how do you become a therapist?

Postby theboydonut » Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:30 pm

Hi there,

Can anyone give me any advice to get on the right track to becoming a therapist or social worker? any courses that are recommended?
Junior Member
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:14 pm


Postby TA » Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:46 am

I have had no training in the physcology field, but I work at a rehabilitation facility with teenagers with behavioral problems and chemical dependency. I know some of the juvenile facilities around here work with the kids on a treatment related level. Maybe you could volunteer or even apply for a position at a treatment facility, if there is one near you. I love my job, and it is almost like getting free therapy working there....ta
New Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2004 6:38 am
Location: IN


Postby insight » Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:24 pm

Anyone can call themself a therapist, you don't have to have a degree. However, professionally, if you want to be a psychologist or a counselor, you have to go to school. You can have a number of liscenses - generally though, if you want to go into your own business you will need a Ph.D.

Check out

Junior Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:40 pm
Location: Texas


Postby gnosis3000 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:18 pm

that's not quite true insight, there are many different types of therapist -please don't lump us all in the same bag.
To work in a hospital you have to be qualified and state registered.

you may like to look at the work of occupational therapists...

there are a number of ways to train in the uk -this may be different for other countries:
you can study for a Bsc (first degree)
if you already have a first degree you could take an accelerated learning course (2yrs) and get a post graduate diploma or an Msc.
you could take an unqualified position (e.g, recreational worker, occupational therapy assistant) -and take the in-service training route (4yrs)

I work in mental health, but our profession is represented in all areas of healthcare. If you try your local hospital, the ot dept should be willing to let you spend a half day with them to learn more. Personally, I love it because we get to do the practical stuff , working closely with patients using a client centred, holistic approach that enables people.

try the following websites for more info...

good luck with it all, I hope you find what you are looking for...
Junior Member
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:30 pm


Postby Michael Lank » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:49 pm

If you're interested in hypnotherapy/psychotherapy you might like to consider the Uncommon Knowledge Diploma.

If you want to become a social worker (in UK) CCETSW do a diploma and CQSW qualification. It may be worth talking to local authority Social Work departments, as I think some will still fund you to get the qualification if you work for them.
Michael Lank
Super Member
Posts: 5816
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2004 6:25 pm
Location: Lewes, UK


Postby insight » Fri Nov 05, 2004 4:05 pm

I was only quoting what my professor has told me in class. If you are talking about an occupational therapist, that is something quite different than a therapist you would go to for "psychological help". So I guess it depends on what type of therapist he wants to become.
Junior Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:40 pm
Location: Texas


Postby Madinstinct » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:39 am

Get a college degree in psychology or social work, then work in a residential drug treatment facility to start entry level.

Or, Start at entry-level, then become State and or nationally certified in some type of counseling. There are experience-track certification requiring only some course-work (depending on the state).
Junior Member
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:21 am
Location: Iowa

  • Similar Topics
    Last post

Return to Light Lounge