Nervous smiling is ruining my life

Postby wildheart » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:17 pm

In my job i work in a tiny office crammed with about 10 other women all much older than me. The office environment is quite negative, unmotivational and every one is facing each other -i am positive and work hard. Since working here a year and a half i have developed over probably the last year a constant nervous smile when facing, looking, talking to colleagues and it happens so much throughout my day in the office that it actually transfers to when i am with clients and even occasionally i find myself doing it with family and my husband. It is ruining my life, my ability to act normally and participate normally in any activities. I will try to avoid looking at people/situations sometimes because i know i am going to smurk (which is holding me back) -when i am smurking i know i am doing it and the more i try to stop it the worse it gets -it's a nightmare. I just want to go back to normal. I am not massively shy or under confident (though i was when i was younger due to having been bullied a lot through education) as i deal with complex situations and with a range of professionals in my job. This smurking has only really started whilst in this position but i want to overcome it as it's a good job. Because i smurk so much-colleagues/people distance themselves from me and start to smurk themselves back at me -without sounding too paranoid i can actually tell some colleagues seriously don't like me as a result of my smurking facial expressions. I just cannot control them. Can anyone advise me how to get out of this rut.
Thanks.
CJ
wildheart

Likes Received: 0

Postby novelty island » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:02 pm

i sometimes do a similar thing .. when i'm feeling nervous i chuckle at my own comments. i think it's coz i'm trying so hard to get people to like me.the rusult is i feel like a complete burk. i've noticed other people do it as well . the shy nervous types.
i take citalopram and some herbal stuff to help boost my self confidence .. when i'm feeling ok i don't do it
novelty island

Likes Received: 0