacks, phobias and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Practical help for anxiety disorders.

Postby Mike1234Mike » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:32 pm

I recently began taking Cipralex after Remerol almost sent me to the loony bin.I began having panic attacks about a month ago after smoking marijuana.Before the panic attack I had gone through a tough day where some kids tried to stab me for my wallet.(Luckily I could run faster than them.)These panic attacks seem to come on after supper and can sometimes have me edgy for up to a day.The doctor prescribed Remerol to me which gave me real weird feelings and headaches.My friends had to take me to the hospital because i was freaking out.I am now starting to take Cipralex(just started today.) my question I guess is are my anxiety attacks probably from the weed or does the weed which causes paranoia trigger the anxiety.I am a 21 year old male who has smoked weed chronically for over 8 years.I also smoke cigarretes but have recently cut down dramatically.
I know this paragraph is kinda garbled but I cant seem to concentrate since getting these attacks.

My other question is will weed and the Cipralex react with each other?
Mike1234Mike

Postby DuncanM » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:06 am

Hi Mike,

Sounds like you're having a pretty rough time at the moment, im sorry to hear that. I've suffered from depression for a few years and panic attacks more recently. I used to smoke a lot of weed up until a few years ago when it made me extremely anxious and parannoid. In relation to your question, im not qualified to answer with any authority although i am aware of many studies that have shown a strong link with weed smoking and negative impact on mental health; particularly anxiety, parannoid feelings and depression. I personally don't touch it any more because i hate the feeling of parannoia it gives me.

I don't think that smoking it with Cipralex is a great idea, especially for the first week or 2 when it is balancing out in your body. Im sure you've been told that you may feel unusual and the symptoms might get worse before they get better. Until then, it's probably best to give your body a break.

It really does get better, although at times you may feel otherwise.

I hope that this helps you, i'm also curious to hear what others have to say regarding mixing the Cipralex.

Take care,

Duncan
DuncanM

Postby Mike1234Mike » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:50 am

I am also wondering if these panic attacks could maybe be just from smoking weed for too long.(I feel fine when I take diazapam but they told me I can only take it for a few weeks.)
Mike1234Mike

Postby Rockbessie » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:53 pm

HI Mike

Duncan is right - better lay off the weed! There is a connection between it and problems such as depression / anxiety etc. You should try to cut it out completely. I am on Citalopram (Cipralex) and it really does help but I have cut out the drink (which I loved!) to make sure nothing interferes with it. I have been on it 5 weeks and it started having some sort of positive effect after about 4. I had diazapam too which got me through the first two weeks of Citalopram which were really bad for me with side effects although they have settled now and most people have few or no side effects with Cipralex. I don't need diazapam any more and I haven't had a panic attack for almost three weeks. I hope this helps but really do stop smoking - it really will not help and may negate the effect of the Cipralex.
Rockbessie
Preferred Member

Postby Mike1234Mike » Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 am

Yeah im taking 1/4 of a 10 mg pill but they dont split well into quarters so i end up with alot of powder.I just try to get 3 quarters out of a pill.The diazapam ive been taking gives me the take more now junkie feel so im trying to avoid it.I didnt feel that bad today as far as the Cipralex goes(Maybe the low dose)but I was high anxiety as usual.My only real problem with the feeling is it can get me feeling real aggressive.Fight or Flight I think they called it.The chest pains and rest of the crap is just a pain I dont need.The blurry vision dizziness part of it is killing me at work but whatever if my boss fires me I'll just kick his donkey(just kidding).Really im just writing this to get my story out there in case anybody needs to relate to something.

I am a 21 year old male who has taken good care of himself over the years(Except for the weed and a few other things in my early teens).I now feel like I cant even control my brain or organs.The funniest part of it is none of it's real it's all some psycho-somatic bs.Now im taking some medicine that who knows what it really does.Best I can figure it's just all the worrying over the stupid things i've done in my life or the life threatening situations I've endured.I'm not scared of thugs,bears or weapons but not having control freaks me out.Well I should probably end this speel before I start going on about how I hate my mother or something.
Mike1234Mike

Postby hypoxora » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:14 am

Mike1234Mike wrote:....... I start going on about how I hate my mother or something.

Hi Mike,

Cannabis also gave me a major panic attack-- it just 'revealed' the fear I 'd been carrying inside me for a long time....
I am sorry it does not work between you and your mum, anger and fear certainly contribute to the fight and flight response .
hypoxora

Postby Rockbessie » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi Mike

Just try and focus on how you will feel when the anxiety lifts - its like the curtains are being drawn back and you can see the sun again. You are great being able to work - I have been off with this for two months and thought that I would never recover although I am starting to feel a bit better now. I never thought i would appreciate feeling half normal so much. Stick with the Cipralex - it helped me and I hope it helps you - its worth a go anyway.
Rockbessie
Preferred Member

Postby bubble » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:04 pm

hi mike :D
i am also taking 10mg of ciprelax for anxiety and pa' i also smoke weed and have done for 9 years! (havin 1 now!) i wouldn't reccomend smokin in the 1st couple of weeks on ciprelax as they make you feel worse b 4 better worth riding it out though. i found it easy to cut down on the weed purley because i can only smoke a few b 4 bed now any other time it would muller me now and i used to smoke alot!!
i would like to think its totally blameless but i cant help thinking its involved somewhere down the line. SHAME! it does relax me though and not make me feel anxious thankfully!
i have a great doctor so felt i was able to talk to him about my smoking he didnt seem to put it soley down to the pot, maybe you could talk to yours? or just try and cut down untill you can establish what started the pa' in the 1st place, maybe you need to stop 4 a while?
the tablets are great and have worked wonders 4 me i can actually go in to the outside world!
whatever you do good luck and remember i KNOW what your going through.
in a way its nice to know theres someone in EXACTLY the same situation.
take care
hayley
bubble

Postby Mike1234Mike » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:36 am

Yeah thanks alot for the responses good to see im not the only one in this situation.I have been feeling better last couple days even though Ive still been smoking weed just a lot less.I havent been taking the Diazapam because it gives me a weird feeling.Thankfully I have a female friend who helps me get the stuff off my mind.I also have cut out caffeine.I do have another question regarding anxiety and violence though.

Is someone who is involved and exposed to alot of violence more prone to anxiety and panic attacs?
Mike1234Mike

Postby hypoxora » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:14 pm

Mike1234Mike wrote:Yeah thanks alot for the responses good to see im not the only one in this situation.I have been feeling better last couple days even though Ive still been smoking weed just a lot less.I havent been taking the Diazapam because it gives me a weird feeling.Thankfully I have a female friend who helps me get the stuff off my mind.I also have cut out caffeine.I do have another question regarding anxiety and violence though.

Is someone who is involved and exposed to alot of violence more prone to anxiety and panic attacs?

Hi Mike,

good that you 've reduced the ammount of caffeine.
Yes, if somebody is exposed to a lot of violence he is also exposed to anger, frustration, fear, contempt etc as adrenaline is produced above your kidneys responsible for the fight and flight response.
What do you do to relax?
hypoxora

Postby Mike1234Mike » Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:44 pm

I dont really relax thats the problem.It's just so much stuff has happened in the last half year that I just feel like killing somebody(not really but close.)It just seems everything nowadays aggravates the hell outta me.All my close friends think im going crazy and these damn anxiety attacks dont help.I guess coming here and spilling my guts helps a little as you guys give soem good advice.

Thanks Everyone :)

P.S. I have been hitting a heavy bag to release some anger seems to work well.
Mike1234Mike

Postby jurplesman » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:40 am

Mike1234Mike wrote:I am now starting to take Cipralex(just started today.) my question I guess is are my anxiety attacks probably from the weed or does the weed which causes paranoia trigger the anxiety.I am a 21 year old male who has smoked weed chronically for over 8 years.

My only real problem with the feeling is it can get me feeling real aggressive.Fight or Flight I think they called it.The chest pains and rest of the crap is just a pain I dont need.The blurry vision dizziness part of it is killing me at work but whatever if my boss fires me I'll just kick his donkey(just kidding).Really im just writing this to get my story out there in case anybody needs to relate to something.

People smoking pot and enjoying it, probably suffer from a metabolic disorder that existed before taking up marijuana. The weed is being used like any other psychotropic drug to deal with an inner biological abnormality that causes people to be anxious and depressed.

Most people addicted to drugs, have been found to be hypoglycemic, according to a four hour Medical Test for Hypoglycemia. Family members who may not have been smoking pot are usually also found to be hypoglycemic. Thus there seems to be genetic predisposition towards depression, anxiety and addiction.

Most addictions whether to alcohol, heroin or cocaine have this in common that addicted people have problems manufacturing the feel good neurotransmitters such as serotonin.

Studies have shown that people who have problems producing sufficient biological energy in the form of ATP lack the necessary energy to produce serotonin.

This is due to Insulin Resistance, which leads to the Hypoglycemic syndrome.

The first step in treatment is to overcome the biological abnormality by going on a Hypoglycemic Diet under the supervision of a Clinical Nutritionist

In most cases this can be followed up by a course in psychotherapy.
Last edited by jurplesman on Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
jurplesman

Postby Mike1234Mike » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:51 pm

Yeah it takes money go on those diets and hire headdoctors and such.I am a 21 year old who barely makes it by.I cannot afford to go to a therapist and i have no medical coverage whatsoever.Thanks though for a medical opinion to consider.
Mike1234Mike

Postby hypoxora » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:58 pm

Hi Mike,

it would be worth to check the sources of carbs yo are getting. It may help to make you feel better.

Hypo
hypoxora

Postby Mike1234Mike » Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:48 pm

Yeah I eat alot of carbs and not many vegetables.My weekly diet consists of Hash browns,macaroni,tacos,vector cereal,reeses cereal,orange juice,chocolate milk,spaghetti and thats about it.I dont eat fish or many vegetables.Mostly tomatoes and celery and carrots.I also only eat oranges and bananas for fruit.
Mike1234Mike

Next