Quitting Weed after 10 years

Postby elcoco » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:27 pm

Hi All
I'm into day 4 of abstaining from smoking after 10 years of daily use. Im doing ok, but suffering insomnia, sweats, anger and depression. I've looked at some web sites and they say these symptons last 1 to 2 months, with the worst effects around day 10.

Pro-weed websites say weed isnt addictive - rubbish!!! Maybe cause I'm predisposed to compulsive behaviour. I get addicted to everything - ciggarettes, new girlfriends, prostitutes, you name it.

Anyway, I think ive finally got the right mindset. Im mentally ready to stop, but these physical and psycological withdrawal symptons are tough. Unfortunately I feel I can function better at work after a heavy night of weed smoking than I can after a night of no sleep.

I've taken a valium to help me sleep and stop the sweats but Im worried about getting addicted to this.

How have others coped? People say you need support, but I just get angry quickly at those who try to help.
elcoco

Likes Received: 0

Postby tarrantx » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:55 pm

I got angry at my addiction. I came to see it as an 'it,' not me. This allowed me to focus my anger on something and it prevented me from picking up. That addictive voice in my head is very small now - it's like it knows not to mess with me.

I also did other things that I enjoy a lot in the first few weeks - this was mainly playing online computer games. If you have something that you enjoy and involves other people it might be an idea to get mor involved in it. It was nice hanging out online with other gamers and knowing that addiction wasn't a common issue there. It reminded me that there's more to my interests than just drugs.

Oh, and I drank heaps of banana smoothies and diet soft drink.

Congratulations on day 4. Things might get hard around days 8-10, but it gets much easier after that, and there's often a sense of elation after the fog begins to lift, around 2 weeks it was for me. Good luck.
tarrantx

Postby scarlet » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:44 am

Aha, so i'm going through day 10 troubles, well that actually makes me feel better about being a nutter today. i certainly felt better yesterday... wow my little green friend just doesnt want to let go. That tricksy little devil.

My sleeping got better after about 4-5 days. And my back and neck muscles have relaxed a little.(hot baths with epsom salts help) It was all so exhausting that Im determined to avoid getting my self in the same position again.

Careful with that Valium... Ive opted for a Valerian sleep formula, double the dose at first, but down to one now. Id be too hesitant to risk another addiction... this sux enough.

Failing my previous quitting attempts over the years, led me to stock up on relaxing and mind consuming goodies for this attempt, mostly just from the supermarket and health food store.

Oh but I am so sick of my head today. I feel so annoying, fortunately now i can put it down to day 10 fever. Nnnahh, quiet you little green devil, its not me, its you.
scarlet

Postby jurplesman » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:37 am

Withdrawing from marijuana is not easy. The side effects that appear to last long are really the symptoms of the pre-existing metabolic disorder that made you enjoy marijuana as an antidote.

Most drug addicts including pot smokers are found to be hypoglycemic according to a four hour Medical Test for Hypoglycemia.

Thus it is important to treat the underlying hypoglycemic condition by going on a Hypoglycemic Diet.

From our experience it takes about six months to get the THC out of your system. It helps to do a lot of strenuous sweat producing exercises, sauna bath and fat soluble vitamins speeding up detoxification. But being on a hypoglycemic diet helps to adjust.

Read:

Treatment of Drug Addiction

for more nutritional tricks.

If you have problems with sleeping try taking Glycerine. This is better than drugs. It is to switch from one addiction to another. Valium is very addictive especially to druggies.

Also read:

Alcoholism is a Treatable Disease

Most of it applies to any addiction.

It is a question to get your body to produce serotonin again from natural food sources.
jurplesman

Postby elcoco » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:22 pm

Hi all
Thanks for your feedback.
now into day 5.
Doing ok. Still sweating and having trouble sleeping. And irritable. Or maybe I'm just a grump! Plus it's stinking hot here in Melbourne (Australia)tonight - making it harder.
Took a valium again tonight. hopefully only need then for a couple more days.
To jurplesman, thanks for diet info. Will try to follow it.

I went along with a friend tonight to teach english and maths to refugees & recent immigrants. I think having some other sense of purpose to replace the weed which has come to dominate and define my personality and life purpose. Felt good. However at home now and the withdrawals and cravings are worse.
Anyways, im going to make it through tonight. Will face tomorrow when it comes. One day at a time, that's the only way.
elcoco

Postby jurplesman » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:46 am

elcoco wrote:Plus it's stinking hot here in Melbourne (Australia)tonight - making it harder.

There are quite a few doctors in Melbourne who are familiar with hypoglycemia and can help you out.

Look up Dr Piesse in

Acnem Referral Practitioners
jurplesman

Postby Lilith78 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:09 am

This topic seems limited to Aussies :wink:
I think it's the moon or the planets, but it seems like there's alot of change in the air. People are getting hold and taking control of their stuff-whatever it is- and its great!
Good on everyone!
Hey....... where do you help out recent imigrants? That'd be awesome.
Lilith78

Postby svonk » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:05 am

Lilith78 wrote:This topic seems limited to Aussies :wink:
I think it's the moon or the planets, but it seems like there's alot of change in the air. People are getting hold and taking control of their stuff-whatever it is- and its great!
Good on everyone!
Hey....... where do you help out recent imigrants? That'd be awesome.

It's summer over there isn't it? That's when I always like smoking the most. Here it's winter.
svonk

Postby scarlet » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:48 am

It sure is summer. For me it's easier, getting out, going swimming. Although easy's not really the right word.

Jurplesman, your advice regarding a hypoglycemic diet is great. It is of course a highly recomendable way of eating for everyone. But, you see, i was brought up on a hypoglycemic diet. Organic brown rice with vegetables as king at my table. It's just how im used to eating. My father was a health freak from the 70's. Raw honey in my tea is often as wild as i get. And so for me smoking pot was more a way to get 'wild'. Let go of my strict rules and discipline at night when the day was done. Im active, healthy, a parent have a career and we just bought our second house, how straight can i be? Often I feel i suffer from the fact that many of my friends are still 'finding themselves' in Ibiza or table top dancing in Japan... And there's me responsible, hypoglycemic dieting, mother with very responsible life. Pot was my way to 'chill' a last bastion of my youth, a very powerful way of putting my feet up and saying 'up yours' to the world.

My mother, who i rarely saw as a child, is a heroin addict. (And funnily enough, educated as a natropath before she began her habbit) So I could always justify my use of pot as being harmless in comparison to her rediculous lifestyle. Also harmless compared to the drug filled weekends of my teens. Sometimes it was just too exhillerating to be bad. But the fact is: Hypoglycemic or not, after 15 years of smoking nearly every day, i can tell you the withdrawls are very real and not just a result of my diet. Perhaps my diet is why i could spend my days straight... but if you've hardly gone to bed straight in over a decade, lying in bed straight at night is plain weird and not too easy. Actually it's horrid.
But I think im old enough to be straight now.

ps: peaceful blessings to the recent imigrants and those who fear them...
scarlet

Postby Oinky » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:57 am

Scarlet, hang in there. I had terrible problems with sleep at first. My last spliff of the day was always in bed. It does pass, I am nearly at 8 weeks and I am sleeping like a baby now. This might help.

1) Increase your exercise - wear your self out. I walked for an extra two hours a day.

2) Go to sleep when you first start to feel tired if possible.

3) Never nap during the day or evening before bed.

4) Never lay in bed in the morning catcing up on sleep

and of course, the obvious, no caffine and don't drink anything three hourse before you go to bed.

Regards
Oinky

Postby elcoco » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:35 am

re helpng immigrants - ive been going to the SAIL program. Its for Sudanese immigrants. You help them with their english on a sat morning for 2 hours. I've also been doing a homework help program for kids living in the commission flats in flemginton and collingwood - wed and thurs nights. very rewarding. Let me know if your interested - they're always looking for help. their only condition is that you can make it every week cause you'er assigned a couple of students and they like you to develop a repore with them.
elcoco

Postby addicted4life » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:39 pm

I have been smoking weed for 24 years. Everyday for the past 17 years. I have quit a few times for a few weeks at the most. I definately am an addict and am trying to cut back on my usage. My husband is ready to quit and has somewhat of an easier time- i think- than I. He is ready to quit and I am not. I have no problem keeping it out of his face , or smoking outside the house in the garage. I just feel like such a loser having to 'use' weed to drown the pain. I am on some other meds for manic depression so I have a little harder time getting as high as most who aren't on other meds. It takes a lot more to make me feel 'stoned'. At 500$ an oz- this isn't good. It is cutting into our lifestyle lately, and we would live MUCH more comfortable financially, without my addiction. I do not have kids- Our pets ALWAYs get taken care of before I go out and get my weed. I just know with the 100's of thousands of dollars spent to get high, we'd have sooo much more in our life.
I have been off weed for the past 6 days- I am sick from it. Nightmares- vivid - waking up in terror and screaming, weed drowns out the nightmares and I don't remember them when I wake after having been stoned before bed. I need help becoming a more social smoker - rather than 'needing' it every day/all day/bedtime-etc. I work at home so it is very easy to find a few minitues every few hours to smoke.
HELP- I think I might have to go into a 30 day program or more to kick this horrible addiction that has been a love of my life for so long.

Thanks -
addicted 4 life (newbie)
addicted4life

Postby Oinky » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:57 pm

Addicted4life - The nightmares will pass. When I was on dope (as well as prozac) I could never remember my dreams. I have been of dope for 8 eeks now and just have regular sleep.

Don't feel bad about having to have taken the weed to kill the pain. A glance through some of the other threads will make you realise you are not alone.

I think it is worth while giving up weed, but you have to want to do it. You have gone 6 days so keep up the good work. As you are on other medication for your condition I am not sure whether going cold turkey from heavy use is the best way to do it, but take each time as it comes.

One of the things that helped me was really looking at my diet. There is alot on the web about mental health/addiction and diet. Also exercise helps. At those tough times put your coat on and go out for a walk (it also helps with sleep).

All the best
Oinky

Postby jurplesman » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:44 am

Read:

Nutrition against Drugs and Alcohol

and go to page 2.
jurplesman

Postby addicted4life » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:03 am

In appreciate both the info and the support- I do know I am not alone, I studied addiction for 4 years + living it- I have some sort of an idea of how many millions go through the same thing. I am not agains AA or NA, though the process/structure isn't for me. My diet is fine as far as what foods to eat to maintain a healthy emotional level, I am sure this is similar to the addiction dietary plan- In will read it i9n a moment (thanks jrpls..).
However, withn the nightmares/terrors, I had them vividly from as young as I can remember untill the first hit of weed. I have had peacful, restful sleep on meds- just what I take currently is NOT a good drug for restful sleep. I wake screaming and angry if not thc impaired before bed. I known this seems like an excuse but I definately think I have to wean myself off of weed slowly. I have committed to at this point cutting down significantly for my health and emotional wellbeing. I Intend on coming here and writing a little journal entry of when, how and why I want to smoke - when I get the urge. I hope this makes me think twice about what I am about to do with my life. thanks again for the info Oinky and jurpls.

-A4L
addicted4life

Next

Return to Addictions