Always feel my heart beat.....

Discussions in anxiety, panic attacks, phobias and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Practical help for anxiety disorders.

Postby Gar1983 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:38 am

Hey, I.m new to this forum, im a 22 year old male from Los Angeles, i was wondering if anyone else feels this way, i can feel my heart always in my chest, about 90% of the time i can feel it, or am aware of it, it sometimes drives me crazy, when i sit down and stand up my heart rate increases by a large amount, maybe from 70-120 just by standing up, while im standing it beats fast as well, i have had an echo done and my doc says i have mild Mitral Valve Prolapse, but he says that MVP is nothing, and it preety much doesnt exist people make it a bigger deal then it is, but im not sure if this is from my mild MVP or from anxiety/panic, feeling my heart stresses me out, and sometimes i feel like im running out of breath, because that i am so aware of my heart beat i have been having panic attacks, and anxiety problems, because i think if i go out, something might happen and i might faint or fall, ekg's show my heart beating normal, no irregular beats.....i also have the tightness in the throat, and i think its from anxiety, because tums and pepcid ac do not help, umm...what else..also my nose glands are swollen most of the time wich makes it hard to breathe, my doc said that shouldnt be affecting your heart beat, sorry for typing so much, any help and advice would be much apreciated, thank you.
Gar1983

Postby rossgirl » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:04 pm

Hi,
I too have suffered from this, I was constantly aware of my heart beating all of the time, so every acceleration, decceleration, bump and thump bothered me. ( I am talking about this in the past tense as it is just beginning to go away!) I have been getting panic attacks for the last five months or so, out of the blue, and they manifested themselves in this way, my heart speeded up because of the panic, and because I was so acutely aware of it, I panicked more, thinking I was going to have a heart attack....a vicious circle. Went to accident and emergency dept many times, each time to be told my heart was fine and completely healthy, just going a little too fast, caused by, guess what, anxiety.
I couldn't get off to sleep as I could hear my heart beating so loudly in my ears, and spent all day nervously timing it checking its rate. But after being told by my cardiologist all was fine and to stop winding myself up about it, I have been able to talk myself out of the panic.
Yes, you may have a slight MVP, so have many people and they are not even aware of it.Everyone has accelerationsand deccelerations of their heart rate on moving around, they are just not as over-aware as you and I. Your doctor has told you there is nothing to worry about, so believe him, and live your life! You are only young, you have so much to look forward to, don't let this take over as I did. It can bring you, and everyone around you down, don't let it. Your heart is extremely resilient, remember that when you hear it beating, it's reminding you that you are fit and healthy, and alive!!

I hope that you can find the strength, as I have to move on. I hope that you will find some comfort from these forums, I certainly did.
rossgirl

Postby Gar1983 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:09 pm

Hey, thanks alot for your advice, i will try that, but it seems like i can see my pulse, if i lay on my stomach i can see my stomach move up and down, my adams apple even has a pulse, my pulse just seems to be very strong, i dont know if thats normal?
Gar1983

Postby Rockbessie » Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:19 pm

HI gar

Are you thin? If you are its really normal to see pulses - my sister is very thin and you can see her heart beating away - believe me it doesn't bother her! It's difficult to break the habit of being frightened - Rossgirl is right that you have been checked out and you are fine - It is just you have a heightened sensitivity to the beats at the minute. Keep busy and also follow a relaxation program - get a relaxation tape. Cut out caffiene and too much alcohol - and no smoking - all of that should help you. I wish you the very best of luck - I know how unpleasant these feelings are.
Rockbessie
Preferred Member

Postby Gar1983 » Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:50 am

Thanks alot for the reply's guys, yeah its stuck in my head, for like 2 years now, im about 5'5 125 pounds and yeah i see my heart beating from my neck to my fingers to my chest, i can see and feel my heart beating, most of the time, i hope these problems and my state of mind would change, its really affecting my life, i feel like im half the person i was 2 years ago :(
Gar1983

Postby starbella23 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:06 am

Gar1983 wrote:Thanks alot for the reply's guys, yeah its stuck in my head, for like 2 years now, im about 5'5 125 pounds and yeah i see my heart beating from my neck to my fingers to my chest, i can see and feel my heart beating, most of the time, i hope these problems and my state of mind would change, its really affecting my life, i feel like im half the person i was 2 years ago :(

you have developed an anxiety disorder. you need to talk to a Doctor about anti-anxiety medication. Ask them to put you ona low dose of an anti-anxiety pill you will take twice a day.

You could be subconsciously worried about your health/heart other thigs which could cause you to be CONSCIOUSLY awareof your heartbeat which is not right. It is not a good feeling. ive dealt with it for a year, and finally figured it out through a SMART doctor.

I have been on Clonazepan for a week and I am getting MUCH better. He said the "awareness of your heartbeat" should disappear.

thing is, beacause I have been aware of my heartbeat for so long I got used to it...when it started to disappear and i couldnt feel it beating, i started having an anxiety attack. So dont worry, YOULL BE OKAY!!!!!!

JUST RELAX. hope this helps.

email me at starbella23@yahoo.com if you have any other questions.
starbella23

Postby starbella23 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:11 am

see post below
Last edited by starbella23 on Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
starbella23

Postby starbella23 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:11 am

Also, dont listen to Doctors that say "deal with it"
Thats easy for THEM to say. Go to a GOOD doctor who will evaulate you physically and mentally. Not just test your heart through EKG and tell you you are fine and send you on your way.

If you can feel your heart all the time, IT IS NOT RIGHT. You are not supposed to...

I had a doctor tell me "Be thankful, you know you're alive".
Now that I know what the problem is...I wanna go back and yell at him for brushing me off..a swell as all the other doctors who didnt know what to do.

If they have run tests on your heart and it says everything is FINE, its ANXIETY related people. GO SEE A PSYCHOLOGIST.
starbella23

Postby lokerman » Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:27 pm

I see starbella has states she is on klonazepam for a week. This will probably sound like something to dismiss but I mean it with all my heart when I say it is tragic. The benzodiazpines destroy lives, they helped give me brain damage. I started taking them for the very same reason as you 4 years ago, and tried to get off after 1 and a half years, and could not. I tried to taper over 4 weeks, but that was not possible. After much research I learned that it takes about 12-18 months to taper from this drug if you have been on 3 months or more. I and other recovering klonazepam users give and get support at benzo dot org dot uk. This drug has more serious physical withdrawal symptoms that heroin, and they are very dangerous, unless you do it over a long time. it took me 12 months. Good luck.
lokerman

Postby newlifeiwant » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:52 pm

i have had this 4 years now feeling my heart beat in my finger tips when i try and relax i have felt it in my chest head in my ears and even in my bum when i sit down done all tests ever thing come back great got cattar headachs pin and needles aching all over jelly legs chest tightness like i can not breath and tender to touch when i lye down i keep watching my belly go up and down keep on take my pulse ever thing is normal ever time it stared with a viral infection all this did even have muscle ticks been told it fibro cause i feel drain most of the time i go to bed and sleep but get up feel tired like i have had no sleep take care all graham
newlifeiwant

Postby xstalkrx » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:51 am

Gar, are you still around? did you solve your problem?
xstalkrx

Postby extacee » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:13 pm

hi, I'm 18 and i too have had the same problem, it was a cold night and i was helping my sister's boyfriend and installing a audio system in his car, it started to rain, and i was pretty cold. then later that night my heart stared to rapidly beat out of nowhere, I'm guessing i had a panic attack but idk. i went to the doctor and he said everything was fine, but i didn't believe him cuz i still kinda feel the same. as of now i when i get cold i shiver and the sides of my chest twitches. i been stressing out a lot from the summer of 07' and i'm guessing that could be it.

i also got injured during football season when me and a other player hit head to head and i hurt my upper back, but haven't checked that out because my family is having money problems, so idk if that could be it. the pain from he injury went away for a month or so but when i maxed out during weight training the next day my back started too feel worse. Do you guys and gals think i should check out my local chiropractor?? i want to feel normal again! =]

:( :( :( :)
extacee

Postby MercyOnyou » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:00 pm

hey everyone.. i'm 20 years old now. i started w.panic attacks this past summer. i didnt even know what it was when i went to the Er for it. i didnt notice my heart was beating fast untill december when i had a sever panic attack which landed me in the hositpal for 6 days. my heart was beating 170 which is crazy. they gave me various of testes.. everything is fine. when i came out of the hositpal i could still feel my heart beating when i lay down .. sometimes i get so nervous i get another attack thinking im going to die. i went to the doctor hes giving me various of other testes to make sure its a panic attack .. but he says he feels it is panic attack but he wants to make sure which calms me down a bit. but i've notice when you dont pay attention to your heart beating it will slow down.. but since you are always thinking about it you gona feel it and its gona beat faster. its easy said then done.. but medications help good ;) yes panic attack is the worse feeling in the world but staying int he hositpal gets you more sick then having the attack so its good to relaxxx! thats what im gona do is to relax .
MercyOnyou

Postby specs3d » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:51 am

Gar1983 wrote:Hey, I.m new to this forum, im a 22 year old male from Los Angeles, i was wondering if anyone else feels this way, i can feel my heart always in my chest, about 90% of the time i can feel it, or am aware of it, it sometimes drives me crazy, when i sit down and stand up my heart rate increases by a large amount, maybe from 70-120 just by standing up, while im standing it beats fast as well, i have had an echo done and my doc says i have mild Mitral Valve Prolapse, but he says that MVP is nothing, and it preety much doesnt exist people make it a bigger deal then it is, but im not sure if this is from my mild MVP or from anxiety/panic, feeling my heart stresses me out, and sometimes i feel like im running out of breath, because that i am so aware of my heart beat i have been having panic attacks, and anxiety problems, because i think if i go out, something might happen and i might faint or fall, ekg's show my heart beating normal, no irregular beats.....i also have the tightness in the throat, and i think its from anxiety, because tums and pepcid ac do not help, umm...what else..also my nose glands are swollen most of the time wich makes it hard to breathe, my doc said that shouldnt be affecting your heart beat, sorry for typing so much, any help and advice would be much apreciated, thank you.

I ahev been here before in my life and that fact that you are aware of your heart is the reason why it seems like a bigger deal than it is. Yor doctor is correct and it isnt a big deal at all, but with the label such as "mild Mitral Valve Prolapse" you would have been led to believe that it was a physical condition but it isnt! You need to STOP placing your attention on where your attention is not needed! Your unconscious has everything it needs to beat your heart for you, just as it automatically heals you when youscrape your knee. This process is automatic and trying to consciously intevene is less than useless. Stop purposly putting your conscious attention on where it isnt needed, all of that time you using to focus on your heard beating easily by itself, you could be using to focus on other things that mean alot to you in ways that allow yu to experience more please in your daily life.

You never need to worry about what is already and naturally automaticly operating from birth, just know that your body does its job correctly and effeciantly and PUURFECTLY in all the ways its supposed to. Your body plays the role of your supportive partner in life, more so than something that you thought you had to control. Think of your body and heart as something that supports you in your positive daily endevours and future desires towards creating a better life. Be grateful for your body and become amazed at what it heas been doing for you all this time without you having to think about it at all! From now on make this your new direction of focus and habit and come up with a list of reasons for why and HOW doing this will benefit you. This wil help you to shift your perception in new and better areas that serve you.

Trust me iv already been there.... but you must realize that its ultimately and completly silliy to be purposly doing something that doesnt ultimately need any attention whats-so-ever! Realize that your body does it all FOR YOU!

Nicholas Finnegan
specs3d

Postby Cat80 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:36 pm

I too can feel my heart all the time and see it pulsating in my stomach. Because of my anixety I've convinced myself I have an aortic anerysm which I highly doubt as I'm only 27. It's very annoying to always be aware of my heartbeat and feel and see it pounding away even when I'm not too anxious
Cat80

Next