WHAT IS GOING WITH ME, I JUST CAN'T STOP SLEEPING?

Psychology-related discussions or questions that don't fit neatly into any other forum.

Postby BEAUTY » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:47 am

I usually use to sleep for 8 hours a day, but now i sleep longer than that, for example i slept on saturday for 13 hours. Sometimes i sleep when i'm not even tired, my eyes just start to sting and ache and the only way to stop my eyes from stinging, is by closing it and sleeping.
I do not understand what is going on here, i am a student and i need help. Please could someone explain why i just keep falling asleep even if i have already slept for long hours in that day.

<Edited by Site Admin to remove capitals>
BEAUTY

Postby traficante » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:53 am

Hi, Beauty!

I think you are just tired. Maybe you've lost a couple of nights studying or maybe you've slept too little for 5 days in a row.
You should just chill out for a while, let the worries go and try for at least 3 days to get to sleep before 11 pm (I know it's hard to do that during college). Wake up at 8. You'll regain your energy.
traficante

Postby bpst » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:02 pm

I can almost bet that doing some exercise may help.
Go for a swim, if not a run.
Exercise is amazing on how much better it can make you feel.
bpst

Postby Cher » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:34 pm

I used to sleep all day if I had no motivation, no need to get out of bed, and when I felt down.

I agree exercise would help, even if its 'just' a 10 minutes walk.

Have you got things to get out of bed for, things to do? Apart from studying I mean, which is of course important, but you also need you time and to do things that will make you feel good and positive and therefore maybe help you feel relaxed.

A regular sleep pattern will help, going to bed at the same time each night and getting up at the same time in the morning, dont sleep in and try to avoid napping in the afternoon, that was one of my things and then I'd wonder why I was still up at 2am :wink:

Hope this helps a bit and good luck :)
Cher

Postby Katia » Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:05 pm

Have you changed something in your diet? Maybe you need some vitamins to boost your immune system.
Katia

Postby megan » Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:34 pm

I used to sleep a lot when I was depressed too, either that or I couldnt sleep at all!

Its usually diet or emotional - best to get checked out with your doctor
megan

Postby missingno » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:49 pm

Eat different foods that get your energy levels up.

I don't really recommend it, but you could drink more coffee & start smoking!
missingno

Postby angrywife » Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:51 pm

Sleep and appetite are two things that can increase as much as you let them.

Make sure you eat healthy food, including carbs to get you thru your day with energy. And exercise/or stay active as much as you can. It takes a special effort to do this. As a student, perhaps you tend to sit all day in class, and then at your computer desk at home...

Make sure you get 8 hours of sleep each night, and eat well.
When you are studying, take a break every now and then, do a little stretching, let your eyes wander to the lawn outside, etc.

If your eyes feel like they are strained, perhaps you need to see an eye doctor, sometimes thats the only indication you have that you need glasses.

And yes, every now and then, its fine to sleep in on weekend mornings, a little extra rest can sometimes be just what you need!
angrywife

Postby patrick j mcnicholas » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:45 am

a little late but have yourself checked out by your g.p. do ou drink a lot of fluids constantly,are you anemic,have you something wrong with your blood
are you diabetic so many things could be wrong
patrick j mcnicholas
Preferred Member

Postby theonerester » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:40 am

i had the same problem when i was depressed
theonerester

Postby bozone » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:07 pm

Come back to us beauty, how are things going after 3 weeks?
Being a student is a very very hard emotionally. Depressed or not. I think your body was trying to tell you something. Have you been able to take some time off or do other things?
Boz
bozone

Postby Cindy Canning » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:04 pm

Hey there Beauty.

I have the same problem. I LOVE sleep. I'm not even afraid to die because death with be the ultimate nap! lol My doctor suggested a "therapy sun lamp". It tricks your body into thinking you are getting sunlight and it regulates your metabolism. I have had SOME success with it. Just my 2 cents worth. My heart goes out to you. Take care. Hope to hear from you soon.
Cindy Canning